OEM on OEM

revned911

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have an OEM version of vista installed when I built my computer. I want to upgrade to Win7 Professional - the OEM on newegg is cheaper than the upgrade disc. Can I install OEM Windows 7 on my system with an OEM Vista already installed?

Solution
Yes, you should be able to run the upgrade from Vista to 7 with an OEM disk. OEM copies are exactly the same as the full retail copies with 2 exceptions.

First, OEM copies only have either a 32 bit install disk, or a 64 bit install disk in the package (depending on which one you buy), but not both. Second, OEM licenses cannot be moved to a new PC if you upgrade your computer, or buy a new one. They must remain with the original PC you installed them on.
Yes, you should be able to run the upgrade from Vista to 7 with an OEM disk. OEM copies are exactly the same as the full retail copies with 2 exceptions.

First, OEM copies only have either a 32 bit install disk, or a 64 bit install disk in the package (depending on which one you buy), but not both. Second, OEM licenses cannot be moved to a new PC if you upgrade your computer, or buy a new one. They must remain with the original PC you installed them on.

Solution