Need advice: Considering returning to Nvidia with the 6600GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2005 4:39:27 PM

Hi all,

I have been away from Nvidia since moving to ATI with the 9700 Pro.
Currently, I have a 9800 Pro 128 mb card.

I am about to order the parts to udgrade to an Athlon 64 bit socket 754
system.

I will be going with the 3400 Newcastle core, and an Asus Nforce3 socket 754
mb. I will wait on the 939/pci express until the dust settles in a year or
so.

I am thinking the 9800 Pro will become a bottleneck in the above system. I
figure since I will be starting with a new XP Pro install, would be a good
time for a diff vid card as well.

To help keep cost down, I am looking at the XFX 6600 GT 256 mb agp card,
Newegg currently has for 225 bucks.
Am I correct in thinking I will see a significant performance gain? I mainly
due flight simming for gaming.

Would appreciate any feedback, especially from those coming from ATI to
Nvidia now.

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."
January 15, 2005 4:39:28 PM

Unless you are planning on turning your old system over to someone else,
your plans don't make a whole lot of sense. The 6600GT is not much better
than a 9800 Pro. Why get a 754 pin A64? If you can wait a little, you
should get a Nforce4 and make the jump to PCI-E. If you can't wait, There
are many Nforce3 boards that support socket 939. Either way, if you stay
with AGP you might as well just use the 9800 Pro and save $200.

DaveL

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have been away from Nvidia since moving to ATI with the 9700 Pro.
> Currently, I have a 9800 Pro 128 mb card.
>
> I am about to order the parts to udgrade to an Athlon 64 bit socket 754
> system.
>
> I will be going with the 3400 Newcastle core, and an Asus Nforce3 socket
> 754 mb. I will wait on the 939/pci express until the dust settles in a
> year or so.
>
> I am thinking the 9800 Pro will become a bottleneck in the above system. I
> figure since I will be starting with a new XP Pro install, would be a good
> time for a diff vid card as well.
>
> To help keep cost down, I am looking at the XFX 6600 GT 256 mb agp card,
> Newegg currently has for 225 bucks.
> Am I correct in thinking I will see a significant performance gain? I
> mainly due flight simming for gaming.
>
> Would appreciate any feedback, especially from those coming from ATI to
> Nvidia now.
>

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
> of the man that's doing it."

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 11:33:48 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:39:27 -0600, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
[snip...snip...]
>To help keep cost down, I am looking at the XFX 6600 GT 256 mb agp card,
>Newegg currently has for 225 bucks.
>Am I correct in thinking I will see a significant performance gain? I mainly
>due flight simming for gaming.

My advice is not NOT N O T to move to a 6600GT AGP unless nVidia fixes
their driver problems.

When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, welcome to system lockup and
a cold boot to recover.

See several threads about this, above. Lots of the gaming forums have
posts about the issues, as well.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Related resources

I suggest reading a lot of recent posts on the subject of 6600GT before
making any decisions.

--
Regards
Spencer

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have been away from Nvidia since moving to ATI with the 9700 Pro.
> Currently, I have a 9800 Pro 128 mb card.
>
> I am about to order the parts to udgrade to an Athlon 64 bit socket 754
> system.
>
> I will be going with the 3400 Newcastle core, and an Asus Nforce3 socket
754
> mb. I will wait on the 939/pci express until the dust settles in a year or
> so.
>
> I am thinking the 9800 Pro will become a bottleneck in the above system. I
> figure since I will be starting with a new XP Pro install, would be a good
> time for a diff vid card as well.
>
> To help keep cost down, I am looking at the XFX 6600 GT 256 mb agp card,
> Newegg currently has for 225 bucks.
> Am I correct in thinking I will see a significant performance gain? I
mainly
> due flight simming for gaming.
>
> Would appreciate any feedback, especially from those coming from ATI to
> Nvidia now.
>

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
> of the man that's doing it."

January 16, 2005 1:17:39 AM

Don, get a plain 6800. Odds are quite high you can then enable the extra
pipelines using Rivatuner (no modification needed) and get a free upgrade to
a 6800GT. This card is around $300 I think.

rms
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:29:18 AM

Consider a regular GeForce 6800, 128MB of memory. The extra 128MB of RAM
will not increase performance much, but it will increase the price alot. I
have 128MB of memory and it runs games just fine, even with antialiasing.
!