Need advice: Considering returning to Nvidia with the 6600GT

Hi all,

I have been away from Nvidia since moving to ATI with the 9700 Pro.
Currently, I have a 9800 Pro 128 mb card.

I am about to order the parts to udgrade to an Athlon 64 bit socket 754
system.

I will be going with the 3400 Newcastle core, and an Asus Nforce3 socket 754
mb. I will wait on the 939/pci express until the dust settles in a year or
so.

I am thinking the 9800 Pro will become a bottleneck in the above system. I
figure since I will be starting with a new XP Pro install, would be a good
time for a diff vid card as well.

To help keep cost down, I am looking at the XFX 6600 GT 256 mb agp card,
Newegg currently has for 225 bucks.
Am I correct in thinking I will see a significant performance gain? I mainly
due flight simming for gaming.

Would appreciate any feedback, especially from those coming from ATI to
Nvidia now.

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."
5 answers Last reply
More about need advice returning nvidia 6600gt

    Unless you are planning on turning your old system over to someone else,
    your plans don't make a whole lot of sense. The 6600GT is not much better
    than a 9800 Pro. Why get a 754 pin A64? If you can wait a little, you
    should get a Nforce4 and make the jump to PCI-E. If you can't wait, There
    are many Nforce3 boards that support socket 939. Either way, if you stay
    with AGP you might as well just use the 9800 Pro and save $200.

    DaveL

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been away from Nvidia since moving to ATI with the 9700 Pro.
    > Currently, I have a 9800 Pro 128 mb card.
    >
    > I am about to order the parts to udgrade to an Athlon 64 bit socket 754
    > system.
    >
    > I will be going with the 3400 Newcastle core, and an Asus Nforce3 socket
    > 754 mb. I will wait on the 939/pci express until the dust settles in a
    > year or so.
    >
    > I am thinking the 9800 Pro will become a bottleneck in the above system. I
    > figure since I will be starting with a new XP Pro install, would be a good
    > time for a diff vid card as well.
    >
    > To help keep cost down, I am looking at the XFX 6600 GT 256 mb agp card,
    > Newegg currently has for 225 bucks.
    > Am I correct in thinking I will see a significant performance gain? I
    > mainly due flight simming for gaming.
    >
    > Would appreciate any feedback, especially from those coming from ATI to
    > Nvidia now.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Don Burnette
    >
    > "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
    > of the man that's doing it."

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:39:27 -0600, "Don Burnette"
    <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
    [snip...snip...]
    >To help keep cost down, I am looking at the XFX 6600 GT 256 mb agp card,
    >Newegg currently has for 225 bucks.
    >Am I correct in thinking I will see a significant performance gain? I mainly
    >due flight simming for gaming.

    My advice is not NOT N O T to move to a 6600GT AGP unless nVidia fixes
    their driver problems.

    When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, welcome to system lockup and
    a cold boot to recover.

    See several threads about this, above. Lots of the gaming forums have
    posts about the issues, as well.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    I suggest reading a lot of recent posts on the subject of 6600GT before
    making any decisions.

    --
    Regards
    Spencer

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been away from Nvidia since moving to ATI with the 9700 Pro.
    > Currently, I have a 9800 Pro 128 mb card.
    >
    > I am about to order the parts to udgrade to an Athlon 64 bit socket 754
    > system.
    >
    > I will be going with the 3400 Newcastle core, and an Asus Nforce3 socket
    754
    > mb. I will wait on the 939/pci express until the dust settles in a year or
    > so.
    >
    > I am thinking the 9800 Pro will become a bottleneck in the above system. I
    > figure since I will be starting with a new XP Pro install, would be a good
    > time for a diff vid card as well.
    >
    > To help keep cost down, I am looking at the XFX 6600 GT 256 mb agp card,
    > Newegg currently has for 225 bucks.
    > Am I correct in thinking I will see a significant performance gain? I
    mainly
    > due flight simming for gaming.
    >
    > Would appreciate any feedback, especially from those coming from ATI to
    > Nvidia now.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Don Burnette
    >
    > "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
    > of the man that's doing it."

    Don, get a plain 6800. Odds are quite high you can then enable the extra
    pipelines using Rivatuner (no modification needed) and get a free upgrade to
    a 6800GT. This card is around $300 I think.

    rms

    Consider a regular GeForce 6800, 128MB of memory. The extra 128MB of RAM
    will not increase performance much, but it will increase the price alot. I
    have 128MB of memory and it runs games just fine, even with antialiasing.

Nvidia Graphics Product