Power Requirements for FX 5700 Ultra and 5900 XT

I plan on purchasing one of these cards and need to know if my PC power
supply is big enough. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 2Gighz P4. I have two
hard drives hooked up and a CD burner and regular drive also. This PC has
a 250 Watt power supply. Can anyone tell me if I will be OK?

Also I am going to buy a used card off of Ebay. I have never had a video
card go bad on me before, but I have never had one that required fan
cooling like the higher powered cards. Do these cards last as long as
lower performance cards? Will a used card last a couple years? I plan on
getting a BFG, EVGA, or PNY card.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about power requirements 5700 ultra 5900

    It probably won't be enough.
    Though, you can try :)

    "Greg Kirk" <gkirk18@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I plan on purchasing one of these cards and need to know if my PC power
    > supply is big enough. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 2Gighz P4. I have two
    > hard drives hooked up and a CD burner and regular drive also. This PC has
    > a 250 Watt power supply. Can anyone tell me if I will be OK?
    >
    > Also I am going to buy a used card off of Ebay. I have never had a video
    > card go bad on me before, but I have never had one that required fan
    > cooling like the higher powered cards. Do these cards last as long as
    > lower performance cards? Will a used card last a couple years? I plan on
    > getting a BFG, EVGA, or PNY card.
    >
    > Thanks

    Greg Kirk:

    > I plan on purchasing one of these cards and need to know if my PC
    > power supply is big enough. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 2Gighz P4.
    > I have two hard drives hooked up and a CD burner and regular drive
    > also. This PC has a 250 Watt power supply. Can anyone tell me if I
    > will be OK?

    Yes. Dell rates their power supplies differently than other vendors.
    Dell 250W power supplies are equivalent to 341-365W retail rated power
    supply.

    Take a look at this site:
    http://www.spongebobsupgradesite.com/index.html

    Also, I have a Dell 250W PS running a 2.53Ghz P4, 2 DVD drives, 2 hard
    drives and a 5900XT with no problems whatsoever. You can also look on
    the Dell forums where there are dozens of posts confirming that you will
    be able to run the XT.

    > Also I am going to buy a used card off of Ebay. I have never had a
    > video card go bad on me before, but I have never had one that
    > required fan cooling like the higher powered cards. Do these cards
    > last as long as lower performance cards? Will a used card last a
    > couple years? I plan on getting a BFG, EVGA, or PNY card.

    I bought a used EVGA 5900XT from a guy on HardOCP's 'For Sale/Trade'
    forum and got a better deal (at that time) than I could have gotten on
    ebay. I paid $145 for mine and it came with several games and various
    software.

    Lastly, I recommend the 5900XT over the 5700Ultra.
    --
    Mac Cool

Nvidia Power Graphics