Nvidia support or bug report - Where to send?

Grrr.. Here I try to report a bug in the 66.93 driver. But there is
no e-mail link for this on Nvidia's homepage (only for bug-reports on
Linux and Free-bsd drivers). So I try using the help forum.

What do I get. A reply that Nvidia offers no support on hardware, and
that I should contact my manufactorer. Don't they read the message.

I try to HELP them make even better drivers by reporting a bug.
All other companies usually are happy for such reports :-(

So anyone: Where do I report Nvidia display driver bugs too?

Surly some developer made the 66.93 driver and would like to know?
(BTW: I can't be the only one experiencing this bug, can I :-)

See message: Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    > Grrr.. Here I try to report a bug in the 66.93 driver. But there is
    > no e-mail link for this on Nvidia's homepage (only for bug-reports on
    > Linux and Free-bsd drivers). So I try using the help forum.
    >
    > What do I get. A reply that Nvidia offers no support on hardware, and
    > that I should contact my manufactorer. Don't they read the message.
    >
    > I try to HELP them make even better drivers by reporting a bug.
    > All other companies usually are happy for such reports :-(
    >
    > So anyone: Where do I report Nvidia display driver bugs too?
    >
    > Surly some developer made the 66.93 driver and would like to know?
    > (BTW: I can't be the only one experiencing this bug, can I :-)
    >
    > See message: Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>

    NVIDIA makes a reference driver and a reference chip design only. Until
    very recently they never even got their hands dirty with chip fab processes.

    Technically, ALL support must be handled through WHO_YOU_BOUGHT_THE_CARD
    _FROM. This may be a manufacturer like Leadtek, eVGA, BFG, Apollo,
    Gainward, PNY, etc. Or maybe an OEM, like Gateway, Dell, or whatever.
    Those companies are responsible for taking a reference driver, adding or
    changing things specific to their product and releasing it.

    Now it just happens to be that NVIDIA does a REALLY damn good reference
    driver. So good that most OEM's and IHV's just ship the NVIDIA driver
    unmodified. This can be confusing for people who buy an ATI card or
    another brand and communicate directly with the company (which also
    manufactures the cards too).

    Your best bet is to email your manufacturer and hopefully they are part
    of NVIDIA's developer relations program and will pass it on. Or go
    through the community method and post it on the nZone forums (NVIDIA's
    own forum, http://forums.nvidia.com/). Or here or any other popular
    NVIDIA related sites (NVNews, Guru3D, Beyond3D, etc).

    deimos skrev:

    > NVIDIA makes a reference driver and a reference chip design only. Until
    > very recently they never even got their hands dirty with chip fab processes.

    What about the drivers they have for download on www.nvidia.com
    Are they the referance drivers? How do I report bugs in those?

    > unmodified. This can be confusing for people who buy an ATI card or
    > another brand and communicate directly with the company (which also
    > manufactures the cards too).

    But this clearly have nothing to do with the card. It's something that
    does not work in the reference driver that Nvidia has compiled.

    What software developing company (even if it's just drivers) would not
    have feedback when someone finds a bug in their drivers (and they DO
    have such feedback e-mail for their Linux and Free-BSD ref drivers)?

    > through the community method and post it on the nZone forums (NVIDIA's
    > own forum, http://forums.nvidia.com/). Or here or any other popular

    Good idea (aren't there anyone from Nvidia reading this group either?)

    --

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:16:08 +0100, Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:

    >Grrr.. Here I try to report a bug in the 66.93 driver. But there is
    >no e-mail link for this on Nvidia's homepage (only for bug-reports on
    >Linux and Free-bsd drivers). So I try using the help forum.
    >
    >What do I get. A reply that Nvidia offers no support on hardware, and
    >that I should contact my manufactorer. Don't they read the message.
    >
    >I try to HELP them make even better drivers by reporting a bug.
    >All other companies usually are happy for such reports :-(
    >
    >So anyone: Where do I report Nvidia display driver bugs too?
    >
    >Surly some developer made the 66.93 driver and would like to know?
    >(BTW: I can't be the only one experiencing this bug, can I :-)
    >
    >See message: Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>
    >
    >--
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    and the bug is........... ??? Don't be shy......

    Please also give all system details.

    Maybe somebody here has already experienced it and can give
    you some useful feedback.

    John Lewis

    > Technically, ALL support must be handled through
    > WHO_YOU_BOUGHT_THE_CARD _FROM. This may be a manufacturer like
    > Leadtek, eVGA, BFG, Apollo, Gainward, PNY, etc. Or maybe an OEM, like

    I tried that before and it was a painful experience. The techs had me
    jumping through hoops that were obviously not going to resolve the bugs in
    the drivers. In the end, I found my own work arounds and the bugs were
    fixed after many, many driver releases.

    There are some very technical people out there that could assist NVidia
    with their driver development if they'd only listen.

    John Lewis skrev:

    > and the bug is........... ??? Don't be shy......

    Allready posted in Message-ID: <gIxHd.1772$VR2.1442@amstwist00>
    "Bug setting color settings for games profiles in 66.93 drivers?"
    (if you can't retrive the message I could post it once more :-)

    But I got no respons there, and asked about the Nivida contact info
    since such a "feature" (or bug) would be somthing they must fix (no
    matter what they say, they are the one making the Nvidia drivers).

    > Please also give all system details.

    Easy, they are in my signature :-)

    > Maybe somebody here has already experienced it and can give
    > you some useful feedback.

    Have posted in the Nvidia forum as well now...

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Did you go through the release notes and check to see if your problem is one of the issues still
    open on new driver? Maybe the problem that your having is listed there to be corrected in future
    release.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    David Vair skrev:

    > Did you go through the release notes and check to see if your problem is one of the issues still
    > open on new driver? Maybe the problem that your having is listed there to be corrected in future
    > release.

    Didn't find anything about it. I could have been easily overseen as it
    does work when you define the profiles (I thought it worked too), it's
    just after a reboot that the color profiles is not applied (and it's
    possible they did not check that). But it's still strange that no one
    else use this funtion (ok, color profiles was new in this release).

    --

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    > deimos skrev:
    >

    >>NVIDIA makes a reference driver and a reference chip design only. Until
    >>very recently they never even got their hands dirty with chip fab processes.
    >

    > What about the drivers they have for download on www.nvidia.com
    > Are they the referance drivers? How do I report bugs in those?

    Yes. Those are reference drivers. But they have become a "de-facto"
    standard in the community and thus gained marketing names like
    "Detonator" and "Forceware". NVIDIA was really the first company to
    earn the reputation of having reference drivers that were almost ALWAYS
    better than OEM revisions. This has been the case since roughly Riva TNT.

    Since most manufacturer based drivers are almost EXACTLY the same as the
    reference (and often just rebranded reference sets taken from the
    developer site releases, like 71.40, etc), you should report it to them
    first, if only because they are in the developer relations program.

    Also report it to community forum sites.

    >>unmodified. This can be confusing for people who buy an ATI card or
    >>another brand and communicate directly with the company (which also
    >>manufactures the cards too).
    >

    > But this clearly have nothing to do with the card. It's something that
    > does not work in the reference driver that Nvidia has compiled.
    >
    > What software developing company (even if it's just drivers) would not
    > have feedback when someone finds a bug in their drivers (and they DO
    > have such feedback e-mail for their Linux and Free-BSD ref drivers)?

    You see the problem is that NVIDIA is a "chip company" and not so much a
    software developer. They sell chip designs. But they have a reference
    for their IHV's to work from (companies who buy chips from them and
    implement their own grahpics cards). It just happens to be that for
    quality control purposes, the reference design is about the best. This
    includes its driver too.

    >>through the community method and post it on the nZone forums (NVIDIA's
    >>own forum, http://forums.nvidia.com/). Or here or any other popular
    >

    > Good idea (aren't there anyone from Nvidia reading this group either?)

    It's been my experience that NVIDIA employees do not frequent this NG
    with replies or information regarding bugs. I have however found almost
    direct developer communication is sites like Beyond3D's forum. It's not
    uncommon to talk with people who actually design and build this stuff
    for a living and do know what they're talking about.

    Also, NVNews does seem to be effective. I've seen quick driver releases
    that fix bugs first mentioned in their driver report threads (usually
    stickied) first.

    deimos skrev:

    > developer site releases, like 71.40, etc), you should report it to them
    > first, if only because they are in the developer relations program.

    My card manufavturer is Asus, and thet have heavily tweaked drivers,
    so I'm not sure if they report it (I reported a bug in the Asus
    drivers that was not in the same reference drivers, and they didn't do
    anything about that :-)

    > Also report it to community forum sites.

    Done, but few read it, no one replied to it :-(

    > You see the problem is that NVIDIA is a "chip company" and not so much a
    > software developer. They sell chip designs. But they have a reference
    > for their IHV's to work from (companies who buy chips from them and
    > implement their own grahpics cards). It just happens to be that for
    > quality control purposes, the reference design is about the best. This
    > includes its driver too.

    The drivers are good, and the new funtionally to include color
    profiles in the game profiles (to set custom colors for games) is
    great. Too bad it does not work (something is not loaded at boot, it
    works the first time you set it, but not the next time you boot :-)

    > It's been my experience that NVIDIA employees do not frequent this NG
    > with replies or information regarding bugs. I have however found almost
    > direct developer communication is sites like Beyond3D's forum. It's not

    Do you have an URL ?

    > Also, NVNews does seem to be effective. I've seen quick driver releases
    > that fix bugs first mentioned in their driver report threads (usually

    URL ?

    --

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    > deimos skrev:
    >

    >>developer site releases, like 71.40, etc), you should report it to them
    >>first, if only because they are in the developer relations program.
    >

    > My card manufavturer is Asus, and thet have heavily tweaked drivers,
    > so I'm not sure if they report it (I reported a bug in the Asus
    > drivers that was not in the same reference drivers, and they didn't do
    > anything about that :-)
    >
    >>Also report it to community forum sites.
    >

    > Done, but few read it, no one replied to it :-(
    >

    >>You see the problem is that NVIDIA is a "chip company" and not so much a
    >>software developer. They sell chip designs. But they have a reference
    >>for their IHV's to work from (companies who buy chips from them and
    >>implement their own grahpics cards). It just happens to be that for
    >>quality control purposes, the reference design is about the best. This
    >>includes its driver too.
    >

    > The drivers are good, and the new funtionally to include color
    > profiles in the game profiles (to set custom colors for games) is
    > great. Too bad it does not work (something is not loaded at boot, it
    > works the first time you set it, but not the next time you boot :-)
    >

    >>It's been my experience that NVIDIA employees do not frequent this NG
    >>with replies or information regarding bugs. I have however found almost
    >>direct developer communication is sites like Beyond3D's forum. It's not
    >

    > Do you have an URL ?
    >

    >>Also, NVNews does seem to be effective. I've seen quick driver releases
    >>that fix bugs first mentioned in their driver report threads (usually
    >

    > URL ?

    www.beyond3d.com
    www.nvnews.net

Nvidia Support Bug Graphics