6600 GT overkill for an AMD 1900+

Have an AMD 1900+ , 512mB 133mHz ram, a Geforce 3 GPU, & the mb's AGP
slot is 4X . I want to replace the graphics card.. Is a 6600 GT too much
for this system? If so, what should I consider? I suppose I could drop
in an AMD 2600+ CPU if that would make any difference.

David M wrote:
> Have an AMD 1900+ , 512mB 133mHz ram, a Geforce 3 GPU, & the mb's AGP
> slot is 4X . I want to replace the graphics card.. Is a 6600 GT too much
> for this system? If so, what should I consider? I suppose I could drop
> in an AMD 2600+ CPU if that would make any difference.

Not really if you're like me and consider the whole FX line as
"non-existant", in which case an upgrade from a GF3 to a GF6 is
definitely very sensible.

Technically you're very system throughput constrained (with SDRAM and an
older MB). The CPU would make a good difference, but still not really
fill the GF6, so you'll have lots of room to grow into with the 6600.

I'd say you'll need at least a Athlon 64 3400+ and a 1GB NF4 based
system before you'd notice the difference between such high end cards
(like a 6800 and 6600).

> Have an AMD 1900+ , 512mB 133mHz ram, a Geforce 3 GPU, & the mb's AGP
>slot is 4X . I want to replace the graphics card.. Is a 6600 GT too much
>for this system? If so, what should I consider? I suppose I could drop
>in an AMD 2600+ CPU if that would make any difference.

Get it anyway, and if you need more CPU power upgrade the CPU then. No matter
what it will still be a big step up from a Geforce 3.

alex

deimos wrote:

> David M wrote:
>
>> Have an AMD 1900+ , 512mB 133mHz ram, a Geforce 3 GPU, & the mb's AGP
>> slot is 4X . I want to replace the graphics card.. Is a 6600 GT too much
>> for this system? If so, what should I consider? I suppose I could drop
>> in an AMD 2600+ CPU if that would make any difference.
>>

> Not really if you're like me and consider the whole FX line as
> "non-existant", in which case an upgrade from a GF3 to a GF6 is
> definitely very sensible.
>
> Technically you're very system throughput constrained (with SDRAM and an
> older MB). The CPU would make a good difference, but still not really
> fill the GF6, so you'll have lots of room to grow into with the 6600.
>
> I'd say you'll need at least a Athlon 64 3400+ and a 1GB NF4 based
> system before you'd notice the difference between such high end cards
> (like a 6800 and 6600).

Sorry but I wonder what is NF4?? Thanks.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"Alex" <alexchh@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Sorry but I wonder what is NF4?? Thanks.

Nforce 4. It's a new type motherboard which supports Athlon64 cpu and PCI-E
for video.

DaveL

"Alex" <alexchh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> deimos wrote:
>
>> David M wrote:
>>
>>> Have an AMD 1900+ , 512mB 133mHz ram, a Geforce 3 GPU, & the mb's AGP
>>> slot is 4X . I want to replace the graphics card.. Is a 6600 GT too much
>>> for this system? If so, what should I consider? I suppose I could drop
>>> in an AMD 2600+ CPU if that would make any difference.
>>>

>> Not really if you're like me and consider the whole FX line as
>> "non-existant", in which case an upgrade from a GF3 to a GF6 is
>> definitely very sensible.
>>
>> Technically you're very system throughput constrained (with SDRAM and an
>> older MB). The CPU would make a good difference, but still not really
>> fill the GF6, so you'll have lots of room to grow into with the 6600.
>>
>> I'd say you'll need at least a Athlon 64 3400+ and a 1GB NF4 based system
>> before you'd notice the difference between such high end cards (like a
>> 6800 and 6600).
>
> Sorry but I wonder what is NF4?? Thanks.

nForce 4 - nVidia's latest motherboard chipset.

Aint the latest the NForce 5 ?

"RaceFace" <nospam@myplace.com> wrote in message

> "Alex" <alexchh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> deimos wrote:

>>> Not really if you're like me and consider the whole FX line as
>>> "non-existant", in which case an upgrade from a GF3 to a GF6 is
>>> definitely very sensible.
>>>
>>> Technically you're very system throughput constrained (with SDRAM and an
>>> older MB). The CPU would make a good difference, but still not really
>>> fill the GF6, so you'll have lots of room to grow into with the 6600.
>>>
>>> I'd say you'll need at least a Athlon 64 3400+ and a 1GB NF4 based
>>> system before you'd notice the difference between such high end cards
>>> (like a 6800 and 6600).
>>
>> Sorry but I wonder what is NF4?? Thanks.
>
> nForce 4 - nVidia's latest motherboard chipset.

No better than nforce 3, unless you think pci-e is important.

Nicholas Buenk wrote:
> "RaceFace" <nospam@myplace.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Alex" <alexchh@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Sorry but I wonder what is NF4?? Thanks.
>>
>>nForce 4 - nVidia's latest motherboard chipset.
>

> No better than nforce 3, unless you think pci-e is important.

Which I do! :) PCI-E is looking to be a really good step up though.
It's apparently cheaper to manufacture and has way more total bus
bandwidth. The PCI legacy bus is like stringing together parallel super
computers with serial cables and a null modem connection, very fast
componenets limited by their ability to process each other's data quickly.

David, let me know if you get a new CPU. I just bought a MSI FX5900XT, and
managed to overclock it quite a bit. It's up to 504 GPU/740 Mem stable.
Very impressed. I swapped this card from my old Geforce III as well,
(non-ti, the original) and noticed a huge difference. I also have 512 ram
and an AMD 1900+. My benches in Quake III Arena with all setting on max at
1600X1200 are 163-165 on demo "four". Not bad. (this is with no
anti-aliasing) I also noticed that all resolutions have about the same
score, so I know that for this game at least, the CPU is nmow the
bottleneck, no longer the video card. ( i have the Asus A7V333 mobo, (first
version). I think the fastest chip I can put in there is the AMD 2800+ XP.

I'm having a heck of a time finding any AMD XP CPUs, please tell me if you
find any.

Cheers!

"David M" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Have an AMD 1900+ , 512mB 133mHz ram, a Geforce 3 GPU, & the mb's AGP
> slot is 4X . I want to replace the graphics card.. Is a 6600 GT too much
> for this system? If so, what should I consider? I suppose I could drop
> in an AMD 2600+ CPU if that would make any difference.

TRENDING THREADS