AGP Failure?

Hi,

Soltek SL-75FRV
Athlon XP2000
GeForce Ti-4200
2xHDD
1xDVD+/-RW

My box has been switched on permanently for nearly four months. I've been
away on holiday for a week and decided to power off.

On my return I turned the box on but there was no signal to the monitor. The
disks were spinning but I couldn't see anything. I wiggled a few cables etc
before deciding to fit an old Riva TNT2 AGP card. This worked fine.

Ahah! The 4200 must be knackered - great excuse to buy a 6600GT. No joy -
the GT at least allowed me a glimpse of the Soltek BIOS splash screen then
it froze.

I tried a GeForce 5200 with the same result. In fact the 4200, 5200 and 6600
all exhibited the same symptoms: at some point between power up and logon
the screen would either freeze, be garbled or not send a signal to the
monitor.

At this point I replaced the power supply (350W).

Still no joy - only the Riva TNT2 card works which is as solid as rock.

I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Martin
14 answers Last reply
More about failure

    Martin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Soltek SL-75FRV
    > Athlon XP2000
    > GeForce Ti-4200
    > 2xHDD
    > 1xDVD+/-RW
    >
    > My box has been switched on permanently for nearly four months. I've been
    > away on holiday for a week and decided to power off.
    >
    > On my return I turned the box on but there was no signal to the monitor. The
    > disks were spinning but I couldn't see anything. I wiggled a few cables etc
    > before deciding to fit an old Riva TNT2 AGP card. This worked fine.
    >
    > Ahah! The 4200 must be knackered - great excuse to buy a 6600GT. No joy -
    > the GT at least allowed me a glimpse of the Soltek BIOS splash screen then
    > it froze.
    >
    > I tried a GeForce 5200 with the same result. In fact the 4200, 5200 and 6600
    > all exhibited the same symptoms: at some point between power up and logon
    > the screen would either freeze, be garbled or not send a signal to the
    > monitor.
    >
    > At this point I replaced the power supply (350W).
    >
    > Still no joy - only the Riva TNT2 card works which is as solid as rock.
    >
    > I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Martin

    Try popping the CMOS battery for about 2 days. That'll drain the system
    completely. Listen for any beepcodes on startup. It could be RAM, the
    microcode on your CPU (pre-boot code), or a blown board component (caps,
    mosfets, chipset component).

    Tried this but no joy. Box Ok with TNT2 card but 4200, 5200, 6600 all fail.

    I'd thought about the RAM but discounted it as the box runs fine with the
    TNT2 card.

    Is it a motherboard swap next, then?

    "Martin" <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote in message
    > Tried this but no joy. Box Ok with TNT2 card but 4200, 5200, 6600 all
    > fail.
    > I'd thought about the RAM but discounted it as the box runs fine with
    > the TNT2 card.
    >
    > Is it a motherboard swap next, then?

    The TnT2 card is running at AGP 1X2X-3.3v
    The other cards run at either 1.5v or .9v, or 2X4X8X
    The 4200 should run at 3.3v

    Can you get a picture with the 4200 in long enough to get into BIOS?
    Since that's the card you had in the first place, it should be working.
    Might be the power regulator for the AGP bus is going south.

    I can get to the BIOS if I use the TNT2 card - all the others now barf at
    the BIOS splash screen.

    Incidentally, I tried to burn a DVD this weekend using NERO. All attempts
    have failed - the burn succeeds but during the verify the box restarts.

    I've used three different media - all with the same result.

    Could it be my 512Mb RAM stick that's going bye bye?

    > "Martin" <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote in message
    >> Tried this but no joy. Box Ok with TNT2 card but 4200, 5200, 6600 all
    >> fail.
    >> I'd thought about the RAM but discounted it as the box runs fine with
    >> the TNT2 card.
    >>
    >> Is it a motherboard swap next, then?
    >
    > The TnT2 card is running at AGP 1X2X-3.3v
    > The other cards run at either 1.5v or .9v, or 2X4X8X
    > The 4200 should run at 3.3v
    >
    > Can you get a picture with the 4200 in long enough to get into BIOS? Since
    > that's the card you had in the first place, it should be working. Might be
    > the power regulator for the AGP bus is going south.

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:12:45 -0000, "Martin"
    <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote:

    >I can get to the BIOS if I use the TNT2 card - all the others now barf at
    >the BIOS splash screen.
    >
    >Incidentally, I tried to burn a DVD this weekend using NERO. All attempts
    >have failed - the burn succeeds but during the verify the box restarts.
    >
    >I've used three different media - all with the same result.
    >
    >Could it be my 512Mb RAM stick that's going bye bye?

    Maybe. Download memtest86 or memtest86+ and run it overnight.

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    http://www.memtest.org/

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Useful link. Thanks.

    When I run memtest I get what looks like a register dump and both floppy and
    hard drive lights stay on permanently. I certainly don't get anything like
    the screenshots on the memtest website.

    I'll try it again this evening on my other working box but this makes me
    suspect the memory stick further.

    "Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:12:45 -0000, "Martin"
    > <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote:
    >
    >>I can get to the BIOS if I use the TNT2 card - all the others now barf at
    >>the BIOS splash screen.
    >>
    >>Incidentally, I tried to burn a DVD this weekend using NERO. All attempts
    >>have failed - the burn succeeds but during the verify the box restarts.
    >>
    >>I've used three different media - all with the same result.
    >>
    >>Could it be my 512Mb RAM stick that's going bye bye?
    >
    > Maybe. Download memtest86 or memtest86+ and run it overnight.
    >
    > http://www.memtest86.com/
    >
    > http://www.memtest.org/
    >
    > --
    > Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:55:55 -0000, "Martin"
    <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote:

    >Useful link. Thanks.
    >
    >When I run memtest I get what looks like a register dump and both floppy and
    >hard drive lights stay on permanently. I certainly don't get anything like
    >the screenshots on the memtest website.

    I've occasionally seen what looks like a couple of register addresses on
    the default vid screen (black background, white characters) just before
    the main app starts up (blue background, white characters). I think at
    that stage it's probing the system to see what it has to work with.

    If your BIOS supports it, run your CPU & memory at the lowest available
    clock speeds and most conservative memory clocking and try running
    memtest again (and perhaps also try creating the runtime floppy on a
    different system).

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    I finally got memtest to run. It's now run for 18 hours without a single
    error which rules out the memory stick.

    The box is now suffering from hard disk problems - during boot up the drive
    light comes on for 30 secs or so before beginning the boot sequence and
    occasionally during normal operation (e.g opening IE) the machine freezes
    for 30 secs or so before running the program.

    This is driving me nuts - any other suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated.

    "Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:12:45 -0000, "Martin"
    > <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote:
    >
    >>I can get to the BIOS if I use the TNT2 card - all the others now barf at
    >>the BIOS splash screen.
    >>
    >>Incidentally, I tried to burn a DVD this weekend using NERO. All attempts
    >>have failed - the burn succeeds but during the verify the box restarts.
    >>
    >>I've used three different media - all with the same result.
    >>
    >>Could it be my 512Mb RAM stick that's going bye bye?
    >
    > Maybe. Download memtest86 or memtest86+ and run it overnight.
    >
    > http://www.memtest86.com/
    >
    > http://www.memtest.org/
    >
    > --
    > Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    You did not say what you did to get memtest running ok. Try another power
    supply. Maybe the hard disk is going out. What motherboard chipset driver
    version are you running?

    DaveL

    >I finally got memtest to run. It's now run for 18 hours without a single
    >error which rules out the memory stick.
    >
    > The box is now suffering from hard disk problems - during boot up the
    > drive light comes on for 30 secs or so before beginning the boot sequence
    > and occasionally during normal operation (e.g opening IE) the machine
    > freezes for 30 secs or so before running the program.
    >
    > This is driving me nuts - any other suggestions would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >

    > "Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:12:45 -0000, "Martin"
    >> <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I can get to the BIOS if I use the TNT2 card - all the others now barf at
    >>>the BIOS splash screen.
    >>>
    >>>Incidentally, I tried to burn a DVD this weekend using NERO. All attempts
    >>>have failed - the burn succeeds but during the verify the box restarts.
    >>>
    >>>I've used three different media - all with the same result.
    >>>
    >>>Could it be my 512Mb RAM stick that's going bye bye?
    >>
    >> Maybe. Download memtest86 or memtest86+ and run it overnight.
    >>
    >> http://www.memtest86.com/
    >>
    >> http://www.memtest.org/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    > You did not say what you did to get memtest running ok

    I originally downloaded the floppy image which didn't work when I booted
    from the floppy. I then downloaded the ISO image, burned it to CD and booted
    from the CD which did work.

    > Try another power supply

    Already done that.

    > What motherboard chipset driver version are you running

    Good question. How do you determine this? I *do* know its the same driver
    version running before Christmas when my box worked perfectly.

    > Maybe the hard disk is going out

    Now that I am more confident that the memory is not at fault I am even more
    certain that the mainboard is at fault: the AGP port doesn't work correctly,
    the HDD is behaving differently, I can't successfully burn a DVD and the box
    resets itself from time to time.

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > You did not say what you did to get memtest running ok. Try another power
    > supply. Maybe the hard disk is going out. What motherboard chipset
    > driver version are you running?
    >
    > DaveL
    >

    > "Martin" <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote in message
    >>I finally got memtest to run. It's now run for 18 hours without a single
    >>error which rules out the memory stick.
    >>
    >> The box is now suffering from hard disk problems - during boot up the
    >> drive light comes on for 30 secs or so before beginning the boot sequence
    >> and occasionally during normal operation (e.g opening IE) the machine
    >> freezes for 30 secs or so before running the program.
    >>
    >> This is driving me nuts - any other suggestions would be greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>

    >> "Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message

    >>> Maybe. Download memtest86 or memtest86+ and run it overnight.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.memtest86.com/
    >>>
    >>> http://www.memtest.org/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    All of these problem could be due to a bad hard drive. Download the hard
    drive manufacturer's utility disk and run diagnostics on it. Oh, and for
    sure, you better back up any data that you can't live without. I have all
    my pictures backed up on cdrom.

    DaveL

    >> You did not say what you did to get memtest running ok
    >
    > I originally downloaded the floppy image which didn't work when I booted
    > from the floppy. I then downloaded the ISO image, burned it to CD and
    > booted from the CD which did work.
    >
    >> Try another power supply
    >
    > Already done that.
    >
    >> What motherboard chipset driver version are you running
    >
    > Good question. How do you determine this? I *do* know its the same driver
    > version running before Christmas when my box worked perfectly.
    >
    >> Maybe the hard disk is going out
    >
    > Now that I am more confident that the memory is not at fault I am even
    > more certain that the mainboard is at fault: the AGP port doesn't work
    > correctly, the HDD is behaving differently, I can't successfully burn a
    > DVD and the box resets itself from time to time.
    >

    > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> You did not say what you did to get memtest running ok. Try another
    >> power supply. Maybe the hard disk is going out. What motherboard
    >> chipset driver version are you running?
    >>
    >> DaveL
    >>

    >> "Martin" <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote in message
    >>>I finally got memtest to run. It's now run for 18 hours without a single
    >>>error which rules out the memory stick.
    >>>
    >>> The box is now suffering from hard disk problems - during boot up the
    >>> drive light comes on for 30 secs or so before beginning the boot
    >>> sequence and occasionally during normal operation (e.g opening IE) the
    >>> machine freezes for 30 secs or so before running the program.
    >>>
    >>> This is driving me nuts - any other suggestions would be greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>

    >>> "Rich Webb" <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > All of these problem could be due to a bad hard drive

    I think you're right. But why would a faulty hard disk could cause AGP
    problems?

    Anyway, all backups done :)

    > All of these problem could be due to a bad hard drive. Download the hard
    > drive manufacturer's utility disk and run diagnostics on it. Oh, and for
    > sure, you better back up any data that you can't live without. I have all
    > my pictures backed up on cdrom.
    >
    > DaveL
    >

    > "Martin" <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote in message
    >>> You did not say what you did to get memtest running ok
    >>
    >> I originally downloaded the floppy image which didn't work when I booted
    >> from the floppy. I then downloaded the ISO image, burned it to CD and
    >> booted from the CD which did work.
    >>
    >>> Try another power supply
    >>
    >> Already done that.
    >>
    >>> What motherboard chipset driver version are you running
    >>
    >> Good question. How do you determine this? I *do* know its the same driver
    >> version running before Christmas when my box worked perfectly.
    >>
    >>> Maybe the hard disk is going out
    >>
    >> Now that I am more confident that the memory is not at fault I am even
    >> more certain that the mainboard is at fault: the AGP port doesn't work
    >> correctly, the HDD is behaving differently, I can't successfully burn a
    >> DVD and the box resets itself from time to time.
    >>

    >> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> You did not say what you did to get memtest running ok. Try another
    >>> power supply. Maybe the hard disk is going out. What motherboard
    >>> chipset driver version are you running?
    >>>
    >>> DaveL
    >>>

    >>> "Martin" <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Well, try going into the bios with the ti4200 installed and the hard drive
    disconnected. Also, closely inspect the motherboard for bulging or leaking
    caps. You could be dealing wiht more than one problem.

    DaveL

    >> All of these problem could be due to a bad hard drive
    >
    > I think you're right. But why would a faulty hard disk could cause AGP
    > problems?
    >
    > Anyway, all backups done :)
    >
    > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> All of these problem could be due to a bad hard drive. Download the hard
    >> drive manufacturer's utility disk and run diagnostics on it. Oh, and for
    >> sure, you better back up any data that you can't live without. I have
    >> all my pictures backed up on cdrom.
    >>
    >> DaveL
    >>

    >> "Martin" <martin@welch.uk.eclipse.co> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I originally downloaded the floppy image which didn't work when I booted
    >>> from the floppy. I then downloaded the ISO image, burned it to CD and
    >>> booted from the CD which did work.

    >>> Already done that.

    >>> Good question. How do you determine this? I *do* know its the same
    >>> driver version running before Christmas when my box worked perfectly.

    >>> Now that I am more confident that the memory is not at fault I am even
    >>> more certain that the mainboard is at fault: the AGP port doesn't work
    >>> correctly, the HDD is behaving differently, I can't successfully burn a
    >>> DVD and the box resets itself from time to time.
    >>>

    >>> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I've just replaced the mainboard and everything is back to normal.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Martin

    > Hi,
    >
    > Soltek SL-75FRV
    > Athlon XP2000
    > GeForce Ti-4200
    > 2xHDD
    > 1xDVD+/-RW
    >
    > My box has been switched on permanently for nearly four months. I've been
    > away on holiday for a week and decided to power off.
    >
    > On my return I turned the box on but there was no signal to the monitor.
    > The
    > disks were spinning but I couldn't see anything. I wiggled a few cables
    > etc
    > before deciding to fit an old Riva TNT2 AGP card. This worked fine.
    >
    > Ahah! The 4200 must be knackered - great excuse to buy a 6600GT. No joy -
    > the GT at least allowed me a glimpse of the Soltek BIOS splash screen then
    > it froze.
    >
    > I tried a GeForce 5200 with the same result. In fact the 4200, 5200 and
    > 6600
    > all exhibited the same symptoms: at some point between power up and logon
    > the screen would either freeze, be garbled or not send a signal to the
    > monitor.
    >
    > At this point I replaced the power supply (350W).
    >
    > Still no joy - only the Riva TNT2 card works which is as solid as rock.
    >
    > I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Martin

Nvidia Graphics