Problems installing windows 7 - driver not found

malamutemo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hello,
Can someone help me.
I have a computer that came with windows 7 home pre-installed. After the 1st month's trial period we decided to install windows 7 enterprise.

Computer configuration is as follows:
Harddisk 1 - 1.5TB SATAII 32 MB cache NCQ 7200rpm
Hard disk 2 - 1.5TB SAT II 32 MB cache NCQ 7200rpm, RAID 0

Processor - Intel core i7 870 B 4X 2.93 Ghy 8MB cache
Motherboard - ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe P55 crosfire/SLI USB 3.0
Memory - 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 PC3-10600 Kingston 64 bit OS
Overclocked - 10%
Grafic card - NVidia GeForce GTX 465 1GB DirektX 11 2XDVI 1xHDMI

First problem: only one disk is being shown....??? How to I make sure that both hard disks appear?

Second problem is that the windows cannot be installed since the right driver cannot be found.
Using the windows software we first disinstalled the initial windows 7 home editions and followed the next steps to install the new windows 7 enterprise version.
After finishing the language set up a new box comes up to "select the driver to be installed".
Whatever I do, the programme cannot find right driver.... I got the necessary driver from the company that configured the computer, but the systems does not recognise it.

I have tried to check the BIOS set up, and it appears to be alright...., though I am not really an expert...

As far as I have gathered, the connectors are set to standard IDE mode by default.

- Which driver should I use in this case?
Is there some set up change to consider before installing windows 7?

Help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

malamutemo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi the problem with the second disk not being shown has been solved. We opened up the comp and check the connections. Now two disks are being shown correctly:
However, we still can't get past the screen requesting the driver.
We tried getting back from RAID 0 to non RAID...
But still it did not work...

And then we set up the RAID all over again according to the ASUS user guide...
We are now checking whether it works.

Your description of your problem is not very clear (to me) what driver are you trying to find? Are you trying to install a RAID setup? I will assume you are trying to install a standard SATA driver. The easiest way to set up your hard disk is in the BIOS change the AHCI SATA mode to IDE mode and then you will not require any drivers. If you want to set the SATA in AHCI mode or RAID then you will need the drivers supplied with the motherboard. I know that this can be confusing with several drivers being provided with different modes of operation.

malamutemo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi the connectors are set to standard IDe mode.
Windows 7 simply does not find the drivers...
This is how we are getting around the problem...

We disconnected the SATA drives....
In BIOS we changed the set up from raid to IDE
We set the boot configuration to start first DVD rome then the old drive
And used another drive - IDE Seagate 120 GB drive
The partition on this drive was damaged and windows 7 still could not install because the correct system partition could not be found.
So we first installed windows XP and used it to partition the drive
Then we installed windows XP.
Once installed we then inserted the windows 7 cd and let the system reboot from the CD/DVD roö drive so as to install windows 7.
This worked. We could install windows 7 on the seagate drive.

Now we would like to reconnect the RAID drives and set them up as RAID
Windows 7 should remain on the seagate drive
Personal files should be in the raid 0 drives
We are not sure how to proceed here, but after all the fumbling around to get windows 7 installed, this should not be a problem...

Windows 7 32 bit does not detect hard drive which are more then 1.5 TB. Its better you install windows 7 64 bit. This should resolve you problem.

This is not true. Windows 7 does not have this limitation. You can have any size drive and Windows 7 will recognize it. The only limitation is the 2Gig one and that is a motherboard limitation and only matters if you want the drive to be bootable. You should use Windows 7 64 bit if you have more than 3Gig of memory or plan to have more than 3 Gig of memory in the future.