New hard drive

I have a GP6-400 with a Powerleap processor running Win 98 First Edition.
The hard drive is the original Western Digital 8.4-GB Ultra ATA/66. I'd
like to get another hard drive and transfer everything over to it. A small
drive (20 or 40 GB) would suit me fine.

I was thinking of an internal one, but will consider external also. Am I
limited by my configuration as to what type or size of drive I can get?
What do I need to look for?

Thanks, Dee
9 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    Dee wrote:
    > I have a GP6-400 with a Powerleap processor running Win 98 First Edition.
    > The hard drive is the original Western Digital 8.4-GB Ultra ATA/66. I'd
    > like to get another hard drive and transfer everything over to it. A small
    > drive (20 or 40 GB) would suit me fine.
    >
    > I was thinking of an internal one, but will consider external also. Am I
    > limited by my configuration as to what type or size of drive I can get?
    > What do I need to look for?
    >
    > Thanks, Dee

    That PC will take up to 120 GB hard drives. We have one at work
    (running WinXP) and it has a 120 GB in it working just fine.

    If you go with a large HD with Win98, this site could be useful.

    http://www.hexff.com/w98_hd.php

    I'm starting to forget this stuff. For sure, the GP6-400 will handle up to
    32GB. Whether it handles up to 132GB is what I do not recall.

    The USB support on this box is 1.1, so an external USB drive would run slower
    and it would need to have its own external power source. Or you could install a
    USB 2.0 card and drivers to run at greater speeds with the USB 2.0 bus supplying
    power to the drive.

    Finally, Windows 98FE imposes a limit on drive partition sizes. Again, I
    forget the exact number, but maybe 32GB?? ... Ben Myers

    On 30 Apr 2005 09:51:51 -0400, Dee <d@d.d> wrote:

    >I have a GP6-400 with a Powerleap processor running Win 98 First Edition.
    >The hard drive is the original Western Digital 8.4-GB Ultra ATA/66. I'd
    >like to get another hard drive and transfer everything over to it. A small
    >drive (20 or 40 GB) would suit me fine.
    >
    >I was thinking of an internal one, but will consider external also. Am I
    >limited by my configuration as to what type or size of drive I can get?
    >What do I need to look for?
    >
    >Thanks, Dee

    Anything 120G or smaller from any manufacturer other than Maxtor will do
    fine.

    You do not want an external drive unless you have installed a USB 2.0
    controller - the onboard USB 1.1 and therefore too slow to use with a
    hard drive.

    Dee wrote:
    > I have a GP6-400 with a Powerleap processor running Win 98 First Edition.
    > The hard drive is the original Western Digital 8.4-GB Ultra ATA/66. I'd
    > like to get another hard drive and transfer everything over to it. A small
    > drive (20 or 40 GB) would suit me fine.
    >
    > I was thinking of an internal one, but will consider external also. Am I
    > limited by my configuration as to what type or size of drive I can get?
    > What do I need to look for?
    >
    > Thanks, Dee

    Ed, why do you have a problem with Maxtor? I have 2 Maxtor drives in my
    computer and they are the quietest and so far most reliable drives I've ever
    had.
    Plus I work for a company that supplies Maxtor, Seagate, WD and others with
    suspension assemblies. Just interested in your opinion.

    Jim

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Anything 120G or smaller from any manufacturer other than Maxtor will do
    > fine.
    >
    > You do not want an external drive unless you have installed a USB 2.0
    > controller - the onboard USB 1.1 and therefore too slow to use with a hard
    > drive.
    >

    > Dee wrote:
    >> I have a GP6-400 with a Powerleap processor running Win 98 First Edition.
    >> The hard drive is the original Western Digital 8.4-GB Ultra ATA/66. I'd
    >> like to get another hard drive and transfer everything over to it. A
    >> small drive (20 or 40 GB) would suit me fine. I was thinking of an
    >> internal one, but will consider external also. Am I limited by my
    >> configuration as to what type or size of drive I can get? What do I need
    >> to look for? Thanks, Dee

    Poor relaibility? ... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:23:19 -0500, "Jim" <donr503@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Ed, why do you have a problem with Maxtor? I have 2 Maxtor drives in my
    >computer and they are the quietest and so far most reliable drives I've ever
    >had.
    >Plus I work for a company that supplies Maxtor, Seagate, WD and others with
    >suspension assemblies. Just interested in your opinion.
    >
    >Jim
    >

    >"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> Anything 120G or smaller from any manufacturer other than Maxtor will do
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> You do not want an external drive unless you have installed a USB 2.0
    >> controller - the onboard USB 1.1 and therefore too slow to use with a hard
    >> drive.
    >>

    >> Dee wrote:
    >>> I have a GP6-400 with a Powerleap processor running Win 98 First Edition.
    >>> The hard drive is the original Western Digital 8.4-GB Ultra ATA/66. I'd
    >>> like to get another hard drive and transfer everything over to it. A
    >>> small drive (20 or 40 GB) would suit me fine. I was thinking of an
    >>> internal one, but will consider external also. Am I limited by my
    >>> configuration as to what type or size of drive I can get? What do I need
    >>> to look for? Thanks, Dee

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Maxtor has been having major reliability issues of late. Dell actually
    dropped the DiamondMax Plus 8 and 9 models because they were failing in
    large numbers. The 160 and 250 G SATA and EIDE drives are also
    horrendous in reliability - I've seen dozens of them fail now in newer
    Dell systems.

    The other issue is whether Maxtor will be around much longer. They were
    forced to write off millions in funds committed to producing 2.5" drives
    - that is a very, very bad sign that they were forced to drop plans to
    enter what it one of the few major growth/profit markets in the industry.

    This has happened to them before - Hyundai stepped in as a white knight
    and salvaged them several years ago - but it doesn't look like that's
    going to happen this time, and with Hitachi and Samsung having very deep
    pockets, and Seagate and Western Digital executing their strategies so
    well - it may just be Maxtor gets squeezed out this time.

    Some of the newer Maxtor drives are turning out as bad as the Deskstars
    that forced the last player to drop out of the market - IBM.

    Jim wrote:
    > Ed, why do you have a problem with Maxtor? I have 2 Maxtor drives in my
    > computer and they are the quietest and so far most reliable drives I've ever
    > had.
    > Plus I work for a company that supplies Maxtor, Seagate, WD and others with
    > suspension assemblies. Just interested in your opinion.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Thanks for all the replies, guys!

    Another question - I'm looking at the WD 40GB (WD400BBRTL) for $80 or maybe
    the WD 80GB for $90. Would either of these drives work in a new computer
    also?

    Thanks again, Dee
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Dee,
    Check http://www.dealcatcher.com/ and
    http://tomshardware.bizrate.com/buy/browse__cat_id--4.html

    Office Max has a WD 160GB for $69.99 after rebate.
    Best Buy has a Segate 120GB for $49.99 after rebate.

    I picked up a WD 120GB last week from CompUSA for $40.00 for my old
    Gateway and a Promise ultra133TX2 PCI to ATA Controller card from ebay
    for $18.00. Note: the WD only had a 1 year warranty, while Segates have
    a 5 year warranty.

    The newer computers are using Serial-ATA HDDs, Im not sure if
    ultra/133/100/66 ATA HDD's are backwards compatable in newer computers.
    You could always go with a new Serial ATA HDD and a Promise Serial ATA
    controler card for your older Gateway....

    Brad

    Dee wrote:
    > Thanks for all the replies, guys!
    >
    > Another question - I'm looking at the WD 40GB (WD400BBRTL) for $80 or maybe
    > the WD 80GB for $90. Would either of these drives work in a new computer
    > also?
    >
    > Thanks again, Dee
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    The 40GB drive is way overpriced. Either would be fine in a newer computer,
    too... Ben Myers

    On 2 May 2005 09:04:40 -0400, Dee <d@d.d> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the replies, guys!
    >
    >Another question - I'm looking at the WD 40GB (WD400BBRTL) for $80 or maybe
    >the WD 80GB for $90. Would either of these drives work in a new computer
    >also?
    >
    >Thanks again, Dee

Gateway Western Digital Hard Drives Computers Product