So what's due next from Nvidia, and what of Direct X 10?

Thanks guys - just wondering if there's going to be any MAJOR graphic
innovations over the next 3 months or so, or to upgrade now from TI4200 to
6600 for the interim..

tim.

spencer

One that works out of the box maybe??
My Ti4200 works sweetly, my 6600GT doesn't.
--
Regards
Spencer

Tim :\ wrote:
> Thanks guys - just wondering if there's going to be any MAJOR graphic
> innovations over the next 3 months or so, or to upgrade now from TI4200 to
> 6600 for the interim..

I think it's AGP you are talking about, or are you going to upgrade to a
PCIe mobo as well? Considering AGP is going to be phased out slowly,
considering the newly presented cards literally took months to find
their way to stores, and considering no news has come from either ATi or
nVidia - who are both no doubt working on new GPU's that natively
support PCIe - it all depends on what you want to do now, and how long
you are willing to wait, because it really can take quite some time for
new (dx10) cards to become available.

I just went from a Ti4200 to a 6800GT (PCIe), and it was well worth the
upgrade.

"Spencer" <Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> One that works out of the box maybe??
> My Ti4200 works sweetly, my 6600GT doesn't.
> --
> Regards
> Spencer

What's your system configuration?

My BFG 6600 GT OC has worked absolutely fine on HL2, Doom3, FarCry, UT2004,
Tribes Vengeance, Halo, etc.

Used 66.93 and then 71.24 drivers.

AGP aperture set to 128 and 256.

PCI latency is 32.

This is with:

Windows XP SP2
DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
w/stock BIOS 9/14
AMD64 3200+ Newcastle CG
2X512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200
BFG GeForce 6600GT OC AGP 8X w/128MB DDR3
2X60GB Maxtor SATA HD RAID 0
Artec DVD/CDRW 52X
Ultra ULT-31646 500W w/CPS
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Aircooled
Saitek Gaming KB
Logitech MX510
Envision EFT920
Logitech X-230
NO OVERCLOCKING (except BFG factory OC Videocard)

!bungle

> "Tim :\" <timbo@timland.com.au> wrote in message
>> Thanks guys - just wondering if there's going to be any MAJOR graphic
>> innovations over the next 3 months or so, or to upgrade now from TI4200
>> 6600 for the interim..
>>
>> tim.

spencer

I shall be testing my BFG6600GT in another system tomorrow, my feeling is
that I may have a bad board, however on this NG there have been about 20
people who are having major lockup problems on a variety of different makes
of 6600gt (Leadtek, MSI, XFX, Gainward, BFG) and about 3 who have not had
any problems at all.
I can't even run the Nvidia 'Dawn' demo!
I have tried all drivers up to 71.24, aperture set to 128, PCI and AGP
latency set to 64.
Couldn't set all bios to Nvidias recommended settings as my bios is locked
(OEM mobo) but SiSoftSandra confirms that everything is where it should be.

Pentium P4 2.6
512mb
120Gb HD
cd writer and DVD
everything else stripped out.
Win-TV(Hauppage)
--
Regards
Spencer

http://mysite.freeserve.com/PoserWarehouse/index.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/anaglyphwarehouse/index.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cartoonwarehouse/index.html

>I shall be testing my BFG6600GT in another system tomorrow, my feeling is
> that I may have a bad board, however on this NG there have been about 20
> people who are having major lockup problems on a variety of different
> makes
> of 6600gt (Leadtek, MSI, XFX, Gainward, BFG) and about 3 who have not had
> any problems at all.
> I can't even run the Nvidia 'Dawn' demo!
> I have tried all drivers up to 71.24, aperture set to 128, PCI and AGP
> latency set to 64.
> Couldn't set all bios to Nvidias recommended settings as my bios is locked
> (OEM mobo) but SiSoftSandra confirms that everything is where it should
> be.
>
> Pentium P4 2.6
> 512mb
> 120Gb HD
> cd writer and DVD
> everything else stripped out.
> Win-TV(Hauppage)
> --
> Regards
> Spencer
>

> http://mysite.freeserve.com/PoserWarehouse/index.html
> http://mysite.freeserve.com/anaglyphwarehouse/index.html
> http://mysite.freeserve.com/cartoonwarehouse/index.html

Spence- You may have been asked this before, but what wattage and brand is
your power supply? And how do you have your video card plugged into it? For
example, are you using all the connectors on the cable that your card is
plugged into? What other components are plugged into that cable?

BTW- all the demos (Dawn, Dusk, Ogre, and Vulcan) work fine on my setup as
well. Vulcan is gorgeous, esp. on slo-mo...

!bungle

> "!bungle" <stratosrally@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Spencer" <Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > One that works out of the box maybe??
>> > My Ti4200 works sweetly, my 6600GT doesn't.
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Spencer
>> >

>> What's your system configuration?
>>
>> My BFG 6600 GT OC has worked absolutely fine on HL2, Doom3, FarCry,
> UT2004,
>> Tribes Vengeance, Halo, etc.
>>
>> Used 66.93 and then 71.24 drivers.
>>
>> AGP aperture set to 128 and 256.
>>
>> PCI latency is 32.
>>
>> This is with:
>>
>> Windows XP SP2
>> DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
>> w/stock BIOS 9/14
>> AMD64 3200+ Newcastle CG
>> 2X512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200
>> BFG GeForce 6600GT OC AGP 8X w/128MB DDR3
>> 2X60GB Maxtor SATA HD RAID 0
>> Artec DVD/CDRW 52X
>> Ultra ULT-31646 500W w/CPS
>> CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Aircooled
>> Saitek Gaming KB
>> Logitech MX510
>> Envision EFT920
>> Logitech X-230
>> NO OVERCLOCKING (except BFG factory OC Videocard)
>>
>> !bungle
>>

>> > "Tim :\" <timbo@timland.com.au> wrote in message

spencer

I nought a new power supply specially for the 6600GT, it's a 350Watt Q-Tech
from Maplins in the UK.
and yes the card is connected with the p/s dongle (on the same line as the
HD, this cable has only two connectors. The other cable supplies the cd
writer, the DVD and the floppy drive)

--

>I nought a new power supply specially for the 6600GT, it's a 350Watt Q-Tech
> from Maplins in the UK.
> and yes the card is connected with the p/s dongle (on the same line as the
> HD, this cable has only two connectors. The other cable supplies the cd
> writer, the DVD and the floppy drive)
>
> --
> Regards
> Spencer
>

> http://mysite.freeserve.com/PoserWarehouse/index.html
> http://mysite.freeserve.com/anaglyphwarehouse/index.html
> http://mysite.freeserve.com/cartoonwarehouse/index.html

Well, according to this review:

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/power/qtech/350W/

That's a decent power supply, but I'd have gone for a bit more output. The
manual states that a 350W should suffice, though. I originally had an
off-brand 430W and was recommended by DFI (my motherboard mfg) support techs
to go to a better brand and if I could afford it, more power. Unfortunately
the power ratings supplied by mfg are not always accurate. I ended up buying
this:

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_47&products_id=270

and have been content with my purchase. Again- you seem to be within spec
on yours. Your connections are done as they recommended as well.

Have you contacted BFG? Have they replied? How does your card do on other
games?

!bungle

spencer

The 6600gt won't run any of the games that I play on the Ti4200, like
Serious Sam 1 or 2 - in fact if anything moves on screen it will freeze in
any game which the Ti4200 plays succesfully. ( I think it manages 'Patience'
ok though)

Yes I've contacted BFG, their suggestions have got me nowhere so far (and I
haven't had anything from them for over 48 Hours), but as I say I think my
card maybe faulty - that's why I'm trying it in another machine tomorrow.
I've been back on the Ti4200 for 24 hours, nice to be in a stable
environment again.

--
Regards
Spencer

http://mysite.freeserve.com/PoserWarehouse/index.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/anaglyphwarehouse/index.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cartoonwarehouse/index.html

> Well, according to this review:
>
> http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/power/qtech/350W/
>
> That's a decent power supply, but I'd have gone for a bit more output. The
Again- you seem to be within spec
> on yours. Your connections are done as they recommended as well.
>
> Have you contacted BFG? Have they replied? How does your card do on other
> games?
>
> !bungle

"Spencer" <Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I nought a new power supply specially for the 6600GT, it's a 350Watt Q-Tech
> from Maplins in the UK.

lol....Q-tech.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Spencer,

You've been belly-aching about your 6600gt for a while now. It looks like
maybe the card does not like your SIS chipset motherboard. Have you tried
the the new 7x.xx drivers yet?

DaveL

"Spencer" <Spencer@NOSPAMClive.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I nought a new power supply specially for the 6600GT, it's a 350Watt Q-Tech
> from Maplins in the UK.
> and yes the card is connected with the p/s dongle (on the same line as the
> HD, this cable has only two connectors. The other cable supplies the cd
> writer, the DVD and the floppy drive)
>
> --
> Regards
> Spencer
>

> http://mysite.freeserve.com/PoserWarehouse/index.html
> http://mysite.freeserve.com/anaglyphwarehouse/index.html
> http://mysite.freeserve.com/cartoonwarehouse/index.html
>

> "!bungle" <stratosrally@hotmail.com> wrote in message

spencer

Yes I have - made no difference. I'm pretty sure it's the SIS chipset too,
it doesn't say on the box 'Will not work on SIS systems'. I'l be trying it
in another PC with a Via chipset over the next day or so.
BFG suggested the power supply that I bought might not be giving the full
350Watt so I went and bought another one - 400watt £55 ($100)
Made not a scrap of difference 'Dusk' demo freezes after 90 seconds.
I'm back on my old Ti4200 - Driver version 56.64 - last known stable
version.
More belly-aching to come ...