Banshee still the fastest car?

Last response: in Video Games
August 5, 2005 10:24:13 PM

I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
(and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
this true, or is there better around San Andreas?

More about : banshee fastest car

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:24:14 PM

Fast is easy. There are tonnes of very fast cars in SA.

I find the Bullet (Ford GT) to be as about as fast as I want, and
durable as well. You drop the power, it jumps. It's a great getaway car
too.

Favourite cars are all personal preference. I like the Washington
(Cadillac Seville) as a general 'getting around' car. The Japanese,
English and Italian imports are all too fragile.

I prefer the FCR900 as the bike of choice but it's rare.

T.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:26:05 PM

Brodieman wrote:

> I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
> (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
> Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
> this true, or is there better around San Andreas?

the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest. Have
you tried the Turismo or whatever it's called? It's a while since i
drove it but I'm sure you kind of lose sense of reality when flooring
it
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

In article <42F3BD41.5C616B2C@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Brodieman wrote:
> >
> > I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
> > (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
> > Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
> > this true, or is there better around San Andreas?
>
> the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
> seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest. Have
> you tried the Turismo or whatever it's called? It's a while since i
> drove it but I'm sure you kind of lose sense of reality when flooring
> it

IMO The Turismo is fun to fishtail around corners, the Bullet seems a
wee bit faster but far harder to control.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:57:23 PM

tlai909@visto.com wrote:

> Fast is easy. There are tonnes of very fast cars in SA.
>
> I find the Bullet (Ford GT) to be as about as fast as I want, and
> durable as well. You drop the power, it jumps. It's a great getaway car
> too.

yes, nice car indeed

> Favourite cars are all personal preference. I like the Washington
> (Cadillac Seville) as a general 'getting around' car. The Japanese,
> English and Italian imports are all too fragile.

Still goes to either Slamvan, for outrageous, Elegy for nasty wheel
spinning suicide trips and the Patriot or sandking for climbing
mountains

> I prefer the FCR900 as the bike of choice but it's rare.
>
> T.

yep, though once you do the car import you can buy one there too
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:57:52 PM

Cyrus wrote:

> In article <42F3BD41.5C616B2C@blueyonder.co.uk>,
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Brodieman wrote:
> > >
> > > I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
> > > (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
> > > Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
> > > this true, or is there better around San Andreas?
> >
> > the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
> > seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest. Have
> > you tried the Turismo or whatever it's called? It's a while since i
> > drove it but I'm sure you kind of lose sense of reality when flooring
> > it
>
> IMO The Turismo is fun to fishtail around corners, the Bullet seems a
> wee bit faster but far harder to control.
>
> --
> Cyrus
>
> *coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

I like the turismo stylee though
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:54:09 AM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:26:05 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

> Brodieman wrote:
>>
>> I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
>> (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
>> Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
>> this true, or is there better around San Andreas?
>
> the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
> seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest. Have
> you tried the Turismo or whatever it's called? It's a while since i
> drove it but I'm sure you kind of lose sense of reality when flooring
> it

I've not seen one of those yet...
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:04:49 AM

Brodieman wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:26:05 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> > Brodieman wrote:
> >>
> >> I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
> >> (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
> >> Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
> >> this true, or is there better around San Andreas?
> >
> > the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
> > seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest. Have
> > you tried the Turismo or whatever it's called? It's a while since i
> > drove it but I'm sure you kind of lose sense of reality when flooring
> > it
>
> I've not seen one of those yet...

I think it only appears in Las venturas. Looks like a Ferrari f40 or
such, but a bit cheaper :o )

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:10:57 AM

My favourite fast car is the Bullet. It has excellent handling, whereas
the Banshee isn't so good at fast corners. For in-town driving I like
the erm.. Sultan? Whatever the Subaru Imprezza is, have had one painted
up nicely.

--
http://www.aligrant.com/

"Never be ashamed of not knowing a
thing, but always be ashamed of not
wanting to know."
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:10:58 AM

Alastair Grant wrote:

> My favourite fast car is the Bullet. It has excellent handling, whereas
> the Banshee isn't so good at fast corners. For in-town driving I like
> the erm.. Sultan? Whatever the Subaru Imprezza is, have had one painted
> up nicely.

yep, sultan.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:12:48 AM

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Brodieman wrote:

>>> the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
>>> seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest.
>>> Have you tried the Turismo or whatever it's called? It's a while
>>> since i drove it but I'm sure you kind of lose sense of reality
>>> when flooring it
>>
>> I've not seen one of those yet...
>
> I think it only appears in Las venturas. Looks like a Ferrari f40 or
> such, but a bit cheaper :o )

Which is the obvious honda NSX copy?
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:14:10 AM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:04:49 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

> Brodieman wrote:

>>> the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
>>> seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest. Have
>>> you tried the Turismo or whatever it's called? It's a while since i
>>> drove it but I'm sure you kind of lose sense of reality when flooring
>>> it
>>
>> I've not seen one of those yet...
>
> I think it only appears in Las venturas. Looks like a Ferrari f40 or
> such, but a bit cheaper :o )

I've got a long way to go before I reach Las Venturas, esp given the amount
of time I get to play the game at the moment. But I have had a fleeting
glimpse of it, before being shot down in flames =)
August 6, 2005 4:31:43 AM

TV's Brodieman wrote:
> I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
> (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
> Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
> this true, or is there better around San Andreas?

The Banshee is great, and I've always liked the Turismo (based on a Ferarri
F40) and the Cheetah (based on some sort of Ferrari as well). The only
thing I don't like about the mid-engined cars (like the Turismo) is the fact
that when driving in first-person view, you cannot see the engine so you
cannot tell if it is smoking or on fire unless you look in the rear view
mirror. You'll be driving along and BOOM! Wasted.

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.

aa #2133
ap #19
August 6, 2005 4:48:51 AM

TV's tlai909@visto.com wrote:
> Fast is easy. There are tonnes of very fast cars in SA.
>
> I find the Bullet (Ford GT) to be as about as fast as I want, and
> durable as well. You drop the power, it jumps. It's a great getaway car
> too.
>
> Favourite cars are all personal preference. I like the Washington
> (Cadillac Seville)

Nope. It's an early-80's Fox-bodied Lincoln Continental (get it?
Lincoln...Washington?)

http://www.thelincolnarchive.com/1983_lincoln_contienta...

Trivoo: The Mustang from 1979 to 1993 (and the Mercury Capri from 79-86),
including the break-your-neck-fast 5.0 GT's of the late 80's-early 90's were
based on the same Fox platform. The 1994-2004 Mustangs were based on a
modified version of this platform. Some of the performance parts from the
Mustang will bolt right onto these cars, so it's easy to make sleepers out
of these cars, although they are heavier than the Mustang.

Other Fox-platform cars include:
-1978-1983 Ford Fairmont/Mercury Zephyr
-1980-1987 Ford Thunderbird/Merc Cougar
-the "smaller" LTD's in the early-mid 90's (the cop car in Vice City is
based on one of these cars)
-redesigned Ford Granada of early 80's

>as a general 'getting around' car. The Japanese,
> English and Italian imports are all too fragile.

I wonder what the fastest four-door car in the game is? I'm guessing the
Sultan, but I could be wrong.

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan

aa #2133
ap #19
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:54:42 AM

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Brodieman wrote:

> >> I've not seen one of those yet...
> >
> > I think it only appears in Las venturas. Looks like a Ferrari f40 or
> > such, but a bit cheaper :o )
>
> Which is the obvious honda NSX copy?
> --
> Alex

that's the Infernus... damned nice car.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:55:12 AM

Brodieman wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:04:49 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> > Brodieman wrote:

> >> I've not seen one of those yet...
> >
> > I think it only appears in Las venturas. Looks like a Ferrari f40 or
> > such, but a bit cheaper :o )
>
> I've got a long way to go before I reach Las Venturas, esp given the amount
> of time I get to play the game at the moment. But I have had a fleeting
> glimpse of it, before being shot down in flames =)

:o )) You can only dream then.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
August 6, 2005 4:58:08 AM

TV's towelie wrote:
> TV's tlai909@visto.com wrote:
>> Fast is easy. There are tonnes of very fast cars in SA.
>>
>> I find the Bullet (Ford GT) to be as about as fast as I want, and
>> durable as well. You drop the power, it jumps. It's a great getaway car
>> too.
>>
>> Favourite cars are all personal preference. I like the Washington
>> (Cadillac Seville)
>
> Nope. It's an early-80's Fox-bodied Lincoln Continental (get it?
> Lincoln...Washington?)

Speaking of Lincs, look closely and you'll see the basis for the Remington:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lincoln_Continental_...

The headlights are exposed on the Remington, and the rear end is styled
differently, but the overall shape of the car is similar.

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan

aa #2133
ap #19
August 6, 2005 2:44:08 PM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:26:05 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

> Brodieman wrote:
>>
>> I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the
>> Xbox (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I
>> nabbed a Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most
>> drivable car! Is this true, or is there better around San Andreas?
>
> the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
> seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest.

didn't someone post (a link to?) a table of car speeds recently?

if i remember correctly, the guy used a stopwatch to time a vehicle
between two points and the infernus came out as the fastest.

hang on a second, a quick search on google came up with this...

------

INFERNUS 1400.0 2725.3 1.5 0.0 0.0 -0.25 70 0.70 0.8 0.50 5
240.0 30.0 10.0 4 P 11.0 0.51 0 30.0 1.2 0.19 0.0 0.25 -0.10 0.5
0.4 0.37 0.72 95000 40002004 C04000 1 1 1

TURISMO 1400.0 3000.0 2.0 0.0 -0.3 -0.2 70 0.75 0.85 0.45 5
240.0 30.0 10.0 4 P 11.0 0.51 0 30.0 1.2 0.13 0.0 0.15 -0.20 0.5
0.4 0.17 0.72 95000 40002004 C08401 1 1 1

They both have same top speed and acceleration. The Turismo has slightly
better handling/grip, but weighs slightly more.. All in all, they're both
equivalent... but I would have to go with Turismo as it's been the
undoubted winner since PS2 release.

------
August 6, 2005 2:45:22 PM

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:58:08 -0500, towelie wrote:

> TV's towelie wrote:
>> TV's tlai909@visto.com wrote:
>>> Fast is easy. There are tonnes of very fast cars in SA.
>>>
>>> I find the Bullet (Ford GT) to be as about as fast as I want, and
>>> durable as well. You drop the power, it jumps. It's a great getaway car
>>> too.
>>>
>>> Favourite cars are all personal preference. I like the Washington
>>> (Cadillac Seville)
>>
>> Nope. It's an early-80's Fox-bodied Lincoln Continental (get it?
>> Lincoln...Washington?)
>
> Speaking of Lincs, look closely and you'll see the basis for the
> Remington:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lincoln_Continental_...
>
> The headlights are exposed on the Remington, and the rear end is styled
> differently, but the overall shape of the car is similar.

is that a bobcat next to it or a cartel cruiser? :-)
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:56:34 PM

bryan wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:26:05 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> > Brodieman wrote:
> >>
> >> I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the
> >> Xbox (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I
> >> nabbed a Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most
> >> drivable car! Is this true, or is there better around San Andreas?
> >
> > the banshee is terrific, always has been. There are a few cars which
> > seem scarily fast now though, but hard to tell which is fastest.
>
> didn't someone post (a link to?) a table of car speeds recently?
>
> if i remember correctly, the guy used a stopwatch to time a vehicle
> between two points and the infernus came out as the fastest.
>
> hang on a second, a quick search on google came up with this...
>
> ------
>
> INFERNUS 1400.0 2725.3 1.5 0.0 0.0 -0.25 70 0.70 0.8 0.50 5
> 240.0 30.0 10.0 4 P 11.0 0.51 0 30.0 1.2 0.19 0.0 0.25 -0.10 0.5
> 0.4 0.37 0.72 95000 40002004 C04000 1 1 1
>
> TURISMO 1400.0 3000.0 2.0 0.0 -0.3 -0.2 70 0.75 0.85 0.45 5
> 240.0 30.0 10.0 4 P 11.0 0.51 0 30.0 1.2 0.13 0.0 0.15 -0.20 0.5
> 0.4 0.17 0.72 95000 40002004 C08401 1 1 1
>
> They both have same top speed and acceleration. The Turismo has slightly
> better handling/grip, but weighs slightly more.. All in all, they're both
> equivalent... but I would have to go with Turismo as it's been the
> undoubted winner since PS2 release.
>
> ------

It may be a little more fragile though, or maybe its speed makes it
seem so. some of the sports cars seem to fall to bits when you look at
them!
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:00:53 PM

In message <y3uffe69rtz1$.e9ss6ijv8g9n.dlg@40tude.net>
Brodieman <stephenduffield*delete*@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
> (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
> Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
> this true, or is there better around San Andreas?

The Banshee is still a great car, but I think the Cheetah, Bullitt or
Super GT are faster.

The Banshee is also still my favourite GTAIII car, I still totally dig
roaring around Portland doing the Taxi Driver missions in it.

Cheers,
Rob
August 6, 2005 4:09:19 PM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:48:51 -0500, towelie wrote:

> TV's tlai909@visto.com wrote:
>> Fast is easy. There are tonnes of very fast cars in SA.
>>
>> I find the Bullet (Ford GT) to be as about as fast as I want, and
>> durable as well. You drop the power, it jumps. It's a great getaway car
>> too.
>>
>> Favourite cars are all personal preference. I like the Washington
>> (Cadillac Seville)
>
> Nope. It's an early-80's Fox-bodied Lincoln Continental (get it?
> Lincoln...Washington?)
>
> http://www.thelincolnarchive.com/1983_lincoln_contienta...

Thats given me a great idea. I'm gonna steal one and drive it into a
swimming pool =)
August 6, 2005 4:53:21 PM

TV's bryan wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:58:08 -0500, towelie wrote:
>
>> TV's towelie wrote:

>>> Nope. It's an early-80's Fox-bodied Lincoln Continental (get it?
>>> Lincoln...Washington?)
>>
>> Speaking of Lincs, look closely and you'll see the basis for the
>> Remington:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lincoln_Continental_...
>>
>> The headlights are exposed on the Remington, and the rear end is styled
>> differently, but the overall shape of the car is similar.
>
> is that a bobcat next to it or a cartel cruiser? :-)

That's actually a very rare Lincoln Blackwood. Only 3,356 were produced in
2002, the only year of production. Basically a Ford F150 crew cab with
leather seats and a power tonneau cover.

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan

aa #2133
ap #19
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 11:51:29 PM

In message <1jas3yr3ofy64$.15vw2n3tiefcs.dlg@40tude.net>
Brodieman <stephenduffield*delete*@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thats given me a great idea. I'm gonna steal one and drive it into a
> swimming pool =)

Good man, btw, anybody else read 'Dear Boy' by Tony Fletcher?

Apparently it *never* happened.

Cheers,
Rob
August 8, 2005 11:01:01 AM

> Why are all hybrid-cars like the Toyota Prius so ugly? The only
> cool hybrid would be the Honda Civic IMA, though the electro
> motor is too weak there.

*cough* The Lexus Rh400 is actually pretty sweet looking for a hybrid
('specially in black with tinted widows & giant chrome pimp-wheels).
"Bling ya biatch!" etc.
=)

Though I wouldn't necessarily want to drive a hybrid in GTA.
Track-racing a Prius in GT4 was pointless enough...
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:46:55 PM

adcb schrieb:

>>Heh, yeah, it's been in the game a fair while. Just lay gran turismo
>>and prove you know the difference :o )
>

> lay gran turismo??? do you not get paper cuts off the manual, ouch.
> ;-)

From the things-not-to-do departement:

First play Burnout 3, then switch to Gran Turismo.
Maaaaan is this ssllooww! =:-)

CU, Venty
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:46:56 PM

Martin Ebnoether wrote:

> adcb schrieb:
>
> >>Heh, yeah, it's been in the game a fair while. Just lay gran turismo
> >>and prove you know the difference :o )
> >

> > lay gran turismo??? do you not get paper cuts off the manual, ouch.
> > ;-)
>
> From the things-not-to-do departement:
>
> First play Burnout 3, then switch to Gran Turismo.
> Maaaaan is this ssllooww! =:-)
>
> CU, Venty

hehe. I'm dreading going back after forza
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:14:38 PM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:46:55 +0200, Martin Ebnoether
<martin.ebnoether@web.de> wrote:

>adcb schrieb:
>
>>>Heh, yeah, it's been in the game a fair while. Just lay gran turismo
>>>and prove you know the difference :o )
>>

>> lay gran turismo??? do you not get paper cuts off the manual, ouch.
>> ;-)
>
> From the things-not-to-do departement:
>
>First play Burnout 3, then switch to Gran Turismo.
>Maaaaan is this ssllooww! =:-)
>
>CU, Venty

Yeh, and trying to take people down does not do wonders for your lap
times i have found.

On a side (and totally unrelated) note i have just bought tekken 5, if
you like fighting games this is the one to get, it is awesome, total
improvement from 4 which was a total dissapointment. I dont think i
have ever seen the ps2 put out graphics like it in the fighting game
genre
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:48:23 PM

> Speaking of Lincs, look closely and you'll see the basis for the
Remington:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lincoln_Continental_...
>
> The headlights are exposed on the Remington, and the rear end is styled
> differently, but the overall shape of the car is similar.

Is that the same car Carrie Fisher's character drives in The Blues Brothers?
August 13, 2005 10:51:46 PM

TV's adcb wrote:
> Hybrid cars are generally ugly i concur, but you dont need to go that
> far for a substantial change to CO2 emmissions, just dropping all
> american cars from 3litre engines that only produce 100hp to 1.8t
> that produce 140hp and half the fuel is burnt.

What 2005 car makes 100 horsepower out of 3 liters?

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan

aa #2133
ap #19
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 3:55:59 AM

towelie wrote:

> That car is over 25 years old. Modern US-made cars are very efficient,
> except for trucks and SUV's.
>
> --

so which would you rather have?

http://www.theburn.com/nathan118/images/mustang.jpg

or

http://www.harrys-fordpage.com/1969_shelby_mustang_gt_5...

:o ))

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
August 14, 2005 4:20:01 AM

TV's Paul Heslop wrote:
> towelie wrote:
>
>> That car is over 25 years old. Modern US-made cars are very efficient,
>> except for trucks and SUV's.
>>
>> --
>
> so which would you rather have?
>
> http://www.theburn.com/nathan118/images/mustang.jpg
>
> or
>
> http://www.harrys-fordpage.com/1969_shelby_mustang_gt_5...

I'll take the second one, although the URL is not correct. The car is
actually a 1968 model. It's not stock either, the car is a custom. Here's
a stock 68 Shelby:

http://www.1inamillioncars.com/68shelbygt500.jpg

What a beautiful car. Why anybody would customize such a rare car is beyond
me.

While we're at it, here's a 69 model:
http://www.ritzsite.net/Shelby-Mustang/1969_Ford_Shelby...

The new Mustang is OK, but the front end is butt-ugly. I really dislike the
wrap-around park lights. And the back of the car is too high in comparison
to the front. However, a Shelby version of the car is going to be
reintroduced in 2007 after a 37 year hiatus. With a 450+ horsepower
supercharged V8. The front end styling is much improved on the prototypes:

http://www.autoweek.com/files/weekart/2005/0328/mustang...

Much meaner looking than the "deer caught in headlights" googly-eyed look of
the standard model. I just hope the actual car looks like this.

I actually (sorta) have a Mustang of my own. It's a 66 V8 car, but is only
a shell. The doors and decklid are there, but no front clip or interior.
It does have a suspension. Fortunately, the Mustang is a very popular car
and Ford built a gazillion of them, so parts are very reasonable and the
shell I have is in decent shape with little rust for a 40 year old car.
Here's a pic of a 66:

http://www.mustangreview.com/images/66coup_lf.jpg

Plans for the car include a late model 351W fuel injected engine and 5 speed
manual transmission. Expected power output should exceed 400 horsepower,
which will be more than enough to get me in trouble. The modern fuel
injected engine will make the car more reliable than an old carbureted
engine, and it should get good fuel economy.

I also have a 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 two-door hardtop. Here's a 62 like
mine:

http://62ford.com/registry/images/2N63Z111804.jpg

The car is equipped with a 390 V8 and is almost all original and will stay
that way, except for some possible internal engine upgrades. It is complete
and running, and the car is in good shape with little rust.

http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/PP62Galaxy88.jpg

And I have a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air two-door hardtop:

http://local.aaca.org/bullrun/images/ODMA2002078.jpg

The Chevy is in similar condition as the Mustang. It was originally a 6
cylinder 3 speed. Plans include a small block V8 and to keep the car 90-95%
stock appearing.

Yes, I am obsessed with automobiles.

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan

aa #2133
ap #19
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:26:44 PM

towelie wrote:

> TV's Paul Heslop wrote:
> > towelie wrote:
> >
> >> That car is over 25 years old. Modern US-made cars are very efficient,
> >> except for trucks and SUV's.
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > so which would you rather have?
> >
> > http://www.theburn.com/nathan118/images/mustang.jpg
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://www.harrys-fordpage.com/1969_shelby_mustang_gt_5...
>
> I'll take the second one, although the URL is not correct. The car is
> actually a 1968 model. It's not stock either, the car is a custom. Here's
> a stock 68 Shelby:
>
> http://www.1inamillioncars.com/68shelbygt500.jpg
>
> What a beautiful car. Why anybody would customize such a rare car is beyond
> me.

I did think it looked a little different, but still awesome. The
Mustang has been embossed on my heart since I first saw Bullit.

> While we're at it, here's a 69 model:
> http://www.ritzsite.net/Shelby-Mustang/1969_Ford_Shelby...

Not bad, the front's a little too clean really, but a nice overall
effect

> The new Mustang is OK, but the front end is butt-ugly. I really dislike the
> wrap-around park lights. And the back of the car is too high in comparison
> to the front. However, a Shelby version of the car is going to be
> reintroduced in 2007 after a 37 year hiatus. With a 450+ horsepower
> supercharged V8. The front end styling is much improved on the prototypes:
>
> http://www.autoweek.com/files/weekart/2005/0328/mustang...
>
> Much meaner looking than the "deer caught in headlights" googly-eyed look of
> the standard model. I just hope the actual car looks like this.

Me too, that looks like it means business, i could picture the late Mr
Mcqueen roaring around in that.

> I actually (sorta) have a Mustang of my own. It's a 66 V8 car, but is only
> a shell. The doors and decklid are there, but no front clip or interior.
> It does have a suspension. Fortunately, the Mustang is a very popular car
> and Ford built a gazillion of them, so parts are very reasonable and the
> shell I have is in decent shape with little rust for a 40 year old car.
> Here's a pic of a 66:
>
> http://www.mustangreview.com/images/66coup_lf.jpg

Nice... a little square, but still nice

> Plans for the car include a late model 351W fuel injected engine and 5 speed
> manual transmission. Expected power output should exceed 400 horsepower,
> which will be more than enough to get me in trouble. The modern fuel
> injected engine will make the car more reliable than an old carbureted
> engine, and it should get good fuel economy.

Do they tent to wallow or are they good road holders? Seems whenever
you drive one in a game they're slow and wobbly, which is a hell of a
shame..

> I also have a 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 two-door hardtop. Here's a 62 like
> mine:
>
> http://62ford.com/registry/images/2N63Z111804.jpg

Nice... despite the boxiness it still looks sporty

> The car is equipped with a 390 V8 and is almost all original and will stay
> that way, except for some possible internal engine upgrades. It is complete
> and running, and the car is in good shape with little rust.
>
> http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/PP62Galaxy88.jpg

not keen on the baby blue though!

> And I have a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air two-door hardtop:
>
> http://local.aaca.org/bullrun/images/ODMA2002078.jpg

> The Chevy is in similar condition as the Mustang. It was originally a 6
> cylinder 3 speed. Plans include a small block V8 and to keep the car 90-95%
> stock appearing.

I'm mucho impressed! For a brit I've always been pretty interested in
american motors and as a lad I'd say i was obsessed. Sadly I don't
drive and don't have the cash, so they're all pipe dreams which I have
to rely on games like this and Forza-GT4 etc etc to drive... but hey,
it's better than nothing.

> Yes, I am obsessed with automobiles.

I used to say if I ever win the lottery I'd buy either a Bentley or
Aston Martin Vantage and be chauffeur driven to the highlands of
Scotland... a pipe dream yes but a dream anyway :o )

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
August 14, 2005 5:33:11 PM

TV's Paul Heslop wrote:

>> I'll take the second one, although the URL is not correct. The car is
>> actually a 1968 model. It's not stock either, the car is a custom.
>> Here's
>> a stock 68 Shelby:
>>
>> http://www.1inamillioncars.com/68shelbygt500.jpg
>>
>> What a beautiful car. Why anybody would customize such a rare car is
>> beyond
>> me.
>>
> I did think it looked a little different, but still awesome. The
> Mustang has been embossed on my heart since I first saw Bullit.

My dad has had a 66 since before I was born, and it's the first car I
remember riding in.

>> Plans for the car include a late model 351W fuel injected engine and 5
>> speed
>> manual transmission. Expected power output should exceed 400 horsepower,
>> which will be more than enough to get me in trouble. The modern fuel
>> injected engine will make the car more reliable than an old carbureted
>> engine, and it should get good fuel economy.
>>

> Do they tent to wallow or are they good road holders? Seems whenever
> you drive one in a game they're slow and wobbly, which is a hell of a
> shame..

They handle pretty decently for the era. My dad's 66 has manual steering,
so the steering ratio is very high, but the roadholding is good.

>> I also have a 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 two-door hardtop. Here's a 62 like
>> mine:
>>
>> http://62ford.com/registry/images/2N63Z111804.jpg
>
> Nice... despite the boxiness it still looks sporty

The 60's were a boxy period for US styling.

>> The car is equipped with a 390 V8 and is almost all original and will
>> stay
>> that way, except for some possible internal engine upgrades. It is
>> complete
>> and running, and the car is in good shape with little rust.
>>
>> http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/PP62Galaxy88.jpg
>
> not keen on the baby blue though!

Mine was originally white with a turquoise top, but I'm thinking about
reversing the colors.

>> Yes, I am obsessed with automobiles.
>>
> I used to say if I ever win the lottery I'd buy either a Bentley or
> Aston Martin Vantage and be chauffeur driven to the highlands of
> Scotland... a pipe dream yes but a dream anyway :o )

If I won the lottery, I'd probably buy cars until I ran out of money.

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan

aa #2133
ap #19
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 11:45:38 PM

towelie wrote:

> > I did think it looked a little different, but still awesome. The
> > Mustang has been embossed on my heart since I first saw Bullit.
>
> My dad has had a 66 since before I was born, and it's the first car I
> remember riding in.

bit different from a Ford Pop :o )

http://www.tomspages.freeserve.co.uk/pop/PA140004s400.j...

one of the first cars my father owned

> > Do they tent to wallow or are they good road holders? Seems whenever
> > you drive one in a game they're slow and wobbly, which is a hell of a
> > shame..
>
> They handle pretty decently for the era. My dad's 66 has manual steering,
> so the steering ratio is very high, but the roadholding is good.

Good, they always look good on film and tv but lousy in games

> >> I also have a 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 two-door hardtop. Here's a 62 like
> >> mine:
> >>
> >> http://62ford.com/registry/images/2N63Z111804.jpg
> >
> > Nice... despite the boxiness it still looks sporty
>
> The 60's were a boxy period for US styling.

yeah. I didn't mind too much but we had stuff like Aston martin and
Etype during this period so it was nice to see cars like the corvette.

> > not keen on the baby blue though!
>
> Mine was originally white with a turquoise top, but I'm thinking about
> reversing the colors.
>
> >> Yes, I am obsessed with automobiles.
> >>
> > I used to say if I ever win the lottery I'd buy either a Bentley or
> > Aston Martin Vantage and be chauffeur driven to the highlands of
> > Scotland... a pipe dream yes but a dream anyway :o )
>
> If I won the lottery, I'd probably buy cars until I ran out of money.

:o )

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
August 15, 2005 1:19:38 AM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:45:38 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

> towelie wrote:
>
>> > I did think it looked a little different, but still awesome. The
>> > Mustang has been embossed on my heart since I first saw Bullit.
>>
>> My dad has had a 66 since before I was born, and it's the first car I
>> remember riding in.
>>
> bit different from a Ford Pop :o )
>
> http://www.tomspages.freeserve.co.uk/pop/PA140004s400.j...
>
> one of the first cars my father owned

now _that_ is a car with character.

--

http://www.thegtaplace.com/sastats/index.php?user=bryan...
Anonymous

bryan wrote:

> >> My dad has had a 66 since before I was born, and it's the first car I
> >> remember riding in.
> >>
> > bit different from a Ford Pop :o )
> >
> > http://www.tomspages.freeserve.co.uk/pop/PA140004s400.j...
> >
> > one of the first cars my father owned
>
> now _that_ is a car with character.

they do some awesome stuff to them... google images

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ford+popular&hl=en

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
August 15, 2005 3:18:54 AM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:29:15 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

> bryan wrote:

>> > bit different from a Ford Pop :o )
>> >
>> > http://www.tomspages.freeserve.co.uk/pop/PA140004s400.j...
>> >
>> > one of the first cars my father owned
>>
>> now _that_ is a car with character.
>>
> they do some awesome stuff to them... google images
>
> http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ford+popular&hl=en

superb.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:01:46 PM

towelie schrieb:

> http://www.autoweek.com/files/weekart/2005/0328/mustang...
>
> Much meaner looking than the "deer caught in headlights" googly-eyed
> look of the standard model. I just hope the actual car looks like this.

It lacks the logo, man!

The only Mustang I have is a 1967 GT Model 1:18. I just had to
have it when I saw the model. =:-) Wow, what a car.

CU, Venty
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:01:47 PM

Martin Ebnoether wrote:

> towelie schrieb:
>
> > http://www.autoweek.com/files/weekart/2005/0328/mustang...
> >
> > Much meaner looking than the "deer caught in headlights" googly-eyed
> > look of the standard model. I just hope the actual car looks like this.
>
> It lacks the logo, man!
>
> The only Mustang I have is a 1967 GT Model 1:18. I just had to
> have it when I saw the model. =:-) Wow, what a car.
>
> CU, Venty

That was close as I got too, an even smaller one when I was a lad, but
cost extra as it had steering which worked the opposite way to other
model cars back then, where you had to lean left to go left, etc, this
one you tilted the car in the direction the real thing probably
tilted... even if I've only seen them doing it in movies and, oh, the
Citroen 2CV, which does it at all speeds!

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:18:34 AM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:24:13 +0000 (UTC), Brodieman wrote:

> I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
> (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
> Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car! Is
> this true, or is there better around San Andreas?

I just found the Jester. I prefer this to the Banshee - great sound to the
engine!
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:51:24 AM

favorite car for speed and handling is the Infernus...., but looks I love
the Cheetah..., until they design a car to look like a Porsche 911 Turbo I'm
going with the Ferrari lookalike.

I also have a Uranus that's been "The Fast and the Furious"ed and so far
the paint job's sticking...

"Brodieman" <stephenduffield*delete*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:24:13 +0000 (UTC), Brodieman wrote:
>
> > I've only been playing GTA:SA a few months since it came out on the Xbox
> > (and nowhere near as much as I would like!) but last night I nabbed a
> > Banshee and it seems to me its still the fastest and most drivable car!
Is
> > this true, or is there better around San Andreas?
>
> I just found the Jester. I prefer this to the Banshee - great sound to the
> engine!
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:53:53 PM

In message <Ec-dnaBcTt9GRJreRVn-1g@rogers.com>
"Marc Cormier" <maccor@rogers.com> wrote:

> favorite car for speed and handling is the Infernus...., but looks I love
> the Cheetah..., until they design a car to look like a Porsche 911 Turbo I'm
> going with the Ferrari lookalike.

The Comet looks a little like a Porsche, doesn't handle like one though.

> I also have a Uranus that's been "The Fast and the Furious"ed and so far
> the paint job's sticking...

On the PC version I've just installed the Love Bug mod, some of the car
mods get really strange looking results in a mod shop.

Cheers,
Rob