BFG 6600gt oc agp locking up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 14, 2005 2:22:44 AM

I bought a BFG 6600gt oc AGP last week and I can't run any 3d application
for longer than 3 minutes before the PC locks up.
I cant even run the 'Dawn' demo!
I can't run any of the games I used to run on my Ti4200.

I was running 66.93 and I'm now on 67.03
Latest bios applied
Latest SIS chipset data applied
350watt power supply (new) - dongle plugged into graphics board
P4 2.66Ghz
512mb

I've e-mailed BFG, any suggestions while I'm waiting for a response??

--
Regards
Spencer

More about : bfg 6600gt agp locking

January 14, 2005 2:28:26 AM

Spencer wrote:
> I've e-mailed BFG, any suggestions while I'm waiting for a response??

2) Disable "Fast Write" in the bios
3) Set AGP Aperture Size in the bios at "128MB"
4) Set PCI latency in the bios at "64"
5) Download PCI latency tool and set the AGP card latency to 64

Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:07:04 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:22:44 -0000, "Spencer"
<Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I bought a BFG 6600gt oc AGP last week and I can't run any 3d application
>for longer than 3 minutes before the PC locks up.
>I cant even run the 'Dawn' demo!
>I can't run any of the games I used to run on my Ti4200.
>
>I was running 66.93 and I'm now on 67.03
>Latest bios applied
>Latest SIS chipset data applied
>350watt power supply (new) - dongle plugged into graphics board
>P4 2.66Ghz
>512mb

I'm going to check "mine's" suggestions for my vanilla 6600GT/AGP.
But I'm not sure that the suggested tweaks are all that's necessary
(although I hope so!).

My pessimism results from being able to run Battlefield Vietnam (with
the WW2 mod) for long periods on many separate days with NO problems
other than needing the 67.03 driver due to having a SiS 735 chipset.

But sometimes the &$%&% thing gets into the same lock up routine that
you've seen (infinite sound loop, screen freeze, keyboard/mouse not
responding) even when launching immediately after a clean boot.

Temporary files not being cleaned up? Wrong phase of the moon? BTSOOM.

I'm off to try the PCI latency tool. Sounds promising...

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Related resources

Let me know how it goes, I've found with mine that I can run the Nvidia
demos if I drop the res from 1280x1024 (MyTFT screens(2) native res) down to
1280x960.
But HalfLife2 still locks up after a short time. Haven't tried anything else
yet.

--
Regards
Spencer

"Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:22:44 -0000, "Spencer"
> <Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I bought a BFG 6600gt oc AGP last week and I can't run any 3d application
> >for longer than 3 minutes before the PC locks up.
> >I cant even run the 'Dawn' demo!
> >I can't run any of the games I used to run on my Ti4200.
> >
> >I was running 66.93 and I'm now on 67.03
> >Latest bios applied
> >Latest SIS chipset data applied
> >350watt power supply (new) - dongle plugged into graphics board
> >P4 2.66Ghz
> >512mb
>
> I'm going to check "mine's" suggestions for my vanilla 6600GT/AGP.
> But I'm not sure that the suggested tweaks are all that's necessary
> (although I hope so!).
>
> My pessimism results from being able to run Battlefield Vietnam (with
> the WW2 mod) for long periods on many separate days with NO problems
> other than needing the 67.03 driver due to having a SiS 735 chipset.
>
> But sometimes the &$%&% thing gets into the same lock up routine that
> you've seen (infinite sound loop, screen freeze, keyboard/mouse not
> responding) even when launching immediately after a clean boot.
>
> Temporary files not being cleaned up? Wrong phase of the moon? BTSOOM.
>
> I'm off to try the PCI latency tool. Sounds promising...
>
> --
> Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:19:22 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:22:44 -0000, "Spencer"
<Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I bought a BFG 6600gt oc AGP last week and I can't run any 3d application
>for longer than 3 minutes before the PC locks up.
>I cant even run the 'Dawn' demo!
>I can't run any of the games I used to run on my Ti4200.
>
>I was running 66.93 and I'm now on 67.03
>Latest bios applied
>Latest SIS chipset data applied
>350watt power supply (new) - dongle plugged into graphics board
>P4 2.66Ghz
>512mb

Overheating?

After upgrading from a Leadtek FX5900 to a BFG6600GT I had massive
problems with lockups but since installing 2 new fans its running
fine.

>I've e-mailed BFG, any suggestions while I'm waiting for a response??

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

do everything that mine said cause it sorted ma exact same porob

"Spencer" <Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I bought a BFG 6600gt oc AGP last week and I can't run any 3d application
> for longer than 3 minutes before the PC locks up.
> I cant even run the 'Dawn' demo!
> I can't run any of the games I used to run on my Ti4200.
>
> I was running 66.93 and I'm now on 67.03
> Latest bios applied
> Latest SIS chipset data applied
> 350watt power supply (new) - dongle plugged into graphics board
> P4 2.66Ghz
> 512mb
>

> I've e-mailed BFG, any suggestions while I'm waiting for a response??
>
> --
> Regards
> Spencer

January 15, 2005 1:13:55 AM

I think I'm going to have to, or put my Ti4200 back in - at least that
worked.
I've had this PC over two years without a crash or lockup of any sort and
since 'upgrading' I've had nothing but problems. It looks as if Nvidia
rushed this
beast to market long before it was ready.

--
Regards
Spencer

"RanCor TDO" <rosyth_dj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> do everything that mine said cause it sorted ma exact same porob
>

> "Spencer" <Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I bought a BFG 6600gt oc AGP last week and I can't run any 3d application
> > for longer than 3 minutes before the PC locks up.
> > I cant even run the 'Dawn' demo!
> > I can't run any of the games I used to run on my Ti4200.
> >
> > I was running 66.93 and I'm now on 67.03
> > Latest bios applied
> > Latest SIS chipset data applied
> > 350watt power supply (new) - dongle plugged into graphics board
> > P4 2.66Ghz
> > 512mb
> >

> > I've e-mailed BFG, any suggestions while I'm waiting for a response??
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Spencer

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 3:14:32 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:13:55 -0000, "Spencer"
<Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I think I'm going to have to, or put my Ti4200 back in - at least that
>worked.
>I've had this PC over two years without a crash or lockup of any sort and
>since 'upgrading' I've had nothing but problems. It looks as if Nvidia
>rushed this
>beast to market long before it was ready.

I applied all of the "mine" recommended fixes. The only one I was
"missing" was the AGP aperture; I'd been at 64M and increased it to
128M.

Still got a crash to reboot and a couple of lockups.

MAYBE my problem is/was cooling. I've had an aux fan to recirc air in
the card cage area that was blowing *towards* the AGP slot. Might have
been robbing the card's fan of cooling air? <shrug> I reversed the
direction of the aux fan and no problems so far.

On the other hand, I had hours of good behavior with the fan in the
original orientation (and hours of frustration with repeated lockups) so
I can't claim that causality is established.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
January 17, 2005 11:23:59 AM

This PCI Latency tool does not work properly for me. I set the ATI video
card to 128 and even though I have "apply on restart" selected, it goes back
to the original setting of 255. Also, most settings can't be changed and it
improperly identifies my soundstorm as some kind of Via chip.

DaveL

"mine" <mine@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Spencer wrote:
>> I've e-mailed BFG, any suggestions while I'm waiting for a response??
>
> 2) Disable "Fast Write" in the bios
> 3) Set AGP Aperture Size in the bios at "128MB"
> 4) Set PCI latency in the bios at "64"
> 5) Download PCI latency tool and set the AGP card latency to 64
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>
> --
> Ciao mine
> http://metropolis.blogs.com/
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 11:19:17 AM

Hey, just a thought guys are any of you running XP service pack 2?

I was and had all the above problems with my BFG6600GT OC card. (Also
running a 3100+ Sempron overclocked to 245mhz without even a voltage
mod at 51 degrees under load- how cool is that chip - thanks AMD)

Was pulling my hair out until I found a way of disabling the no execute
part of SP2 designed to protect the processor. NVIDIA drivers from high
60's onwards seem to have a problem with this causing lock ups and STOP
As all over the place.

Just edit the boot.ini file (in the root directory of you boot
harddrive - may need to change the folder options in explorer to untick
the hide system files option to see it). You have to change this from a
read only archive file in the properties section first but then edit it
and change the noexecute from optin to AlwaysOff (make sure it's one
word).

Card has worked like a dream since. This also fixed the really poor
performance my friend was getting with some games on his 6800GT PCIe
powered 3.6G pIV and problems another friend had with a XP2500+ and a
4600 card after he had installed new drivers.

--
Tigrian
Anonymous

Tigrian wrote:

> Hey, just a thought guys are any of you running XP service pack 2?
>
> I was and had all the above problems with my BFG6600GT OC card. (Also
> running a 3100+ Sempron overclocked to 245mhz without even a voltage
> mod at 51 degrees under load- how cool is that chip - thanks AMD)
>
> Was pulling my hair out until I found a way of disabling the no
> execute part of SP2 designed to protect the processor. NVIDIA drivers
> from high 60's onwards seem to have a problem with this causing lock
> ups and STOP As all over the place.
>
> Just edit the boot.ini file (in the root directory of you boot
> harddrive - may need to change the folder options in explorer to
> untick the hide system files option to see it). You have to change
> this from a read only archive file in the properties section first
> but then edit it and change the noexecute from optin to AlwaysOff
> (make sure it's one word).
>
> Card has worked like a dream since. This also fixed the really poor
> performance my friend was getting with some games on his 6800GT PCIe
> powered 3.6G pIV and problems another friend had with a XP2500+ and a
> 4600 card after he had installed new drivers.

Does anyone know the downside of changing this entry? It must be there for a
reason.

--
dvus
Anonymous

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:19:17 +0000, Tigrian
<Tigrian.1j977m@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

>Hey, just a thought guys are any of you running XP service pack 2?
>
>I was and had all the above problems with my BFG6600GT OC card. (Also
>running a 3100+ Sempron overclocked to 245mhz without even a voltage
>mod at 51 degrees under load- how cool is that chip - thanks AMD)
>
>Was pulling my hair out until I found a way of disabling the no execute
>part of SP2 designed to protect the processor. NVIDIA drivers from high
>60's onwards seem to have a problem with this causing lock ups and STOP
>As all over the place.

For those (like me) who weren't up to speed on just what this
"noexecute" beastie is and what it does:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=223...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

It's certainly a plausible reason for a Window kernel panic being caused
by a video driver, since NVidia may play fast'n'loose within their own
code in order to gain a few extra cycles and/or be affected by WinXP
attempting to "protect" the execution.

>Just edit the boot.ini file (in the root directory of you boot
>harddrive - may need to change the folder options in explorer to untick
>the hide system files option to see it). You have to change this from a
>read only archive file in the properties section first but then edit it
>and change the noexecute from optin to AlwaysOff (make sure it's one
>word).
>
>Card has worked like a dream since. This also fixed the really poor
>performance my friend was getting with some games on his 6800GT PCIe
>powered 3.6G pIV and problems another friend had with a XP2500+ and a
>4600 card after he had installed new drivers.

Performance speed shouldn't be too affected for systems with processors
that support this in hardware, since NX/XD a magic processor setting
that executes in parallel with the pipelines. Might very well have an
effect on systems without the hardware support where Windows handles the
protection with software.

AMD uses no-execute page-protection (NX), Intel the Execute Disable bit
(XD).

For systems with processors that don't offer hardware-based protection,
Windows XP SP2 uses a software version of data execution protection. It
seems plausible that Windows would attempt this for code executed by the
video driver and that doing it using software rather than the
processor's hardware could indeed result in slower execution and less
stability.

Rather than mucking about with file permissions, for users with WinXP
that are running from an account with administrator privileges (probably
most of us) fire up the System applet from the Control Panel and go to
the Advanced Tab and then the Settings button in Startup and Recovery.
This lets you change the boot.ini from the Edit button. As usual for
Windows, you'll need to reboot the system for this to take effect.

I can't find a nice list of processors that do have the hardware
capability other than a vague hand waving towards AMD-64, Opteron, and
Pentium-IV processors past a certain stepping rev. Individually, its
possible to check whether a particular processor has the hardware for
this by firing up the System applet, Advanced, Performance, and then the
Data Execution Prevention tab.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Anonymous

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Tigrian wrote:
>
>> Hey, just a thought guys are any of you running XP service pack 2?
>>
>> I was and had all the above problems with my BFG6600GT OC card. (Also
>> running a 3100+ Sempron overclocked to 245mhz without even a voltage
>> mod at 51 degrees under load- how cool is that chip - thanks AMD)
>>
>> Was pulling my hair out until I found a way of disabling the no
>> execute part of SP2 designed to protect the processor. NVIDIA drivers
>> from high 60's onwards seem to have a problem with this causing lock
>> ups and STOP As all over the place.
>>
>> Just edit the boot.ini file (in the root directory of you boot
>> harddrive - may need to change the folder options in explorer to
>> untick the hide system files option to see it). You have to change
>> this from a read only archive file in the properties section first
>> but then edit it and change the noexecute from optin to AlwaysOff
>> (make sure it's one word).
>>
>> Card has worked like a dream since. This also fixed the really poor
>> performance my friend was getting with some games on his 6800GT PCIe
>> powered 3.6G pIV and problems another friend had with a XP2500+ and a
>> 4600 card after he had installed new drivers.
>
> Does anyone know the downside of changing this entry? It must be there for
> a reason.
>
> --
> dvus

(the following is copied from the Windoze XP SP2 Help and Support Center)
"Data Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other
security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from
memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type
of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use
by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your
e-mail contacts.

Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful
programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your
programs to determine if they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP
software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory
locations as "non-executable". If a program tries to run code-malicious or
not-from a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you.

DEP can take advantage of software and hardware support. To use DEP, your
computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later,
or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later. DEP software alone helps
protect against certain types of malicious code attacks but to take full
advantage of the protection that DEP can offer, your processor must support
"execution protection". This is a hardware-based technology designed to mark
memory locations as non-executable. If your processor does not support
hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers
execution protection features."

BTW- You can select programs that do or do not use it- like let your games
run without it, I suppose?

!bungle
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 3:40:27 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 04:26:25 GMT, "!bungle" <stratosrally@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>BTW- You can select programs that do or do not use it- like let your games
>run without it, I suppose?

It's not clear to me that opting-out for bfv.exe will disable DEP code
protection by the kernel for code residing in a video driver. "By
default, software-enforced DEP helps protect only limited system
binaries" so, in order to be effective, the software-based protection of
the kernel should not rely on the DEP option state of the process that
originated the system call. Otherwise, no meaningful protection would be
in effect for malware originating from user applications since, by
default, no application code is flagged with the DEP bit.

I'm not even sure that software-enforced DEP, that "block malicious
code that takes advantage of exception-handling mechanisms in Windows"
would interfere in a meaningful way with video driver code. The
"detailed description" that Microsoft provides doesn't go into much
detail about what taking "advantage of exception-handling mechanisms"
really means. It sounds like it only prevents hijacking of an exception
vector or prevents over-writing the code that is the normal target of a
system exception handler. Anybody have the real details?

On the other hand, I did set "noexecute=alwaysoff" and, since then, I've
been running almost without incident; a couple of crashes back to the
desktop but no instances of the dreaded infinite loop lockup. On the
other, other hand, I have also pulled the heatsinks from the GPU and
bridge, cleaned them and replaced them with my own favorite heat sink
compound, as well as doing a complete reinstallation of BFV from
scratch.

I don't think that setting the noexecute option is the single silver
bullet for solving the 6600GT/AGP problem that I and others have been
experiencing. The behavior of particular chipsets, the robustness (or
lack thereof) of particular motherboard AGP drivers, power supply
adequacy, PCI latency, GPU and bridge heat dissipation, and other things
all contribute to video performance and stability. Still, it's easy to
do, probably doesn't meaningfully degrade system security (as long as
one is otherwise careful), and it might just help.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
January 24, 2005 1:25:12 PM

Even though I don't have a 6600GT (yet), I tried the "AlwaysOff" setting
with my 9600XT. I benched HL2 and saw no difference. Maybe it only applies
to Nvidia display drivers. I turned dep back on.

DaveL

"Tigrian" <Tigrian.1j977m@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> Hey, just a thought guys are any of you running XP service pack 2?
>
> I was and had all the above problems with my BFG6600GT OC card. (Also
> running a 3100+ Sempron overclocked to 245mhz without even a voltage
> mod at 51 degrees under load- how cool is that chip - thanks AMD)
>
> Was pulling my hair out until I found a way of disabling the no execute
> part of SP2 designed to protect the processor. NVIDIA drivers from high
> 60's onwards seem to have a problem with this causing lock ups and STOP
> As all over the place.
>
> Just edit the boot.ini file (in the root directory of you boot
> harddrive - may need to change the folder options in explorer to untick
> the hide system files option to see it). You have to change this from a
> read only archive file in the properties section first but then edit it
> and change the noexecute from optin to AlwaysOff (make sure it's one
> word).
>
> Card has worked like a dream since. This also fixed the really poor
> performance my friend was getting with some games on his 6800GT PCIe
> powered 3.6G pIV and problems another friend had with a XP2500+ and a
> 4600 card after he had installed new drivers.
>

> --
> Tigrian
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 3:57:58 AM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:25:12 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Even though I don't have a 6600GT (yet), I tried the "AlwaysOff" setting
>with my 9600XT. I benched HL2 and saw no difference. Maybe it only applies
>to Nvidia display drivers. I turned dep back on.

I'm not sure that a performance gain should be expected. It does appear,
after a few days of use here, that turning off the software DEP has
enabled me to use the 6600GT/AGP without periodic lockups.

Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Objects in mirror are
closer than they appear. For external use only.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Anonymous

Rich Webb wrote:

> I don't think that setting the noexecute option is the single silver
> bullet for solving the 6600GT/AGP problem that I and others have been
> experiencing. The behavior of particular chipsets, the robustness (or
> lack thereof) of particular motherboard AGP drivers, power supply
> adequacy, PCI latency, GPU and bridge heat dissipation, and other things
> all contribute to video performance and stability. Still, it's easy to
> do, probably doesn't meaningfully degrade system security (as long as
> one is otherwise careful), and it might just help.

The users that are happing problems, what CPU are they using..

I myself have a A64/3000 on a Nforce 3 MB & a 6600GT they work great

MB & V/Card are Gigabyte
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:33:55 PM

Rich Webb wrote:

> I don't think that setting the noexecute option is the single silver
> bullet for solving the 6600GT/AGP problem that I and others have been
> experiencing. The behavior of particular chipsets, the robustness (or
> lack thereof) of particular motherboard AGP drivers, power supply
> adequacy, PCI latency, GPU and bridge heat dissipation, and other things
> all contribute to video performance and stability. Still, it's easy to
> do, probably doesn't meaningfully degrade system security (as long as
> one is otherwise careful), and it might just help.

The users that are happing problems, what CPU are they using..

I myself have a A64/3000 on a Nforce 3 MB & a 6600GT they work great

MB & V/Card are Gigabyte
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:35:11 PM

!