Do GF 6800GT's have AA quality as good as the 3DFX Voodoo ..

default

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003

I am contemplating purchasing a GeForce 6800GT card but I am wondering if
the new cards have the quality of anti-aliasing that the Voodoo 5 5500 had
yet. The GF4 4200 was a large step down in quality from the V5 (but a big
speed improvement) and the FX5900 was not an improvement yet either. Does
the 6800GT finally have the quality needed yet or is it still something to
hope for the future.

Curious for others experiences.

"default" <defaultname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am contemplating purchasing a GeForce 6800GT card but I am wondering if
>the new cards have the quality of anti-aliasing that the Voodoo 5 5500 had
>yet. The GF4 4200 was a large step down in quality from the V5 (but a big
>speed improvement) and the FX5900 was not an improvement yet either. Does
>the 6800GT finally have the quality needed yet or is it still something to
>hope for the future.

No, not quite. But the 6800GT might be a little quicker :)
You can have it on 4xAA and it doesnt break a sweat. Crank up the resolution
and aliasing becomes much less of a problem

> Curious for others experiences.

> Thank you for responding. I have both a V5 5500 PCI and a GF4 TI4200agp
> installed in a dual Athlon MP2800 and if the V5 is fast enough for the game,
> then it is far nicer to play on than the 4200. I am considering a 6800GT or
> even an ultra if it needs the extra speed to use max AA/AF if that can make
> it look as good as the V5 does when playing. But I dont want to shell out
> so much money if nVidia still cannot make a superior picture. I'll have to
> wait for the GF7 then.

One thing that can be tried (I can't sorry, no GF6 series card here) is
to use a tweak programme to force super-sampling. Hopefully, rotated
grid super-sampling is an option, in which case it should theoretically
match.

Keep in mind though, most cards only use multisampling nowadays which
will only perform edge anti-aliasing by default. Forcing super-sampling
is where the tweakers come in...

default

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003

"@lias" <yahoo.com@kix_pet> wrote in message news:41eb66bf@clear.net.nz...
> One thing that can be tried (I can't sorry, no GF6 series card here) is
> to use a tweak programme to force super-sampling. Hopefully, rotated grid
> super-sampling is an option, in which case it should theoretically match.
>
> Keep in mind though, most cards only use multisampling nowadays which will
> only perform edge anti-aliasing by default. Forcing super-sampling is
> where the tweakers come in...

I'm going to have to look for such a program. (fingers crossed)

default wrote:
> "@lias" <yahoo.com@kix_pet> wrote in message news:41eb66bf@clear.net.nz...
> > One thing that can be tried (I can't sorry, no GF6 series card here) is
>
>>to use a tweak programme to force super-sampling. Hopefully, rotated grid
>>super-sampling is an option, in which case it should theoretically match.
>>
>>Keep in mind though, most cards only use multisampling nowadays which will
>>only perform edge anti-aliasing by default. Forcing super-sampling is
>>where the tweakers come in...
>

> I'm going to have to look for such a program. (fingers crossed)

rivatuner is a good one, and it's advanced features allow the adjustment
I talked about above.

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

> Thank you for responding. I have both a V5 5500 PCI and a GF4 TI4200agp
> installed in a dual Athlon MP2800 and if the V5 is fast enough for the
game,
> then it is far nicer to play on than the 4200. I am considering a 6800GT
or
> even an ultra if it needs the extra speed to use max AA/AF if that can
make
> it look as good as the V5 does when playing. But I dont want to shell out
> so much money if nVidia still cannot make a superior picture. I'll have
> wait for the GF7 then.

I am not going to critique your preference for the high quality
anti-aliasing results produced by the V5, I will not even argue that the
various antialiasing modes available to you via the 6800GT officially and
unofficially (I read the reply regarding the forced modes.) are potentially
better in visual result than anything the V5 can potentially can do, but I
can point this out:

A Voodoo5500 is not DirectX 9 compliant, (but potentially compatible?), so
any game that requires DirectX9 will not run. A GF6 is DirectX 9 compliant.
Which application are you running that is sensitive to anti-aliasing and is
Either DirectX 8 or prior? Of course, you could be not using DirectX at all,
instead a prior version of OpenGL, and an application that favours OpenGL,
say, Serious Sam?

I ask you why the application is important, for the next question begs
itself: Is this application best served by a Voodoo5500? Clearly, a person
with a budget of $400 for a GT must have some unique need for this
application, since he could easily afford to replace it.

I tingle with anticipation to the name of this incredibly rare and unique
application. And don't say Unreal Tournament!

default

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003

"Friendly Guru" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> A Voodoo5500 is not DirectX 9 compliant, (but potentially compatible?), so
> any game that requires DirectX9 will not run. A GF6 is DirectX 9
> compliant.
> Which application are you running that is sensitive to anti-aliasing and
> is
> Either DirectX 8 or prior? Of course, you could be not using DirectX at
> all,
> instead a prior version of OpenGL, and an application that favours OpenGL,
> say, Serious Sam?

Firstly we are talking about gaming. Other 3D apps like CAD run just fine
with the 4200ti.

Actually in XP pro with some of the 3rd party drivers, the V5 5500 will play
many DX9 games. Sometimes it is not fast enough since some of the functions
are emulated. This is true for OpenGL as well. In these cases I use the GF
4200ti and the speed is then adequate, but I have to suffer the much poorer
image quality. I would like the same level of enjoyment of the rendering in
all games old and new without having to switch rendering devices.

> I ask you why the application is important, for the next question begs
> itself: Is this application best served by a Voodoo5500? Clearly, a person
> with a budget of $400 for a GT must have some unique need for this
> application, since he could easily afford to replace it.

For applications where the V5 is fast enough, I of course use it and enjoy
it greatly but it is now getting too slow for many things. All 3D games
benefit from good anti-aliasing, even though I am now running everything at
1600x1200 with the new LCD. Still the V5 has stable textures that dont
wiggle as the view angle moves while the 4200ti shows texture wiggling or
swimming expecially in flight sims and racing games. Screenshots don't tell
this story since the don't show what happens during motion.

> I tingle with anticipation to the name of this incredibly rare and unique
> application. And don't say Unreal Tournament!

The games are not rare but most all games are unique. I cannot replace the
applications as games are not replaceable like office applications as then
it is not the same game anymore. If I wanted to play Need for Speed V
Porsche Unleashed, what new application will provide that experience of
gameplay? Or Microsoft Midtown Madness 2, what would be the replacement?
New games come out all the time, but only rarely are they a replacement for
an older game. Microsoft FlightSimulator is an exception where the newer
onces pretty much totally supercede the previous versions, but not so with
Microsoft Combat Flightsim. Each of the 3 games is a very different gaming
experience so all 3 remain being played.

etc.

Most of us expect PC peripherals to improve over time, even at the same
price point. But here something great has been lost in the evolution and
there seems to be no price point in consumer level nVidia video cards (like
the 6800 ultra) that has this feature enabled. I have not been able to
verify that the 6800GT or Ultra can run RGSS anti-aliasing at an acceptable
performance rate yet so I am still trying to find out if it will be good
enough before outlaying so much cash for what will basically be a toy as the
4200ti is more than adequate for work purposes so an upgrade is not really
urgent.

"default" <defaultname@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<informative snippage>

> In these cases I use the GF
> 4200ti and the speed is then adequate, but I have to suffer the much
poorer
> image quality.

> I have not been able to
> verify that the 6800GT or Ultra can run RGSS anti-aliasing at an
acceptable
> performance rate I would like the same level of enjoyment of the
rendering in
> all games old and new without having to switch rendering devices.

I believe those are your critieria, and the short answer is: "Yes, the
6800GT is superior in all regards save cost to the 4200ti."

Then back we go to the original question with a more definative answer:
"Assuming the 6800's native RGSS mode produces an image comperable to the
V5's RGSS mode, and performance is acceptable, then the 6800GT is the better
choice."

I can tell you with authority and experience that the RGSS mode, activated
by any driver suite, looks *fine*, and performs, *fine*. Not to mention
RGMS (Rotated Grid Multi Sampling). Riva Tuner, as an example, provides
access to these modes and others. Of course, any authority and expereince is
with only the applications I've tested or examined results, I suspect every
day that statement gets more and more true, FWIW.

I read your concern about "texture aliasing" the artifacts you describe as
"texture wiggling or swimming expecially in flight sims and racing games."
Interestingly enough, the 7X.XX series of Forceware drivers specifically
address that with a new setting that can "clamp" a negative LOD bias which
can eliminate texture-aliasing seen with the more inferior modes of texture
filtering.

Lastly, in my gentle nudging to get you to experience a 6800GT, you have an
LCD display that perhaps has a digital signal input. If true, the DVI output
of the 6800 is far superior to either mentioned cards outputs. Even if it
uses an analog input, the 6800 output quality is significantly higher in
terms of usable bandwidth and signal strength.

Your concerns are rational, but the 6800GT will meet your epxectations in
all areas and far surpass them in others. I'll finish with this last
mention: anti-aliasing is a substitution for higher resoultion, always has
been. When you can run an app/game in a native resolution as high or higher
than what FSAA simulates, you should choose the native resolution. Let your
eyes be your judge. 6800GT highly recommended.

There's always the X800, which uses RGMS like the Voodoo5. The card is
comparable to the 6800GT in all games save Doom3, which doesn't visibly
benefit from AA anyway.