6600 GT too noisy.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 11, 2005 8:00:11 PM

Anyone with this problem ?
I have an XFX, 128M AGP. Watching a movie is a pain... Anyone knows if
there's a quieter heatsink replacement around ?

More about : 6600 noisy

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:09:47 PM

Arctic Cooling's various VGA Silencer models would fit the bill very well.

That, or up the volume or get good headphones.

"MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Anyone with this problem ?
> I have an XFX, 128M AGP. Watching a movie is a pain... Anyone knows if
> there's a quieter heatsink replacement around ?

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:52:59 PM

> Arctic Cooling's various VGA Silencer models would fit the bill very well.
Once they come out with one for the 6600 GT.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
January 12, 2005 1:19:22 AM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:00:11 -0000, "MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.com> wrote:

>Anyone with this problem ?
>I have an XFX, 128M AGP. Watching a movie is a pain...

Tried using surround/Dolby 5.1 headphones ?
Keeps out other noises too, like nagging wives.... :-) :-)

John Lewis

> Anyone knows if
>there's a quieter heatsink replacement around ?

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:17:10 AM

The bolt pattern should be the same as either the 6800's, the FX series, or
the Radeons.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
news:D i0Fd.1058$_d4.178@fed1read05...
> > Arctic Cooling's various VGA Silencer models would fit the bill very
well.
> Once they come out with one for the 6600 GT.
January 13, 2005 8:22:58 PM

> The bolt pattern should be the same as either the 6800's, the FX series,
or
> the Radeons.

They don't have anything in stock for 6600.
January 13, 2005 8:22:59 PM

If you can solder, this is a fix. Put a 10k resistor in series on the red
wire going to the fan. If the fan turns too slow, reduce the ohm rating
accordingly.

DaveL

> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > The bolt pattern should be the same as either the 6800's, the FX series,
> or
> > the Radeons.
> >
> They don't have anything in stock for 6600.

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:40:28 AM

zalman sell one got the 6600gt, its sitting here beside me until I get my
act together....

check www.quietpc.com

"MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Anyone with this problem ?
> I have an XFX, 128M AGP. Watching a movie is a pain... Anyone knows if
> there's a quieter heatsink replacement around ?

January 14, 2005 2:43:11 AM

John Muir" <John.Muir@ukgateway.net> wrote in message
> zalman sell one got the 6600gt, its sitting here beside me until I get my
> act together....
>
> check www.quietpc.com

Which model have you got ? I contacted zalman as well and they told me that
any model would fit on a 6600.
Did you get the heatsink only or even the fan ?
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 3:34:17 PM

DaveL wrote:

> If you can solder, this is a fix. Put a 10k resistor in series on
> the red wire going to the fan. If the fan turns too slow, reduce the
> ohm rating accordingly.

Wow, are you sure about that 10k resistor? Seems like that would drop just
about all the 12VDC to almost nothing for the fan.

--
dvus
January 14, 2005 3:34:18 PM

Well, it's been a while since I did that trick. Maybe it's 1k. So OK,
start with 1k and increase till the noise is down to an acceptable level.
How's that?

DaveL

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> DaveL wrote:
>
>> If you can solder, this is a fix. Put a 10k resistor in series on
>> the red wire going to the fan. If the fan turns too slow, reduce the
>> ohm rating accordingly.
>
> Wow, are you sure about that 10k resistor? Seems like that would drop just
> about all the 12VDC to almost nothing for the fan.
>
> --
> dvus

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:10:13 AM

--
dvus
Anonymous

DaveL wrote:
> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote:
>> DaveL wrote:

>>> If you can solder, this is a fix. Put a 10k resistor in series on
>>> the red wire going to the fan. If the fan turns too slow, reduce
>>> the ohm rating accordingly.
>>
>> Wow, are you sure about that 10k resistor? Seems like that would
>> drop just about all the 12VDC to almost nothing for the fan.

> Well, it's been a while since I did that trick. Maybe it's 1k. So
> OK, start with 1k and increase till the noise is down to an
> acceptable level. How's that?

[sorry about the blank post, had a senior moment there]
Yeah, that seems better, I'd guess you'd have to go down from there to get
any speed at all from the fan.
Might be worth mentioning that anything around 5 watts should be more than
sufficient.

--
dvus
January 15, 2005 1:21:27 AM

5 watts is way over kill. I used 1/2 watt resistors with no problems. I
once used a 1/4 watt resistor on a cpu fan and it shorted out.

> DaveL wrote:

>>> Wow, are you sure about that 10k resistor? Seems like that would
>>> drop just about all the 12VDC to almost nothing for the fan.
>
>> Well, it's been a while since I did that trick. Maybe it's 1k. So
>> OK, start with 1k and increase till the noise is down to an
>> acceptable level. How's that?
>
> [sorry about the blank post, had a senior moment there]
> Yeah, that seems better, I'd guess you'd have to go down from there to get
> any speed at all from the fan.
> Might be worth mentioning that anything around 5 watts should be more than
> sufficient.
>
> --
> dvus

January 15, 2005 2:06:03 AM

Basically you're reducing the voltage and hence the air flow...
I am sure it needs all the air flows it has now, otherwise the fan wouldn't
speed when plying games.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Well, it's been a while since I did that trick. Maybe it's 1k. So OK,
> start with 1k and increase till the noise is down to an acceptable level.
> How's that?
>
> DaveL
>

> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> DaveL wrote:
>>
>>> If you can solder, this is a fix. Put a 10k resistor in series on
>>> the red wire going to the fan. If the fan turns too slow, reduce the
>>> ohm rating accordingly.
>>
>> Wow, are you sure about that 10k resistor? Seems like that would drop
>> just about all the 12VDC to almost nothing for the fan.
>>
>> --
>> dvus

January 15, 2005 2:06:04 AM

Yes, that's true. Reducing voltage to the fan slows it down causing it to
quiet. The down side is reduced cooling. But many cards do not require as
much cooling as the cheap little screamers they put on these cards make. I
first did this mod with a Volcano cpu heatsinc/fan. Lowered the speed from
5000 rpm to 3000. Loud computers do not belong in the house. They belong
in a server room. I went on to mod a few GF3 cards back in the day because
they came with these high pitched, piercing little fans. I never had one
problem with cooling or anything else with these mods.

DaveL

"MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> Basically you're reducing the voltage and hence the air flow...
> I am sure it needs all the air flows it has now, otherwise the fan
> wouldn't speed when plying games.
>
> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Well, it's been a while since I did that trick. Maybe it's 1k. So OK,
>> start with 1k and increase till the noise is down to an acceptable level.
>> How's that?
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>>> Wow, are you sure about that 10k resistor? Seems like that would drop
>>> just about all the 12VDC to almost nothing for the fan.
>>>
>>> --
>>> dvus

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 1:02:04 PM

DaveL wrote:
> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> DaveL wrote:

>>> Well, it's been a while since I did that trick. Maybe it's 1k. So
>>> OK, start with 1k and increase till the noise is down to an
>>> acceptable level. How's that?
>>
>> [sorry about the blank post, had a senior moment there]
>> Yeah, that seems better, I'd guess you'd have to go down from there
>> to get any speed at all from the fan.
>> Might be worth mentioning that anything around 5 watts should be
>> more than sufficient.

> 5 watts is way over kill. I used 1/2 watt resistors with no
> problems. I once used a 1/4 watt resistor on a cpu fan and it
> shorted out.

I believe in building things to be bullet proof. I actually figured it out
to be 1-1/2 watts, but went big to be sure.

--
dvus
January 15, 2005 2:42:28 PM

You convinced me, I have nothing to lose to give it a try. Can you direct me
to web pages to have a quick glance ???
Once I am there it would be nice to put a knob to regulated fan speed ;)

> Yes, that's true. Reducing voltage to the fan slows it down causing it to
> quiet. The down side is reduced cooling. But many cards do not require
> as much cooling as the cheap little screamers they put on these cards
> make. I first did this mod with a Volcano cpu heatsinc/fan. Lowered the
> speed from 5000 rpm to 3000. Loud computers do not belong in the house.
> They belong in a server room. I went on to mod a few GF3 cards back in
> the day because they came with these high pitched, piercing little fans.
> I never had one problem with cooling or anything else with these mods.
>
> DaveL
>

> "MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Basically you're reducing the voltage and hence the air flow...
>> I am sure it needs all the air flows it has now, otherwise the fan
>> wouldn't speed when plying games.
>>
>> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Well, it's been a while since I did that trick. Maybe it's 1k. So OK,
>>> start with 1k and increase till the noise is down to an acceptable
>>> level. How's that?
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message

January 15, 2005 2:42:29 PM

If you know what you are doing, it would be quite easy to solder in a 1k or
5k ohm potentiometer, sometimes called a pot or rheostat. These have three
connections. Cut the red lead of the fan and attach one end to the middle
leg of the pot and the other end to one of the other legs. This way you can
dial in the desired resistance from zero ohms all the way up to the maximum
of the pot. It's best to check the operation of the pot with an ohm meter.
Set the pot initially for zero ohms and begin turning till the fan quiets.

> You convinced me, I have nothing to lose to give it a try. Can you direct
> me to web pages to have a quick glance ???
> Once I am there it would be nice to put a knob to regulated fan speed ;)
>

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, that's true. Reducing voltage to the fan slows it down causing it
>> to quiet. The down side is reduced cooling. But many cards do not
>> require as much cooling as the cheap little screamers they put on these
>> cards make. I first did this mod with a Volcano cpu heatsinc/fan.
>> Lowered the speed from 5000 rpm to 3000. Loud computers do not belong in
>> the house. They belong in a server room. I went on to mod a few GF3
>> cards back in the day because they came with these high pitched, piercing
>> little fans. I never had one problem with cooling or anything else with
>> these mods.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Basically you're reducing the voltage and hence the air flow...
>>> I am sure it needs all the air flows it has now, otherwise the fan
>>> wouldn't speed when plying games.
>>>
>>> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message

January 15, 2005 2:42:30 PM

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
Here is a essentially the same think already made by Zalman. I think the
connector are for cpu and case fans but could be retrofitted for vga use
with some ingenuity.

This is real elaborate.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
They come in black too.

DaveL

> If you know what you are doing, it would be quite easy to solder in a 1k
> or 5k ohm potentiometer, sometimes called a pot or rheostat. These have
> three connections. Cut the red lead of the fan and attach one end to the
> middle leg of the pot and the other end to one of the other legs. This
> way you can dial in the desired resistance from zero ohms all the way up
> to the maximum of the pot. It's best to check the operation of the pot
> with an ohm meter. Set the pot initially for zero ohms and begin turning
> till the fan quiets.
>
> DaveL
>

> "MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
>> You convinced me, I have nothing to lose to give it a try. Can you direct
>> me to web pages to have a quick glance ???
>> Once I am there it would be nice to put a knob to regulated fan speed ;)
>>

>> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Yes, that's true. Reducing voltage to the fan slows it down causing it
>>> to quiet. The down side is reduced cooling. But many cards do not
>>> require as much cooling as the cheap little screamers they put on these
>>> cards make. I first did this mod with a Volcano cpu heatsinc/fan.
>>> Lowered the speed from 5000 rpm to 3000. Loud computers do not belong
>>> in the house. They belong in a server room. I went on to mod a few GF3
>>> cards back in the day because they came with these high pitched,
>>> piercing little fans. I never had one problem with cooling or anything
>>> else with these mods.
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 5:11:08 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:42:28 -0000, "MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.co.uk> wrote:

>You convinced me, I have nothing to lose to give it a try. Can you direct me
>to web pages to have a quick glance ???
>Once I am there it would be nice to put a knob to regulated fan speed ;)

If you're determined to mod the fan speed then you might want to look
into PWM (pulse width modulation) control instead of a "heat emitting
resistor."

There are several methods to achieve PWM control. Many websites have
plans for 555-based controllers with temperature sensing. I would
probably use a small (8 pin) microcontroller with an A/D input and PWM
output for additional "smarts."

Google for "pwm fan regulator OR controller"

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Anonymous

>You convinced me, I have nothing to lose to give it a try. Can you direct me
>to web pages to have a quick glance ???
>Once I am there it would be nice to put a knob to regulated fan speed ;)

This works very well with fans, is cheap, and has a high wattage rating. In
case you decide to ever use it with a different fan.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?cate...
5&type=store
January 17, 2005 4:46:22 PM

>DaveL wrote:
>
>> If you can solder, this is a fix. Put a 10k resistor in series on
>> the red wire going to the fan. If the fan turns too slow, reduce the
>> ohm rating accordingly.
>
>Wow, are you sure about that 10k resistor? Seems like that would drop just
>about all the 12VDC to almost nothing for the fan.

It certainly would.

I use 3-watt resistors in my system to slow my fans, but I suggest the value of
the resistor should be in the range 27ohm, 33ohm, 47ohm or 68ohm.

I use 68ohm for my 120ohms for my 2 120mm case fans and still get reasonable
airflow but are almost silent.

HTH

Mike
January 17, 2005 5:33:49 PM

>On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:42:28 -0000, "MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>You convinced me, I have nothing to lose to give it a try. Can you direct me
>>to web pages to have a quick glance ???
>>Once I am there it would be nice to put a knob to regulated fan speed ;)
>
>If you're determined to mod the fan speed then you might want to look
>into PWM (pulse width modulation) control instead of a "heat emitting
>resistor."
>
>There are several methods to achieve PWM control. Many websites have
>plans for 555-based controllers with temperature sensing. I would
>probably use a small (8 pin) microcontroller with an A/D input and PWM
>output for additional "smarts."
>
>Google for "pwm fan regulator OR controller"

The only problem with PWM controllers is their tendency to induce a slight
clicking into the fan due to the power being switched on-off quickly. I've
tried several and found it can be annoying and is especially noticeable when you
run a very quiet system.
One can get a little paranoid and start hearing the slightest small noise
especially when the m/c is very quiet and its located on a desk almost at ear
level so I've stopped using them for the reason above.

I have used 3watt resistors in the past to do the job, or just using +5 & +12v
to give 7v works well, and yes most methods have their +/- .

There really should not be any heat generation from a 3watt resistor unless its
being loaded by 2 or more fans, plus the fact that the product of using a
resistor in series will reduce the total current being drawn by the fan.
PWM control is certainly the most efficient but its also the noisiest.
Have you ever listened to the ones produced by Vantec, even the controllers
themselves create a ticking sound which one can hear if very close.

I currently use a very simple controller, where I have stripped off all the
components from a 31/2" Vantec unit and use 317T variable voltage regs instead,
yes there is a small amount of slight warmth from the regs but only just! and it
suits my purpose well.

I find that when you get your system very quiet especially if your located in a
quiet room you start hearing sounds you wouldn't normally hear. I have a 120mm
fan in a new power supply which has a tendency to resonate very slightly, my
wife cannot hear it but I find it annoys me, and no doubt I shall be swapping
the fan for another before long. :-)))

I hate noisy systems and have gone to some lengths to make it quite. ie.
replaced chipset cooler fans with large home made passive h/sink, removed fan
from my 6800gt card and I now use a home-made blank pci card which carries a
slowed down 80mm fan and blows air onto the agp card from the adjacent slot.
I tried one of the Artic Cooler vga silencers but found they were still a little
too noisy for my liking. A couple of slowed down 120mm case and side fans
complete the job and the system is very quiet indeed.

The secret is big fans running slow.

Best wishes

Mike
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:20:18 PM

Mike wrote:

[snip]
> I hate noisy systems and have gone to some lengths to make it quite.
> ie. replaced chipset cooler fans with large home made passive h/sink,
> removed fan from my 6800gt card and I now use a home-made blank pci
> card which carries a slowed down 80mm fan and blows air onto the agp
> card from the adjacent slot.
> I tried one of the Artic Cooler vga silencers but found they were
> still a little too noisy for my liking. A couple of slowed down 120mm
> case and side fans complete the job and the system is very quiet
> indeed.

Wow, you wouldn't like my system at ALL. But, I find the sounds of 8 or so
fans blowing heat off stuff kinda reassuring.

--
dvus
!