Power Requirements for FX 5700 Ultra and 5900 XT

I plan on purchasing one of these cards and need to know if my PC power
supply is big enough. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 2Gighz P4. I have two
hard drives hooked up and a CD burner and regular drive also. This PC has
a 250 Watt power supply. Can anyone tell me if I will be OK?

Also I am going to buy a used card off of Ebay. I have never had a video
card go bad on me before, but I have never had one that required fan
cooling like the higher powered cards. Do these cards last as long as
lower performance cards? Will a used card last a couple years? I plan on
getting a BFG, EVGA, or PNY card.

Thanks

It probably won't be enough.
Though, you can try :)

"Greg Kirk" <gkirk18@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I plan on purchasing one of these cards and need to know if my PC power
> supply is big enough. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 2Gighz P4. I have two
> hard drives hooked up and a CD burner and regular drive also. This PC has
> a 250 Watt power supply. Can anyone tell me if I will be OK?
>
> Also I am going to buy a used card off of Ebay. I have never had a video
> card go bad on me before, but I have never had one that required fan
> cooling like the higher powered cards. Do these cards last as long as
> lower performance cards? Will a used card last a couple years? I plan on
> getting a BFG, EVGA, or PNY card.
>
> Thanks

Greg Kirk:

> I plan on purchasing one of these cards and need to know if my PC
> power supply is big enough. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 2Gighz P4.
> I have two hard drives hooked up and a CD burner and regular drive
> also. This PC has a 250 Watt power supply. Can anyone tell me if I
> will be OK?

Yes. Dell rates their power supplies differently than other vendors.
Dell 250W power supplies are equivalent to 341-365W retail rated power
supply.

Take a look at this site:
http://www.spongebobsupgradesite.com/index.html

Also, I have a Dell 250W PS running a 2.53Ghz P4, 2 DVD drives, 2 hard
drives and a 5900XT with no problems whatsoever. You can also look on
the Dell forums where there are dozens of posts confirming that you will
be able to run the XT.

> Also I am going to buy a used card off of Ebay. I have never had a
> video card go bad on me before, but I have never had one that
> required fan cooling like the higher powered cards. Do these cards
> last as long as lower performance cards? Will a used card last a
> couple years? I plan on getting a BFG, EVGA, or PNY card.

I bought a used EVGA 5900XT from a guy on HardOCP's 'For Sale/Trade'
forum and got a better deal (at that time) than I could have gotten on
ebay. I paid $145 for mine and it came with several games and various
software.

Lastly, I recommend the 5900XT over the 5700Ultra.
--
Mac Cool

TRENDING THREADS