Bug setting color settings for games profiles in 66.93 dri..

In the 66.93 drivers you can setup the game profiles to connect with a
predefined color profile (in addition to other image/quality settings)

And this works great - UNTIL you reboot the PC :-/

Next time you boot and launch a game all game settings are applied
(like AA, VSYNC etc) BUT the color profile IS NOT applied :-(

If you then go into the profile setup, select the game profile and
just click "Apply", then restart the game, THEN the color profile is
applied as it should (but next time you reboot it's not applied again)

Further on, if you have several games profiles, you need to click
"Apply" on all of them to make them use the color profile :-)

Can someone at Nvidia check this? The possibility to apply color
profiles is new in 66.93, but it's a great feature, so it's sad that
is doesn't work. Or is there a fix (something I can run at boottime to
"load" all the color profile data without having to do it manually)?

PS! Anyone know how to get this feedback to the right Nvidia persons?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Lars-Erik Østerud skrev:

    Just found another bug in 66.93, the brightness for "Overlay/VMR"
    (like video playback inside Media Player) is not restored at boot
    either (it's not restored until you open the control panel and select
    the "Color correction" panel). Just like the games profiles :-(

    But: The mail (desktop) color settings ARE restored at boot)
    (maybe they didn't check if the other settings worked, or :-)

    > In the 66.93 drivers you can setup the game profiles to connect with a
    > predefined color profile (in addition to other image/quality settings)
    >
    > And this works great - UNTIL you reboot the PC :-/
    >
    > Next time you boot and launch a game all game settings are applied
    > (like AA, VSYNC etc) BUT the color profile IS NOT applied :-(
    >
    > If you then go into the profile setup, select the game profile and
    > just click "Apply", then restart the game, THEN the color profile is
    > applied as it should (but next time you reboot it's not applied again)
    >
    > Further on, if you have several games profiles, you need to click
    > "Apply" on all of them to make them use the color profile :-)
    >
    > Can someone at Nvidia check this? The possibility to apply color
    > profiles is new in 66.93, but it's a great feature, so it's sad that
    > is doesn't work. Or is there a fix (something I can run at boottime to
    > "load" all the color profile data without having to do it manually)?
    >
    > PS! Anyone know how to get this feedback to the right Nvidia persons?

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    The Overlay/VMR settings work fine for me with the 66.93's and a 6600GT
    PCI-E.
    They stay where they should, even after a reboot.
    I'm using XP Sp2 and Asus A8n-SLI if that helps.

    edde skrev:

    > The Overlay/VMR settings work fine for me with the 66.93's and a 6600GT
    > PCI-E.
    > They stay where they should, even after a reboot.
    > I'm using XP Sp2 and Asus A8n-SLI if that helps.

    How do you make it persist. Mine is restored as soon as I enter the
    Nvidia control panel. Not before. Used to work OK with earlier
    drivers. Have you testet the games color profiles?

    THis couldn't be tied to the type of card anyway?

    > "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > > Lars-Erik Østerud skrev:
    > >
    > > Just found another bug in 66.93, the brightness for "Overlay/VMR"
    > > (like video playback inside Media Player) is not restored at boot
    > > either (it's not restored until you open the control panel and select
    > > the "Color correction" panel). Just like the games profiles :-(
    > >
    > > But: The mail (desktop) color settings ARE restored at boot)
    > > (maybe they didn't check if the other settings worked, or :-)
    > >
    > >> In the 66.93 drivers you can setup the game profiles to connect with a
    > >> predefined color profile (in addition to other image/quality settings)
    > >>
    > >> And this works great - UNTIL you reboot the PC :-/
    > >>
    > >> Next time you boot and launch a game all game settings are applied
    > >> (like AA, VSYNC etc) BUT the color profile IS NOT applied :-(
    > >>
    > >> If you then go into the profile setup, select the game profile and
    > >> just click "Apply", then restart the game, THEN the color profile is
    > >> applied as it should (but next time you reboot it's not applied again)
    > >>
    > >> Further on, if you have several games profiles, you need to click
    > >> "Apply" on all of them to make them use the color profile :-)
    > >>
    > >> Can someone at Nvidia check this? The possibility to apply color
    > >> profiles is new in 66.93, but it's a great feature, so it's sad that
    > >> is doesn't work. Or is there a fix (something I can run at boottime to
    > >> "load" all the color profile data without having to do it manually)?
    > >>
    > >> PS! Anyone know how to get this feedback to the right Nvidia persons?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    I'm not sure. I just set the overlay to what I like (160 brightness, 105
    contrast), and it always stays that way, even after a reboot. I have a fresh
    install of XP, and the 66.93's are the only driver I've used on this system.
    Perhaps you guys have had older drivers and installed over them which may
    have caused the problem. I can't say for sure, but just guessing.

    > edde skrev:
    >
    >> The Overlay/VMR settings work fine for me with the 66.93's and a 6600GT
    >> PCI-E.
    >> They stay where they should, even after a reboot.
    >> I'm using XP Sp2 and Asus A8n-SLI if that helps.
    >
    > How do you make it persist. Mine is restored as soon as I enter the
    > Nvidia control panel. Not before. Used to work OK with earlier
    > drivers. Have you testet the games color profiles?
    >
    > THis couldn't be tied to the type of card anyway?
    >
    >> "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    >> > Lars-Erik Østerud skrev:
    >> >
    >> > Just found another bug in 66.93, the brightness for "Overlay/VMR"
    >> > (like video playback inside Media Player) is not restored at boot
    >> > either (it's not restored until you open the control panel and select
    >> > the "Color correction" panel). Just like the games profiles :-(
    >> >
    >> > But: The mail (desktop) color settings ARE restored at boot)
    >> > (maybe they didn't check if the other settings worked, or :-)

    >> > --
    >> > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    >> > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
    >>

    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    I should also add, I have the Nvidia Display Driver service disabled. It's
    well know that it can cause problems with all sorts of things, and doesnt
    really offer any benefit. Have you tried disabling it?
    (control panel>admin tools>services)

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > edde skrev:
    >
    >> The Overlay/VMR settings work fine for me with the 66.93's and a 6600GT
    >> PCI-E.
    >> They stay where they should, even after a reboot.
    >> I'm using XP Sp2 and Asus A8n-SLI if that helps.
    >
    > How do you make it persist. Mine is restored as soon as I enter the
    > Nvidia control panel. Not before. Used to work OK with earlier
    > drivers. Have you testet the games color profiles?
    >
    > THis couldn't be tied to the type of card anyway?
    >
    >> "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    >> > Lars-Erik Østerud skrev:
    >> >
    >> > Just found another bug in 66.93, the brightness for "Overlay/VMR"
    >> > (like video playback inside Media Player) is not restored at boot
    >> > either (it's not restored until you open the control panel and select
    >> > the "Color correction" panel). Just like the games profiles :-(
    >> >
    >> > But: The mail (desktop) color settings ARE restored at boot)
    >> > (maybe they didn't check if the other settings worked, or :-)

    >> > --
    >> > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    >> > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
    >>

    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    >I should also add, I have the Nvidia Display Driver service disabled. It's
    >well know that it can cause problems with all sorts of things, and doesnt
    >really offer any benefit. Have you tried disabling it?
    > (control panel>admin tools>services)

    What exactly does it do?

    edde skrev:

    > I'm not sure. I just set the overlay to what I like (160 brightness, 105
    > contrast), and it always stays that way, even after a reboot. I have a fresh
    > install of XP, and the 66.93's are the only driver I've used on this system.

    The settings are right in the control panel here too, they are just
    not applied to the overlay video windows until I open the control
    panel (ig I play a video before opening the panel it is to dark).

    > Perhaps you guys have had older drivers and installed over them which may
    > have caused the problem. I can't say for sure, but just guessing.

    I have cleaned up, both automaticly, and manually several times :-(

    --

    edde skrev:

    > I should also add, I have the Nvidia Display Driver service disabled. It's
    > well know that it can cause problems with all sorts of things, and doesnt

    Tried both on and off. Tried to find if there were any switches to the
    autostart programs to load game color settings and overlay settings
    too, but this is not documented anywere :-(

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    How bizarre.
    Have you tried any of the newer "beta" drivers?

    Dave Zass skrev:

    > What exactly does it do?

    For once it restores the auto-start programs :-)

    --

    edde skrev:

    > How bizarre.
    > Have you tried any of the newer "beta" drivers?

    Nope, see most of them are for Nvidia 6xxx series cards anyway
    (I have a 4200 series card). I'm thinking about going back to 45.xx
    series drivers. There the overlay brightness was restored, and the
    other settings can be set from PowerStrip (both color and AA/VSYNC
    etc). Still have to use PowerStrip with the 66.93 anyway (because the
    overlay brightness don't work (PowerStrip can't set that).. Well..

    To bad Nvidia introduces VERY GOOD new settings that DON'T WORK :-(

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > edde skrev:
    >
    >> How bizarre.
    >> Have you tried any of the newer "beta" drivers?
    >
    > Nope, see most of them are for Nvidia 6xxx series cards anyway
    > (I have a 4200 series card). I'm thinking about going back to 45.xx
    > series drivers. There the overlay brightness was restored, and the
    > other settings can be set from PowerStrip (both color and AA/VSYNC
    > etc). Still have to use PowerStrip with the 66.93 anyway (because the
    > overlay brightness don't work (PowerStrip can't set that).. Well..
    >
    > To bad Nvidia introduces VERY GOOD new settings that DON'T WORK :-(

    Sounds like these drivers dont like the older cards since these settings
    work fine with my 6600gt pci-e
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Hmmm... Have tested some more drivers... Status so far...

    44.03 - Overlay color settings are restored at boot
    45.23 - Overlay color settings are restored at boot
    61.77 - Overlay color settings are NOT restored at boot
    66.93 - Overlay color settings are NOT restored at boot

    So this problem did not come with 66.93, but it got worse there as the
    color profiles for the games profiles (new feature) are not loaded
    either, but that might be the same bug (all are color stuff :-)

    The main desktop color settings are restored however :-/

    Strenge no one else has noticed this, can anyone help test?
    Could this be a problem not affecting newer card (have a 4200)?

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    edde skrev:

    > Sounds like these drivers dont like the older cards since these settings
    > work fine with my 6600gt pci-e

    Then they should fix that, or stop saying they support all cards :-)
    (should be hard to fix, at least the overlay part worked in 45.xx)

    I'm not very keen on buying Nvidia next time, to much driver trouble
    all the way. But then again, could be same trouble with other cards.

    But as a programmer/tech support guy my self, I'm a bit disappointed
    than Nvidia don't have a feedback point. Then I could report this
    somewhere, and get a feedback on what is the problem, and if it's
    going to be fixed (or how to get passed it). Even MicroSoft have bug
    feedback e-mail adresses. 99.9% of developers do have some system.

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Lars-Erik Østerud skrev:

    > Then they should fix that, or stop saying they support all cards :-)
    > (should be hard to fix, at least the overlay part worked in 45.xx)

    Even more testing. Restoring overlay brightness work up to 56.72
    61.77 is the first official driver where I get the problem with
    overlay

    So the 56.xx series has overlay setting that works, and games profiles
    To bad the 56.xx series is the slowest driver release of them all :-(

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Hmmm... Have tested some more drivers... Status so far...
    >
    > 44.03 - Overlay color settings are restored at boot
    > 45.23 - Overlay color settings are restored at boot
    > 61.77 - Overlay color settings are NOT restored at boot
    > 66.93 - Overlay color settings are NOT restored at boot
    >
    > So this problem did not come with 66.93, but it got worse there as the
    > color profiles for the games profiles (new feature) are not loaded
    > either, but that might be the same bug (all are color stuff :-)
    >
    > The main desktop color settings are restored however :-/
    >
    > Strenge no one else has noticed this, can anyone help test?
    > Could this be a problem not affecting newer card (have a 4200)?

    As I mentioned, I dont have this probem. Settings are restored properly
    using the 66.93 and 6600GT PCI-e card.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    edde skrev:

    > As I mentioned, I dont have this probem. Settings are restored properly
    > using the 66.93 and 6600GT PCI-e card.

    I have tested the 56.xx series drivers now, and there overlay
    brightness is restored too. Seems to be a problem from the 61.77
    series and up. Maybe they don't test this on the 4x.00 cards?

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I have mentioned this problem a number of times allong with a few
    other overlay issues and it seems to fall on deaf ears or you get lots
    of others saying it works fine with my xxxx card, which of cause is
    not the same card I / you are having problems with ;)

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:30:37 +0100, Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:

    >Hmmm... Have tested some more drivers... Status so far...
    >
    >44.03 - Overlay color settings are restored at boot
    >45.23 - Overlay color settings are restored at boot
    >61.77 - Overlay color settings are NOT restored at boot
    >66.93 - Overlay color settings are NOT restored at boot
    >
    >So this problem did not come with 66.93, but it got worse there as the
    >color profiles for the games profiles (new feature) are not loaded
    >either, but that might be the same bug (all are color stuff :-)
    >
    >The main desktop color settings are restored however :-/
    >
    >Strenge no one else has noticed this, can anyone help test?
    >Could this be a problem not affecting newer card (have a 4200)?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > edde skrev:
    >
    >> As I mentioned, I dont have this probem. Settings are restored properly
    >> using the 66.93 and 6600GT PCI-e card.
    >
    > I have tested the 56.xx series drivers now, and there overlay
    > brightness is restored too. Seems to be a problem from the 61.77
    > series and up. Maybe they don't test this on the 4x.00 cards?
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    I have a problem with the moving characters on games and some screensavers
    not being visible, the plus screensavers and golf games.
    any one else noted this?
    Winxp with sp2
    athlon 1.4mhz
    512 ram
    tnt2 vid card
    nvidia drivers 66.93
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    ">>
    >> --
    >>>
    > I have a problem with the moving characters on games and some screensavers
    > not being visible, ie. the plus screensavers and golf games.
    > any one else noted this?
    any answers appreciated

    Winxp with sp2
    > athlon 1.4mhz