Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nvidia support or bug report - Where to send?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:16:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Grrr.. Here I try to report a bug in the 66.93 driver. But there is
no e-mail link for this on Nvidia's homepage (only for bug-reports on
Linux and Free-bsd drivers). So I try using the help forum.

What do I get. A reply that Nvidia offers no support on hardware, and
that I should contact my manufactorer. Don't they read the message.

I try to HELP them make even better drivers by reporting a bug.
All other companies usually are happy for such reports :-(

So anyone: Where do I report Nvidia display driver bugs too?

Surly some developer made the 66.93 driver and would like to know?
(BTW: I can't be the only one experiencing this bug, can I :-)

See message: Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:16:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> Grrr.. Here I try to report a bug in the 66.93 driver. But there is
> no e-mail link for this on Nvidia's homepage (only for bug-reports on
> Linux and Free-bsd drivers). So I try using the help forum.
>
> What do I get. A reply that Nvidia offers no support on hardware, and
> that I should contact my manufactorer. Don't they read the message.
>
> I try to HELP them make even better drivers by reporting a bug.
> All other companies usually are happy for such reports :-(
>
> So anyone: Where do I report Nvidia display driver bugs too?
>
> Surly some developer made the 66.93 driver and would like to know?
> (BTW: I can't be the only one experiencing this bug, can I :-)
>
> See message: Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>
>

NVIDIA makes a reference driver and a reference chip design only. Until
very recently they never even got their hands dirty with chip fab processes.

Technically, ALL support must be handled through WHO_YOU_BOUGHT_THE_CARD
_FROM. This may be a manufacturer like Leadtek, eVGA, BFG, Apollo,
Gainward, PNY, etc. Or maybe an OEM, like Gateway, Dell, or whatever.
Those companies are responsible for taking a reference driver, adding or
changing things specific to their product and releasing it.

Now it just happens to be that NVIDIA does a REALLY damn good reference
driver. So good that most OEM's and IHV's just ship the NVIDIA driver
unmodified. This can be confusing for people who buy an ATI card or
another brand and communicate directly with the company (which also
manufactures the cards too).

Your best bet is to email your manufacturer and hopefully they are part
of NVIDIA's developer relations program and will pass it on. Or go
through the community method and post it on the nZone forums (NVIDIA's
own forum, http://forums.nvidia.com/). Or here or any other popular
NVIDIA related sites (NVNews, Guru3D, Beyond3D, etc).
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:04:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

deimos skrev:

> NVIDIA makes a reference driver and a reference chip design only. Until
> very recently they never even got their hands dirty with chip fab processes.

What about the drivers they have for download on www.nvidia.com
Are they the referance drivers? How do I report bugs in those?

> unmodified. This can be confusing for people who buy an ATI card or
> another brand and communicate directly with the company (which also
> manufactures the cards too).

But this clearly have nothing to do with the card. It's something that
does not work in the reference driver that Nvidia has compiled.

What software developing company (even if it's just drivers) would not
have feedback when someone finds a bug in their drivers (and they DO
have such feedback e-mail for their Linux and Free-BSD ref drivers)?

> through the community method and post it on the nZone forums (NVIDIA's
> own forum, http://forums.nvidia.com/). Or here or any other popular

Good idea (aren't there anyone from Nvidia reading this group either?)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Related resources
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:08:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:16:08 +0100, Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:

>Grrr.. Here I try to report a bug in the 66.93 driver. But there is
>no e-mail link for this on Nvidia's homepage (only for bug-reports on
>Linux and Free-bsd drivers). So I try using the help forum.
>
>What do I get. A reply that Nvidia offers no support on hardware, and
>that I should contact my manufactorer. Don't they read the message.
>
>I try to HELP them make even better drivers by reporting a bug.
>All other companies usually are happy for such reports :-(
>
>So anyone: Where do I report Nvidia display driver bugs too?
>
>Surly some developer made the 66.93 driver and would like to know?
>(BTW: I can't be the only one experiencing this bug, can I :-)
>
>See message: Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>
>
>--
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!


and the bug is........... ??? Don't be shy......

Please also give all system details.

Maybe somebody here has already experienced it and can give
you some useful feedback.

John Lewis
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:44:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> Technically, ALL support must be handled through
> WHO_YOU_BOUGHT_THE_CARD _FROM. This may be a manufacturer like
> Leadtek, eVGA, BFG, Apollo, Gainward, PNY, etc. Or maybe an OEM, like

I tried that before and it was a painful experience. The techs had me
jumping through hoops that were obviously not going to resolve the bugs in
the drivers. In the end, I found my own work arounds and the bugs were
fixed after many, many driver releases.

There are some very technical people out there that could assist NVidia
with their driver development if they'd only listen.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:30:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

John Lewis skrev:

> and the bug is........... ??? Don't be shy......

Allready posted in Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>
"Bug setting color settings for games profiles in 66.93 drivers?"
(if you can't retrive the message I could post it once more :-)

But I got no respons there, and asked about the Nivida contact info
since such a "feature" (or bug) would be somthing they must fix (no
matter what they say, they are the one making the Nvidia drivers).

> Please also give all system details.

Easy, they are in my signature :-)

> Maybe somebody here has already experienced it and can give
> you some useful feedback.

Have posted in the Nvidia forum as well now...

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 7:08:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Did you go through the release notes and check to see if your problem is one of the issues still
open on new driver? Maybe the problem that your having is listed there to be corrected in future
release.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message news:YIEHd.1812$VR2.1729@amstwist00...
> John Lewis skrev:
>
>> and the bug is........... ??? Don't be shy......
>
> Allready posted in Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>
> "Bug setting color settings for games profiles in 66.93 drivers?"
> (if you can't retrive the message I could post it once more :-)
>
> But I got no respons there, and asked about the Nivida contact info
> since such a "feature" (or bug) would be somthing they must fix (no
> matter what they say, they are the one making the Nvidia drivers).
>
>> Please also give all system details.
>
> Easy, they are in my signature :-)
>
>> Maybe somebody here has already experienced it and can give
>> you some useful feedback.
>
> Have posted in the Nvidia forum as well now...
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:14:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

David Vair skrev:

> Did you go through the release notes and check to see if your problem is one of the issues still
> open on new driver? Maybe the problem that your having is listed there to be corrected in future
> release.

Didn't find anything about it. I could have been easily overseen as it
does work when you define the profiles (I thought it worked too), it's
just after a reboot that the color profiles is not applied (and it's
possible they did not check that). But it's still strange that no one
else use this funtion (ok, color profiles was new in this release).

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:05:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> deimos skrev:
>
>
>>NVIDIA makes a reference driver and a reference chip design only. Until
>>very recently they never even got their hands dirty with chip fab processes.
>
>
> What about the drivers they have for download on www.nvidia.com
> Are they the referance drivers? How do I report bugs in those?
>

Yes. Those are reference drivers. But they have become a "de-facto"
standard in the community and thus gained marketing names like
"Detonator" and "Forceware". NVIDIA was really the first company to
earn the reputation of having reference drivers that were almost ALWAYS
better than OEM revisions. This has been the case since roughly Riva TNT.

Since most manufacturer based drivers are almost EXACTLY the same as the
reference (and often just rebranded reference sets taken from the
developer site releases, like 71.40, etc), you should report it to them
first, if only because they are in the developer relations program.

Also report it to community forum sites.

>
>>unmodified. This can be confusing for people who buy an ATI card or
>>another brand and communicate directly with the company (which also
>>manufactures the cards too).
>
>
> But this clearly have nothing to do with the card. It's something that
> does not work in the reference driver that Nvidia has compiled.
>
> What software developing company (even if it's just drivers) would not
> have feedback when someone finds a bug in their drivers (and they DO
> have such feedback e-mail for their Linux and Free-BSD ref drivers)?
>

You see the problem is that NVIDIA is a "chip company" and not so much a
software developer. They sell chip designs. But they have a reference
for their IHV's to work from (companies who buy chips from them and
implement their own grahpics cards). It just happens to be that for
quality control purposes, the reference design is about the best. This
includes its driver too.

>
>>through the community method and post it on the nZone forums (NVIDIA's
>>own forum, http://forums.nvidia.com/). Or here or any other popular
>
>
> Good idea (aren't there anyone from Nvidia reading this group either?)
>

It's been my experience that NVIDIA employees do not frequent this NG
with replies or information regarding bugs. I have however found almost
direct developer communication is sites like Beyond3D's forum. It's not
uncommon to talk with people who actually design and build this stuff
for a living and do know what they're talking about.

Also, NVNews does seem to be effective. I've seen quick driver releases
that fix bugs first mentioned in their driver report threads (usually
stickied) first.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:51:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

deimos skrev:

> developer site releases, like 71.40, etc), you should report it to them
> first, if only because they are in the developer relations program.

My card manufavturer is Asus, and thet have heavily tweaked drivers,
so I'm not sure if they report it (I reported a bug in the Asus
drivers that was not in the same reference drivers, and they didn't do
anything about that :-)
>
> Also report it to community forum sites.

Done, but few read it, no one replied to it :-(

> You see the problem is that NVIDIA is a "chip company" and not so much a
> software developer. They sell chip designs. But they have a reference
> for their IHV's to work from (companies who buy chips from them and
> implement their own grahpics cards). It just happens to be that for
> quality control purposes, the reference design is about the best. This
> includes its driver too.

The drivers are good, and the new funtionally to include color
profiles in the game profiles (to set custom colors for games) is
great. Too bad it does not work (something is not loaded at boot, it
works the first time you set it, but not the next time you boot :-)

> It's been my experience that NVIDIA employees do not frequent this NG
> with replies or information regarding bugs. I have however found almost
> direct developer communication is sites like Beyond3D's forum. It's not

Do you have an URL ?

> Also, NVNews does seem to be effective. I've seen quick driver releases
> that fix bugs first mentioned in their driver report threads (usually

URL ?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:18:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> deimos skrev:
>
>
>>developer site releases, like 71.40, etc), you should report it to them
>>first, if only because they are in the developer relations program.
>
>
> My card manufavturer is Asus, and thet have heavily tweaked drivers,
> so I'm not sure if they report it (I reported a bug in the Asus
> drivers that was not in the same reference drivers, and they didn't do
> anything about that :-)
>
>>Also report it to community forum sites.
>
>
> Done, but few read it, no one replied to it :-(
>
>
>>You see the problem is that NVIDIA is a "chip company" and not so much a
>>software developer. They sell chip designs. But they have a reference
>>for their IHV's to work from (companies who buy chips from them and
>>implement their own grahpics cards). It just happens to be that for
>>quality control purposes, the reference design is about the best. This
>>includes its driver too.
>
>
> The drivers are good, and the new funtionally to include color
> profiles in the game profiles (to set custom colors for games) is
> great. Too bad it does not work (something is not loaded at boot, it
> works the first time you set it, but not the next time you boot :-)
>
>
>>It's been my experience that NVIDIA employees do not frequent this NG
>>with replies or information regarding bugs. I have however found almost
>>direct developer communication is sites like Beyond3D's forum. It's not
>
>
> Do you have an URL ?
>
>
>>Also, NVNews does seem to be effective. I've seen quick driver releases
>>that fix bugs first mentioned in their driver report threads (usually
>
>
> URL ?
>

www.beyond3d.com
www.nvnews.net
!