Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Comparing 6800GT with 9800XT ATI card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 18, 2005 7:37:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Comparing 6800GT with 9800XT ATI card?

Brand name is nvidia itself 6800gt 256 mb and ati is 9800xt what sorta
performance enhancement I am looking for?

Will I see visual enahancement going from ATI9800XT to nvidia 6800GT?

Cheers
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:37:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
news:csi7an$18su$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> Comparing 6800GT with 9800XT ATI card?
>
> Brand name is nvidia itself 6800gt 256 mb and ati is 9800xt what sorta
> performance enhancement I am looking for?
>
> Will I see visual enahancement going from ATI9800XT to nvidia 6800GT?
>
> Cheers

The 9800XT was the top of the old generation of cards, similar to the FX5900
in terms of price and performance. The 6800GT is the top (well second to the
6800ultra but the gt can be clocked to ultra speeds) of the current, new,
generation and is in a completely different league.
I doubt the 9800xt would play doom 3 with all the spangly bits turned up as
high as they would go, at 1280x1024, AA and AF on max without dropping a
frame, but the 6800gt will do it.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/image...
In terms of visual enhancement, in games you will certainly see and
improvement as you will be able to turn on AA and AF to full, and run at
higher resolutions. In terms of video/desktop...well, ATI have always been
better at that, but nvidia are getting better. You could go for an X800 but
in some tests the 6800GT beats the X800XT PE - ATI's best card - and the
6800 Ultra completely trounces it
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:09:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi,

Just my two penny's worth...

Thanks for posting that link Iain, that is a great reference (?)
for comparing cards! Just goes to show what my lowly Ti4200
can (and can't do!). Still can manage to play Doom 3 and HL2 pretty
well but imagine when i get the gt6800!

Best regards,
Paul

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
> "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
> news:csi7an$18su$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
>
>>Comparing 6800GT with 9800XT ATI card?
>>
>>Brand name is nvidia itself 6800gt 256 mb and ati is 9800xt what sorta
>>performance enhancement I am looking for?
>>
>>Will I see visual enahancement going from ATI9800XT to nvidia 6800GT?
>>
>>Cheers
>
>
> The 9800XT was the top of the old generation of cards, similar to the FX5900
> in terms of price and performance. The 6800GT is the top (well second to the
> 6800ultra but the gt can be clocked to ultra speeds) of the current, new,
> generation and is in a completely different league.
> I doubt the 9800xt would play doom 3 with all the spangly bits turned up as
> high as they would go, at 1280x1024, AA and AF on max without dropping a
> frame, but the 6800gt will do it.
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/image...
> In terms of visual enhancement, in games you will certainly see and
> improvement as you will be able to turn on AA and AF to full, and run at
> higher resolutions. In terms of video/desktop...well, ATI have always been
> better at that, but nvidia are getting better. You could go for an X800 but
> in some tests the 6800GT beats the X800XT PE - ATI's best card - and the
> 6800 Ultra completely trounces it
>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
January 19, 2005 6:57:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Okidok and dun forget nvidia driver are better...:p 


"Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1R7Hd.159324$48.57534@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
> news:csi7an$18su$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
>> Comparing 6800GT with 9800XT ATI card?
>>
>> Brand name is nvidia itself 6800gt 256 mb and ati is 9800xt what sorta
>> performance enhancement I am looking for?
>>
>> Will I see visual enahancement going from ATI9800XT to nvidia 6800GT?
>>
>> Cheers
>
> The 9800XT was the top of the old generation of cards, similar to the
> FX5900 in terms of price and performance. The 6800GT is the top (well
> second to the 6800ultra but the gt can be clocked to ultra speeds) of the
> current, new, generation and is in a completely different league.
> I doubt the 9800xt would play doom 3 with all the spangly bits turned up
> as high as they would go, at 1280x1024, AA and AF on max without dropping
> a frame, but the 6800gt will do it.
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/image...
> In terms of visual enhancement, in games you will certainly see and
> improvement as you will be able to turn on AA and AF to full, and run at
> higher resolutions. In terms of video/desktop...well, ATI have always been
> better at that, but nvidia are getting better. You could go for an X800
> but in some tests the 6800GT beats the X800XT PE - ATI's best card - and
> the 6800 Ultra completely trounces it
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:07:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Paul Williams" <paulw@informatics.bangor.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:41ed42c7$0$12189$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi,
>
> Just my two penny's worth...
>
> Thanks for posting that link Iain, that is a great reference (?)
> for comparing cards! Just goes to show what my lowly Ti4200
> can (and can't do!). Still can manage to play Doom 3 and HL2 pretty
> well but imagine when i get the gt6800!

I went from a FX5700LE - effectively a 5200 and it played most things fine.
Its amazing the difference, you dont have to worry about choosing the best
detail levels, just set everything to "max". The frame rates make everything
much more playable too. getting about 67fps on doom 3 with everything up to
max 4xAA etc

>
> Best regards,
> Paul
>
> Iain Dingsdale wrote:
>> "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
>> news:csi7an$18su$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
>>
>>>Comparing 6800GT with 9800XT ATI card?
>>>
>>>Brand name is nvidia itself 6800gt 256 mb and ati is 9800xt what sorta
>>>performance enhancement I am looking for?
>>>
>>>Will I see visual enahancement going from ATI9800XT to nvidia 6800GT?
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>
>>
>> The 9800XT was the top of the old generation of cards, similar to the
>> FX5900 in terms of price and performance. The 6800GT is the top (well
>> second to the 6800ultra but the gt can be clocked to ultra speeds) of the
>> current, new, generation and is in a completely different league.
>> I doubt the 9800xt would play doom 3 with all the spangly bits turned up
>> as high as they would go, at 1280x1024, AA and AF on max without dropping
>> a frame, but the 6800gt will do it.
>> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/image...
>> In terms of visual enhancement, in games you will certainly see and
>> improvement as you will be able to turn on AA and AF to full, and run at
>> higher resolutions. In terms of video/desktop...well, ATI have always
>> been better at that, but nvidia are getting better. You could go for an
>> X800 but in some tests the 6800GT beats the X800XT PE - ATI's best card -
>> and the 6800 Ultra completely trounces it
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
!