Sign in with
Your question

Black Screen after installing new Win7 Theme

Last response: in Windows 7
November 26, 2010 2:03:12 PM

Hi, I recently Installed a Windows 7 Theme called "Skull"(http://thedarkenedpoet.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Sku...) .

I Applied it, but it also came with a new Start Button for windows. I replaced the old explorer file with the new one (located in C:\windows\) and it said that I had to restart the computer for it to work. I restarted and now after going through the "Windows Is Loading" and after login in to my user nothing appears. It says "Login In" but after that every thing goes black instead of going to the desktop.

I pressed Alt+CTRL+Del and opened Task Manager to see if i could open any processes. I scanned through the 7 or so processes but there was no common one. Not even "Explorer" was there!
So.. How do I open the Explorer process? Since windows kinda isn't running.

ALSO in case you were wondering, I am writing this on a different pc.
a b $ Windows 7
November 26, 2010 9:08:58 PM

in the task manager under applications tab click on New Task and type explorer.exe
November 27, 2010 5:47:31 PM

pivotax said:
Hi, I recently Installed a Windows 7 Theme called "Skull"(http://thedarkenedpoet.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Sku...) .

I Applied it, but it also came with a new Start Button for windows. I replaced the old explorer file with the new one (located in C:\windows\) and it said that I had to restart the computer for it to work. I restarted and now after going through the "Windows Is Loading" and after login in to my user nothing appears. It says "Login In" but after that every thing goes black instead of going to the desktop.

I pressed Alt+CTRL+Del and opened Task Manager to see if i could open any processes. I scanned through the 7 or so processes but there was no common one. Not even "Explorer" was there!
So.. How do I open the Explorer process? Since windows kinda isn't running.

ALSO in case you were wondering, I am writing this on a different pc.

I would attempt to replace the bogus version of explorer.exe with the original. And don't change it again for any reason. The "Skull" team is completely unqualified to modify this file.
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2010 9:47:19 PM

quick do a system restore to the day before this happened..!
!