Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dead Gateway Essential 633C

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
May 4, 2005 10:05:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Hello,

need some troubleshooting advice here.

Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
MB is MS-6312 VER:1
64MB SDRAM

Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
because I have no Schematics or test equipment
other than a DMM.

Symptoms:
push power switch amber light comes on.
shouldn't that light be green ???
no video...Video screen blank.
No signs of life from the floppy drive.
No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
stays like that forever.
Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.

+12 volts is +11.82
+5 volts is +5.1

cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.

Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running


might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???

I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
beep code.

I suspect either there is no timing and control
getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
of problem before.

One other thing of interest.
Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.

I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.

In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
to figure out.


lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
what that is for.


geoff
May 5, 2005 4:58:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Hello,

Just found out the power supply looks good.
the main indicator to the problem is that
both the green power light and the amber
light not described in the users manual
is on at the very same time.

Maybe someone can tell me what the amber light represents ??

Both lights on at the very same time would mean something
to me if I could get my hands on the schematics for this
motherboard. Gateway MS-6312 Ver:1.

I am surprised at the lack of responses.
Are there no technical people out there
doing component level troubleshooting ?

Is everything black boxed today which really
lets you learn nothing about anything.

geoff


"Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8ac66$427971b4$4f0155d$5869@DIALUPUSA.NET...
>
> Hello,
>
> need some troubleshooting advice here.
>
> Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
> 64MB SDRAM
>
> Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
> because I have no Schematics or test equipment
> other than a DMM.
>
> Symptoms:
> push power switch amber light comes on.
> shouldn't that light be green ???
> no video...Video screen blank.
> No signs of life from the floppy drive.
> No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
> CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
> stays like that forever.
> Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>
> +12 volts is +11.82
> +5 volts is +5.1
>
> cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>
> Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>
>
> might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>
> I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
> still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
> If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
> beep code.
>
> I suspect either there is no timing and control
> getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
> especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
> of problem before.
>
> One other thing of interest.
> Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
> video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
> times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.
>
> I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>
> In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
> because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
> to figure out.
>
>
> lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
> There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
> and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
> what that is for.
>
>
> geoff
>
>
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

MicroStar motherboards like the MS-6312 have widely achieved a sorry reputation
for poor quality. To be specific, many of them bite the dust due to el cheapo
blown capacitors. The capacitors begin to leak their di-electric content, and
sometimes explode. Open up the chassis and examine the cylindrical capacitors
for either leakage or bulging. Examine the motherboard for foreign substances
on the surface, near the capacitors.

Oh, heck. Just replace the stupid motherboard. Odds are maybe 99-1 that one or
more capacitors have failed... Ben Myers

On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:05:53 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>Hello,
>
>need some troubleshooting advice here.
>
>Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
> 64MB SDRAM
>
>Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
>because I have no Schematics or test equipment
>other than a DMM.
>
>Symptoms:
>push power switch amber light comes on.
>shouldn't that light be green ???
>no video...Video screen blank.
>No signs of life from the floppy drive.
>No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
>CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
>stays like that forever.
>Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>
>+12 volts is +11.82
>+5 volts is +5.1
>
>cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>
>Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>
>
>might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>
>I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
>still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
>If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
>beep code.
>
>I suspect either there is no timing and control
>getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
>especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
>of problem before.
>
>One other thing of interest.
>Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
>video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
>times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.
>
>I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>
>In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
>because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
>to figure out.
>
>
>lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
>There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
>and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
>what that is for.
>
>
>geoff
>
>
Related resources
May 5, 2005 5:18:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

LOL...if I had a oscilloscope and an octopus (curve tracer)
to analyze with I could test in circuit to find any
bad capacitors but i changed out all the bad caps I could find
which were 9 of them and it did not make any difference.
Out of those 9 suspected capacitors only one tested bad it was
only 25% of its rated value.
Replacing the motherboard will be the very last thing I try
because there is also the CPU to worry about.
I can say one thing for sure...Gateway will not get
anymore business from me or mine because of this short
lived product they built and the fact they have so much
darn security they are hard to deal with.
It is obvious to me Gateway is afraid of the General
Public and because of this should not be in business.

Yes I am aware of the bad capacitors...maybe I should try changing out
a few more of them.


geoff


<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:4279739b.4741589@nntp.charter.net...
> MicroStar motherboards like the MS-6312 have widely achieved a sorry reputation
> for poor quality. To be specific, many of them bite the dust due to el cheapo
> blown capacitors. The capacitors begin to leak their di-electric content, and
> sometimes explode. Open up the chassis and examine the cylindrical capacitors
> for either leakage or bulging. Examine the motherboard for foreign substances
> on the surface, near the capacitors.
>
> Oh, heck. Just replace the stupid motherboard. Odds are maybe 99-1 that one or
> more capacitors have failed... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:05:53 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>Hello,
>>
>>need some troubleshooting advice here.
>>
>>Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
>> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
>> 64MB SDRAM
>>
>>Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
>>because I have no Schematics or test equipment
>>other than a DMM.
>>
>>Symptoms:
>>push power switch amber light comes on.
>>shouldn't that light be green ???
>>no video...Video screen blank.
>>No signs of life from the floppy drive.
>>No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
>>CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
>>stays like that forever.
>>Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>>
>>+12 volts is +11.82
>>+5 volts is +5.1
>>
>>cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>>
>>Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>>
>>
>>might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>>
>>I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
>>still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
>>If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
>>beep code.
>>
>>I suspect either there is no timing and control
>>getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
>>especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
>>of problem before.
>>
>>One other thing of interest.
>>Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
>>video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
>>times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.
>>
>>I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>>
>>In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
>>because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
>>to figure out.
>>
>>
>>lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
>>There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
>>and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
>>what that is for.
>>
>>
>>geoff
>>
>>
>
May 5, 2005 5:18:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

LOL...if I had a oscilloscope and an octopus (curve tracer)
to analyze with I could test in circuit to find any
bad capacitors but i changed out all the bad caps I could find
which were 9 of them and it did not make any difference.
Out of those 9 suspected capacitors only one tested bad it was
only 25% of its rated value.
Replacing the motherboard will be the very last thing I try
because there is also the CPU to worry about.
I can say one thing for sure...Gateway will not get
anymore business from me or mine because of this short
lived product they built and the fact they have so much
darn security they are hard to deal with.
It is obvious to me Gateway is afraid of the General
Public and because of this should not be in business.

Yes I am aware of the bad capacitors...maybe I should try changing out
a few more of them.


geoff



<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:4279739b.4741589@nntp.charter.net...
> MicroStar motherboards like the MS-6312 have widely achieved a sorry reputation
> for poor quality. To be specific, many of them bite the dust due to el cheapo
> blown capacitors. The capacitors begin to leak their di-electric content, and
> sometimes explode. Open up the chassis and examine the cylindrical capacitors
> for either leakage or bulging. Examine the motherboard for foreign substances
> on the surface, near the capacitors.
>
> Oh, heck. Just replace the stupid motherboard. Odds are maybe 99-1 that one or
> more capacitors have failed... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:05:53 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>Hello,
>>
>>need some troubleshooting advice here.
>>
>>Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
>> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
>> 64MB SDRAM
>>
>>Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
>>because I have no Schematics or test equipment
>>other than a DMM.
>>
>>Symptoms:
>>push power switch amber light comes on.
>>shouldn't that light be green ???
>>no video...Video screen blank.
>>No signs of life from the floppy drive.
>>No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
>>CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
>>stays like that forever.
>>Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>>
>>+12 volts is +11.82
>>+5 volts is +5.1
>>
>>cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>>
>>Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>>
>>
>>might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>>
>>I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
>>still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
>>If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
>>beep code.
>>
>>I suspect either there is no timing and control
>>getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
>>especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
>>of problem before.
>>
>>One other thing of interest.
>>Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
>>video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
>>times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.
>>
>>I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>>
>>In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
>>because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
>>to figure out.
>>
>>
>>lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
>>There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
>>and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
>>what that is for.
>>
>>
>>geoff
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:43:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

"Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:6fbee$4279d246$4f01596$7390@DIALUPUSA.NET...
> Hello,
>
> Just found out the power supply looks good.
> the main indicator to the problem is that
> both the green power light and the amber
> light not described in the users manual
> is on at the very same time.
>
> Maybe someone can tell me what the amber light represents ??
>
> Both lights on at the very same time would mean something
> to me if I could get my hands on the schematics for this
> motherboard. Gateway MS-6312 Ver:1.
>
> I am surprised at the lack of responses.
> Are there no technical people out there
> doing component level troubleshooting ?
>
> Is everything black boxed today which really
> lets you learn nothing about anything.
>
> geoff
>
>
> "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8ac66$427971b4$4f0155d$5869@DIALUPUSA.NET...
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > need some troubleshooting advice here.
> >
> > Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
> > MB is MS-6312 VER:1
> > 64MB SDRAM
> >
> > Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
> > because I have no Schematics or test equipment
> > other than a DMM.
> >
> > Symptoms:
> > push power switch amber light comes on.
> > shouldn't that light be green ???
> > no video...Video screen blank.
> > No signs of life from the floppy drive.
> > No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
> > CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
> > stays like that forever.
> > Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
> >
> > +12 volts is +11.82
> > +5 volts is +5.1
> >
> > cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
> >
> > Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
> >
> >
> > might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
> >
> > I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
> > still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
> > If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
> > beep code.
> >
> > I suspect either there is no timing and control
> > getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
> > especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
> > of problem before.
> >
> > One other thing of interest.
> > Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
> > video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
> > times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would
not start up.
> >
> > I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
> >
> > In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
> > because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
> > to figure out.
> >
> >
> > lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
> > There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
> > and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
> > what that is for.
> >
> >
> > geoff

Geoff,

Is this your mobo:
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/JABIL/2512267/251...

While Googling, I found many results that mentioned bad caps. Could this be
the problem?

HTH,

Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:46:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

> Is this your mobo:
> http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/JABIL/2512267/251...
>
> While Googling, I found many results that mentioned bad caps. Could this
be
> the problem?
>
> HTH,
>
> Louie
> Chiefland, FL, USA
>


Dang, next time I'll read the whole thread, as I see you've already replaced
bad caps. Sorry.

Louie
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:31:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

On the whole these days, the personal computer industry does not do board level
repair. It is far more cost effective to replace the entire board with either
the same model or one which is physically compatible and uses the same chipsets.
The exceptions are those rare cases where some software is absolutely locked
into a hardware implementation and spare boards are not available. The U.S.
government regularly pees away sums of money on board repairs.

I'll stick by my original recommendation: Replace the board. If the CPU is
also bad, no problem. 633MHz and faster compatible Celeron CPUs are inexpensive
lately.

Gateway is not the only company which had its butt scalded by poor quality
MicroStar motherboards. IBM had a run of problems with MicroStar boards, as did
some others. Good luck getting a schematic for the MS-6312. I do not know of
any motherboard manufacturer which makes board schematics available outside its
own company.

I have been doing repairs, upgrades, and refurbs of personal computers for over
10 years now. I have yet to learn to use an oscilliscope. I don't need to. I
have yet to solder something to a board to fix it. I don't need to. My time is
spent 1000% more effectively by isolating the failed hardware and replacing it.
Or maybe even scrapping the whole box, and selling a replacement. Keep in mind
the very low prices of computers these days. Today's NY Times has a Dell ad for
a 2+GHz Dimension 3000 with 15" flat panel monitor and cheap Dell inkjet printer
for $399 including shipping. At those prices, component level board repairs are
interesting only as intellectual engineering challenges... Ben Myers

On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:58:31 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Just found out the power supply looks good.
>the main indicator to the problem is that
>both the green power light and the amber
>light not described in the users manual
>is on at the very same time.
>
>Maybe someone can tell me what the amber light represents ??
>
>Both lights on at the very same time would mean something
>to me if I could get my hands on the schematics for this
>motherboard. Gateway MS-6312 Ver:1.
>
>I am surprised at the lack of responses.
>Are there no technical people out there
>doing component level troubleshooting ?
>
>Is everything black boxed today which really
>lets you learn nothing about anything.
>
>geoff
>
>
>"Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8ac66$427971b4$4f0155d$5869@DIALUPUSA.NET...
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> need some troubleshooting advice here.
>>
>> Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
>> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
>> 64MB SDRAM
>>
>> Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
>> because I have no Schematics or test equipment
>> other than a DMM.
>>
>> Symptoms:
>> push power switch amber light comes on.
>> shouldn't that light be green ???
>> no video...Video screen blank.
>> No signs of life from the floppy drive.
>> No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
>> CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
>> stays like that forever.
>> Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>>
>> +12 volts is +11.82
>> +5 volts is +5.1
>>
>> cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>>
>> Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>>
>>
>> might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>>
>> I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
>> still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
>> If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
>> beep code.
>>
>> I suspect either there is no timing and control
>> getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
>> especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
>> of problem before.
>>
>> One other thing of interest.
>> Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
>> video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
>> times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.
>>
>> I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>>
>> In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
>> because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
>> to figure out.
>>
>>
>> lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
>> There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
>> and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
>> what that is for.
>>
>>
>> geoff
>>
>>
>
>
May 5, 2005 4:31:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

What happened to the days that IBM made its own equipment.
It seems there really is no more OEMs they are all just middlemen.
There is badness in blackboxing everything. There might be stuff
going on in the hardware we might like to know about but will not
because we only look at the surficial facades. I think the blackboxing
is what the security people want us to do to keep us in the dark
about science and technology. To make sure we do not modify things
for our own desires. They make nuclear weapons this way so they can
not be misused inconsistant with the desires of the makers.
I see the nuclear industry mentality governing our lives today and I really do not like it.
Compartmentizing and blackboxing everything.





<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:427a0f73.1985896@nntp.charter.net...
> On the whole these days, the personal computer industry does not do board level
> repair. It is far more cost effective to replace the entire board with either
> the same model or one which is physically compatible and uses the same chipsets.
> The exceptions are those rare cases where some software is absolutely locked
> into a hardware implementation and spare boards are not available. The U.S.
> government regularly pees away sums of money on board repairs.
>
> I'll stick by my original recommendation: Replace the board. If the CPU is
> also bad, no problem. 633MHz and faster compatible Celeron CPUs are inexpensive
> lately.
>
> Gateway is not the only company which had its butt scalded by poor quality
> MicroStar motherboards. IBM had a run of problems with MicroStar boards, as did
> some others. Good luck getting a schematic for the MS-6312. I do not know of
> any motherboard manufacturer which makes board schematics available outside its
> own company.
>
> I have been doing repairs, upgrades, and refurbs of personal computers for over
> 10 years now. I have yet to learn to use an oscilliscope. I don't need to. I
> have yet to solder something to a board to fix it. I don't need to. My time is
> spent 1000% more effectively by isolating the failed hardware and replacing it.
> Or maybe even scrapping the whole box, and selling a replacement. Keep in mind
> the very low prices of computers these days. Today's NY Times has a Dell ad for
> a 2+GHz Dimension 3000 with 15" flat panel monitor and cheap Dell inkjet printer
> for $399 including shipping. At those prices, component level board repairs are
> interesting only as intellectual engineering challenges... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:58:31 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Just found out the power supply looks good.
>>the main indicator to the problem is that
>>both the green power light and the amber
>>light not described in the users manual
>>is on at the very same time.
>>
>>Maybe someone can tell me what the amber light represents ??
>>
>>Both lights on at the very same time would mean something
>>to me if I could get my hands on the schematics for this
>>motherboard. Gateway MS-6312 Ver:1.
>>
>>I am surprised at the lack of responses.
>>Are there no technical people out there
>>doing component level troubleshooting ?
>>
>>Is everything black boxed today which really
>>lets you learn nothing about anything.
>>
>>geoff
>>
>>
>>"Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8ac66$427971b4$4f0155d$5869@DIALUPUSA.NET...
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> need some troubleshooting advice here.
>>>
>>> Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
>>> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
>>> 64MB SDRAM
>>>
>>> Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
>>> because I have no Schematics or test equipment
>>> other than a DMM.
>>>
>>> Symptoms:
>>> push power switch amber light comes on.
>>> shouldn't that light be green ???
>>> no video...Video screen blank.
>>> No signs of life from the floppy drive.
>>> No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
>>> CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
>>> stays like that forever.
>>> Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>>>
>>> +12 volts is +11.82
>>> +5 volts is +5.1
>>>
>>> cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>>>
>>>
>>> might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>>>
>>> I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
>>> still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
>>> If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
>>> beep code.
>>>
>>> I suspect either there is no timing and control
>>> getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
>>> especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
>>> of problem before.
>>>
>>> One other thing of interest.
>>> Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
>>> video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
>>> times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.
>>>
>>> I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>>>
>>> In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
>>> because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
>>> to figure out.
>>>
>>>
>>> lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
>>> There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
>>> and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
>>> what that is for.
>>>
>>>
>>> geoff
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:21:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Are you sure the PSU is good? I have replaced many of those power supplies
because of the issue with the power indicator you describe. Now, sometimes
it was both the MBD and PSU that had to be replaced for that issue. You can
get a replacement board at www.skyline-eng.com for $99. I don't know if I
would replace it though. Besides the capacitor issue, those boards had many
other problems, bad modems, failed video, easily broken USB ports.

"Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:6fbee$4279d246$4f01596$7390@DIALUPUSA.NET...
> Hello,
>
> Just found out the power supply looks good.
> the main indicator to the problem is that
> both the green power light and the amber
> light not described in the users manual
> is on at the very same time.
>
> Maybe someone can tell me what the amber light represents ??
>
> Both lights on at the very same time would mean something
> to me if I could get my hands on the schematics for this
> motherboard. Gateway MS-6312 Ver:1.
>
> I am surprised at the lack of responses.
> Are there no technical people out there
> doing component level troubleshooting ?
>
> Is everything black boxed today which really
> lets you learn nothing about anything.
>
> geoff
>
>
> "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:8ac66$427971b4$4f0155d$5869@DIALUPUSA.NET...
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> need some troubleshooting advice here.
>>
>> Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
>> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
>> 64MB SDRAM
>>
>> Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
>> because I have no Schematics or test equipment
>> other than a DMM.
>>
>> Symptoms:
>> push power switch amber light comes on.
>> shouldn't that light be green ???
>> no video...Video screen blank.
>> No signs of life from the floppy drive.
>> No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
>> CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
>> stays like that forever.
>> Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>>
>> +12 volts is +11.82
>> +5 volts is +5.1
>>
>> cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>>
>> Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>>
>>
>> might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>>
>> I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
>> still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
>> If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
>> beep code.
>>
>> I suspect either there is no timing and control
>> getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
>> especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
>> of problem before.
>>
>> One other thing of interest.
>> Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
>> video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
>> times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would
>> not start up.
>>
>> I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>>
>> In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
>> because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
>> to figure out.
>>
>>
>> lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
>> There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
>> and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
>> what that is for.
>>
>>
>> geoff
>>
>>
>
>
May 5, 2005 9:24:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:58:31 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Maybe someone can tell me what the amber light represents ??

On my White Box, the green light is the power light and the Amber
light is the HD light (which is only lit when the HD is working).
However, if my system goes into sleep mode, the green power light
turns amber.

If you have a separate power and HD light on the panel, then I think
that amber light on yours is the same as on mine... the HD access
light and something has gone bonkers with your systems causing the HD
to be in continuous working mode thus the amber HD light staying
continuously light.

If the amber light is definitely your power lamp, then you are stuck
in sleep mode for some reason if your system, like mine, turns the
green power lamp to amber when going into sleep mode.

If you feel the need to replace the system instead of having it
fixed.... Support a local, reputable, white box builder and keep your
business and money in your own community. Having an English speaking
local face to face that really cares about you and their own
reputation for support can't be beat either.

Just my uneducated thoughts.......

Regards,
May 5, 2005 10:19:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Yes, I know this now as a bad choice for both vender and machine.
I think I will search for a replacement machine on the open
market getting a good used machine might be better than trying
to fix this one. But I have seen replacement MBs for under $60
so i might just try that route before giving up all hope.
The only thing I sweat is changing out the CPU because i understand
the springs on the heat sinks are hard to deal with and if you
are not very careful you might damage the board just putting on
the heat sink. I have never changed out a CPU before.
I will probably experiment on the bad board several times
before trying to mount the cpu on a good board.

Yes I am fairly sure the PSU is good. I think the bad part is related to the
video chip that also provides timing and control to the CPU
It is like a clock is dead or something because there is no sign of life
I sure wish I had kept my O scope so I could look and see if
the various timing signals are present.

Thanks for your reply.

I will not be posting any further to this thread.

geoff


"Tweek" <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ICsee.10938$Ri.4905@trnddc08...
> Are you sure the PSU is good? I have replaced many of those power supplies because of the issue with the power indicator you
> describe. Now, sometimes it was both the MBD and PSU that had to be replaced for that issue. You can get a replacement board at
> www.skyline-eng.com for $99. I don't know if I would replace it though. Besides the capacitor issue, those boards had many other
> problems, bad modems, failed video, easily broken USB ports.
>
> "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6fbee$4279d246$4f01596$7390@DIALUPUSA.NET...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just found out the power supply looks good.
>> the main indicator to the problem is that
>> both the green power light and the amber
>> light not described in the users manual
>> is on at the very same time.
>>
>> Maybe someone can tell me what the amber light represents ??
>>
>> Both lights on at the very same time would mean something
>> to me if I could get my hands on the schematics for this
>> motherboard. Gateway MS-6312 Ver:1.
>>
>> I am surprised at the lack of responses.
>> Are there no technical people out there
>> doing component level troubleshooting ?
>>
>> Is everything black boxed today which really
>> lets you learn nothing about anything.
>>
>> geoff
>>
>>
>> "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8ac66$427971b4$4f0155d$5869@DIALUPUSA.NET...
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> need some troubleshooting advice here.
>>>
>>> Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
>>> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
>>> 64MB SDRAM
>>>
>>> Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
>>> because I have no Schematics or test equipment
>>> other than a DMM.
>>>
>>> Symptoms:
>>> push power switch amber light comes on.
>>> shouldn't that light be green ???
>>> no video...Video screen blank.
>>> No signs of life from the floppy drive.
>>> No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
>>> CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
>>> stays like that forever.
>>> Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>>>
>>> +12 volts is +11.82
>>> +5 volts is +5.1
>>>
>>> cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>>>
>>>
>>> might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>>>
>>> I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
>>> still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
>>> If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
>>> beep code.
>>>
>>> I suspect either there is no timing and control
>>> getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
>>> especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
>>> of problem before.
>>>
>>> One other thing of interest.
>>> Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
>>> video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
>>> times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.
>>>
>>> I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>>>
>>> In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
>>> because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
>>> to figure out.
>>>
>>>
>>> lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
>>> There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
>>> and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
>>> what that is for.
>>>
>>>
>>> geoff
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:10:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:05:53 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>
>Hello,
>
>need some troubleshooting advice here.
>
>Computer: Gateway Essential 633C Celeron
> MB is MS-6312 VER:1
> 64MB SDRAM
>
>Got a dead computer and do not know where to start
>because I have no Schematics or test equipment
>other than a DMM.
>
>Symptoms:
>push power switch amber light comes on.
>shouldn't that light be green ???
>no video...Video screen blank.
>No signs of life from the floppy drive.
>No BIOS or beep codes or beeps of any kind.
>CPU heat sink gets warm to the touch.
>stays like that forever.
>Hold in power switch for 5 seconds and power goes off.
>
>+12 volts is +11.82
>+5 volts is +5.1
>
>cant get to the other voltages easily so I have not yet checked them.
>
>Any ideas how to know if all the clocks are running
>
>
>might the celeron CPU be dead or possibly the ram ???
>
>I would think if the ram was totally bad the CPU would
>still run the POST from the BIOS and deliver a beep code.
>If it was the video adapter I would also expect to hear a
>beep code.
>
>I suspect either there is no timing and control
>getting to the CPU or the CPU is dead Any ideas are welcome
>especially from someone who has troubleshot this kind
>of problem before.
>
>One other thing of interest.
>Before the machine died there was herringbone patterns on the
>video display. You would have to start the computer two or three
>times in a row before it would come on. Next day the machine just would not start up.
>
>I know the monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive are all good.
>
>In case you are wondering I do not put this in the shop
>because I figure an all or nothing kind of trouble might be fun
>to figure out.
>
>
>lol the power supply is only 90 Watts.
>There is black/white wire pair coming out of the power supply
>and attaching to the motherboard. Have not yet figured out
>what that is for.
>
>
>geoff
>


Disconnect all the connections from the PS to everything in the PC
except the boot drive. Everything else, including the PS connections
to the mobo. Plug the power cord in. Now, if you press the test
button on the PS, does the green light come on? I'm assuming you have
such a test button.

Next, plug the connections from the PS to mobo back in. Turn it on.
Does it come on now?

Then, one at a time, start plugging connections back in.

Of course, between each item, you turn off the box and unplug the
power cord from the PS, making sure the little green led on the mobo
goes out first.


I just went thru this with a GP6 that I'm pretty sure has more stuff
in it that the PS is rated for. It was like Apollo 13, adding each
item and watching the amp meter rise. Finally got it to boot with
everything, but what it really needs is a bigger PS.


-------------------------


"I do not believe the government should impose on power plants mandatory emissions reductions for carbon dioxide. This is especially true given the incomplete state of scientific knowledge of the causes of, and solutions to, global climate change."
- President George Bush


"There is a better scientific consensus on this than on any other issue I know except maybe Newton's second law of dynamics."
- Scientist D. James Baker, former administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:07:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Well, no matter whose name brand goes on the equipment, the computer industry
has first followed the auto industry's approach to specialization in the
manufacturing of devices. In the auto industry, it's the brake shoes, mufflers,
wheels, cylinders, etc. which are farmed out to other manufacturers who
specialize in a particular type of part. With the computer industry,
motherboards, hard drives, CD-ROM drives, memory, video cards, etc. are all made
by specialty manufacturers and sold to the name brands on an OEM basis. The
computer industry has gone way beyond the auto industry, because the important
parts are far more interchangable due to standardized physical form factors.

But, yes, you're right. All the name brand manufacturers are more or less
middlemen. The better ones specify higher quality parts to go inside the boxes,
which are the remaining unique items in a computer. And how unique can a
computer chassis be? Well, it can have different colors, more or less plastic,
even transparent sides to the chassis so you can see the parts inside
(Whoopee!)... Ben Myers

On Thu, 5 May 2005 11:23:54 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote:

>What happened to the days that IBM made its own equipment.
>It seems there really is no more OEMs they are all just middlemen.
>There is badness in blackboxing everything. There might be stuff
>going on in the hardware we might like to know about but will not
>because we only look at the surficial facades. I think the blackboxing
>is what the security people want us to do to keep us in the dark
>about science and technology. To make sure we do not modify things
>for our own desires. They make nuclear weapons this way so they can
>not be misused inconsistant with the desires of the makers.
>I see the nuclear industry mentality governing our lives today and I really do not like it.
>Compartmentizing and blackboxing everything.
>
>
>
>
May 7, 2005 3:57:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Ben Myers you sound like you been around awhile,

You know those plastic sides on those cases
provide no decent shielding for things like
EMP and RFI. You need 100% encapsulation in
a conductive shield of somekind. In this
nuclear world I would think more people would
be sensitive to such things.

I just found out looking at the Motherboard there are several
high power FET switches and various voltage regulator chips.
Most of the components are now surface mount which require
expensive surgeon like equipment to deal with on a component level.
The board flexes when you plug anything in or out meaning the very
design might cause troubles if you say like plug in a dimm card
and flex the board or plug or unplug a connector flexing the board

I am not so sure these motherboards with surface mounted parts
can really take a lot of flexing before something breaks.

What the industry really needs to do is mount everything on an
inflexible surface like it is some kind of giant hybrid circuit
so things do not move around so much.

Do you know of a company that makes such a motherboard ??

The trouble I see here is mounting inflexible parts upon a flexible board.

geoff




<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:427abf9a.14381304@nntp.charter.net...
> Well, no matter whose name brand goes on the equipment, the computer industry
> has first followed the auto industry's approach to specialization in the
> manufacturing of devices. In the auto industry, it's the brake shoes, mufflers,
> wheels, cylinders, etc. which are farmed out to other manufacturers who
> specialize in a particular type of part. With the computer industry,
> motherboards, hard drives, CD-ROM drives, memory, video cards, etc. are all made
> by specialty manufacturers and sold to the name brands on an OEM basis. The
> computer industry has gone way beyond the auto industry, because the important
> parts are far more interchangable due to standardized physical form factors.
>
> But, yes, you're right. All the name brand manufacturers are more or less
> middlemen. The better ones specify higher quality parts to go inside the boxes,
> which are the remaining unique items in a computer. And how unique can a
> computer chassis be? Well, it can have different colors, more or less plastic,
> even transparent sides to the chassis so you can see the parts inside
> (Whoopee!)... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 5 May 2005 11:23:54 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>What happened to the days that IBM made its own equipment.
>>It seems there really is no more OEMs they are all just middlemen.
>>There is badness in blackboxing everything. There might be stuff
>>going on in the hardware we might like to know about but will not
>>because we only look at the surficial facades. I think the blackboxing
>>is what the security people want us to do to keep us in the dark
>>about science and technology. To make sure we do not modify things
>>for our own desires. They make nuclear weapons this way so they can
>>not be misused inconsistant with the desires of the makers.
>>I see the nuclear industry mentality governing our lives today and I really do not like it.
>>Compartmentizing and blackboxing everything.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:31:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Around a while? Yes, sort of an understatement.

I am not aware of any motherboards made with some reinforcement to prevent undue
flexing. The normal 8- or 9-point mounting of a motherboard inside a chassis
does not result in zero flex, but the flex is small enough to prevent breakage
of circuits and chips on the board.

I still stick with Intel-designed motherboards as a first choice, Asus as
second. Intel no longer manufactures the motherboards sold under its own brand
name, but the design is Intel's and the manufacturing quality standards are
Intel's. Intel boards are put down by the gamers and speed freaks because they
do not permit overclocking. But they are stable and reliable. Overclocking
means running a CPU (sometimes chips and memory, too) beyond the limits for
which it is designed. Not a good idea if reliability is a goal... Ben Myers

On Sat, 7 May 2005 11:57:48 -0700, "Geoff" <gmvoeth@(nomail)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Ben Myers you sound like you been around awhile,
>
>You know those plastic sides on those cases
>provide no decent shielding for things like
>EMP and RFI. You need 100% encapsulation in
>a conductive shield of somekind. In this
>nuclear world I would think more people would
>be sensitive to such things.
>
>I just found out looking at the Motherboard there are several
>high power FET switches and various voltage regulator chips.
>Most of the components are now surface mount which require
>expensive surgeon like equipment to deal with on a component level.
>The board flexes when you plug anything in or out meaning the very
>design might cause troubles if you say like plug in a dimm card
>and flex the board or plug or unplug a connector flexing the board
>
>I am not so sure these motherboards with surface mounted parts
>can really take a lot of flexing before something breaks.
>
>What the industry really needs to do is mount everything on an
>inflexible surface like it is some kind of giant hybrid circuit
>so things do not move around so much.
>
>Do you know of a company that makes such a motherboard ??
>
>The trouble I see here is mounting inflexible parts upon a flexible board.
>
>geoff
>
>
>
>
!