Is my (aeolus) Geforce 6600 GT AGP busted?

I just made a new system but kept hold of my old PSU (300 watt) which
consists of ABIT KV8-PRO, AMD 64 3000+, 512 PC3200, 200Gb SATA Seagate.
Thats all there is in there at the moment. (and the Aeolus Geforce 6600 GT)

I put XP Pro on clean and then installed the latest Forceware drivers and
after a quick restart my computer just gets to the bit before your desktop
loads and leaves you with a black screen with the mouse pointer. If I then
try and move the mouse its as if the screen is updating once every 20
seconds. There is no hard disk activity at this time.

When I take the 6600 out and put my old Geforce ti3200 back in it all works
perfect again.

Could I need a new PSU? Should I just return the 6600GT and get one from a
different manufacturer such as the BFG one? Has anyone else tried the Aeolus
one?

Many thanks for your help, its annoying me like hell!

Regards

Dan B

You need a larger output PSU.

--
DaveW

"Dan B" <dan@blah.com> wrote in message
>I just made a new system but kept hold of my old PSU (300 watt) which
> consists of ABIT KV8-PRO, AMD 64 3000+, 512 PC3200, 200Gb SATA Seagate.
> Thats all there is in there at the moment. (and the Aeolus Geforce 6600
> GT)
>
> I put XP Pro on clean and then installed the latest Forceware drivers and
> after a quick restart my computer just gets to the bit before your desktop
> loads and leaves you with a black screen with the mouse pointer. If I then
> try and move the mouse its as if the screen is updating once every 20
> seconds. There is no hard disk activity at this time.
>
> When I take the 6600 out and put my old Geforce ti3200 back in it all
> works
> perfect again.
>
> Could I need a new PSU? Should I just return the 6600GT and get one from a
> different manufacturer such as the BFG one? Has anyone else tried the
> Aeolus
> one?
>
> Many thanks for your help, its annoying me like hell!
>
> Regards
>
> Dan B

Sounds like it could help things greatly but I can only get into windows
with my Geforce ti3200 attached and so when I run this program it shows that
rather than the 6600GT. If I then put the 6600GT back in i wont be able to
get into windows.

Hang on I guess I could try Safe Mode.....

"mine" <mine@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Dan B wrote:
> > Many thanks for your help, its annoying me like hell!
>
> 1) Connect the AGP card to the PSU
> 2) Disable "Fast Write" in the bios
> 3) Download PCI latency tool and set the AGP card to 64
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>
> > Regards
> >
> > Dan B
>
> --
> Ciao mine
> http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Mine

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Dan B wrote:
> Sounds like it could help things greatly but I can only get into windows
> with my Geforce ti3200 attached and so when I run this program it shows that
> rather than the 6600GT. If I then put the 6600GT back in i wont be able to
> get into windows.

What kind of PSU are You using? A good quality 370 Watt is needed and You
*must* connect it to the card in order to get stability ;-)

The PCI latency program is not compulsory (I'm wondering if this is the right
word in english LOL :p)

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Its 300 watts and thats about all i know. Its connected to the card also.

i tried the program and it got into windows but then the whole thing locked
up after about 10 seconds. I wish I had a spare psu to try.

Is the locking up thing a characteristic of a low powered PSU?

thanks for your help man, ill try it all again tomorrow. its been a long day

Dan

> Dan B wrote:
> > Sounds like it could help things greatly but I can only get into windows
> > with my Geforce ti3200 attached and so when I run this program it shows
that
> > rather than the 6600GT. If I then put the 6600GT back in i wont be able
> > get into windows.
>
> What kind of PSU are You using? A good quality 370 Watt is needed and You
> *must* connect it to the card in order to get stability ;-)
>
> The PCI latency program is not compulsory (I'm wondering if this is the
right
> word in english LOL :p)
>
> --
> Ciao mine
> http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Mine

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Dan B wrote:
> Its 300 watts and thats about all i know. Its connected to the card also.

Bingo! This is what is driving You crazy man! If you want to use the 6600GT
You *must* have at least a good 370 Watt and connect to the card, as I said
before. I suggest Enermax PSU ;-)

> Is the locking up thing a characteristic of a low powered PSU?

Yes it is: Not enough amperage on the AGP bus

> thanks for your help man, ill try it all again tomorrow. its been a long day

Bye!

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Right I'll try and get hold of one today and see what happens!

Thanks dudes!

Dan

> You need a larger output PSU.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Dan B" <dan@blah.com> wrote in message
> >I just made a new system but kept hold of my old PSU (300 watt) which
> > consists of ABIT KV8-PRO, AMD 64 3000+, 512 PC3200, 200Gb SATA Seagate.
> > Thats all there is in there at the moment. (and the Aeolus Geforce 6600
> > GT)
> >
> > I put XP Pro on clean and then installed the latest Forceware drivers
and
> > after a quick restart my computer just gets to the bit before your
desktop
> > loads and leaves you with a black screen with the mouse pointer. If I
then
> > try and move the mouse its as if the screen is updating once every 20
> > seconds. There is no hard disk activity at this time.
> >
> > When I take the 6600 out and put my old Geforce ti3200 back in it all
> > works
> > perfect again.
> >
> > Could I need a new PSU? Should I just return the 6600GT and get one from
> > different manufacturer such as the BFG one? Has anyone else tried the
> > Aeolus
> > one?
> >
> > Many thanks for your help, its annoying me like hell!
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Dan B

HB

> Dan B wrote:
> > Its 300 watts and thats about all i know. Its connected to the card
also.

> Bingo! This is what is driving You crazy man! If you want to use the
6600GT
> You *must* have at least a good 370 Watt and connect to the card, as I
said
> before. I suggest Enermax PSU ;-)

I'll admit I don't know much about 3d cards, but I thought the graphics
card only drew a lot of power when doing 3d stuff, not the windows desktop ?
Wouldn't a 6600gt be doing exactly the same amount of work as a riva TNT
when its showing the desktop ?

"mine" <mine@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Dan B wrote:
>> Many thanks for your help, its annoying me like hell!
>
> 1) Connect the AGP card to the PSU
> 2) Disable "Fast Write" in the bios
> 3) Download PCI latency tool and set the AGP card to 64
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>
>> Regards
>>
>> Dan B
>
> --
> Ciao mine
> http://metropolis.blogs.com/

I'm not having probs with my BFG 6600GT OC, but out of curiousity I ran the
tool and I'm showing only 32 as my cards latency... good, yes?

From the readme I think you wouldn't want to go higher, only lower. Am I OK
in making that deductive leap?

!bungle

Mine

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

!bungle wrote:
> I'm not having probs with my BFG 6600GT OC, but out of curiousity I ran the
> tool and I'm showing only 32 as my cards latency... good, yes?

Yes it is

> From the readme I think you wouldn't want to go higher, only lower. Am I OK
> in making that deductive leap?

You're right guys, but the most important thing is to have matching latency in
VGA and Bios ;-)

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/