is my card broken or is it just a driver issue

basicly i bought a msi 6600 {1} but im having a nightmare setting it up,
under linux xorg cant recognise the card normaly and the nvidia drivers
hard lock the system. i can kind of live with this as linux is always
going to have probs with new hardware

the real problem is the 1st install of drivers under windows xp wrecked
the install causing it to reboot once the screen came up, after a load of
hassle i have a win 2000 partition that doesnt crash, the probs is the
vivo doesnt seem to sent any signal out or display anything and it only
shows one head

so far im deeply unimpressed not to mention that the performance in doom3
wasnt really that good so im pretty tempted to just send it back and get
a tv capture card or a geforce4600 with vivo

{1} link
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=637

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:32:10 GMT, ewan <epaton@null.org> wrote:

>basicly i bought a msi 6600 {1} but im having a nightmare setting it up,
>under linux xorg cant recognise the card normaly and the nvidia drivers
>hard lock the system. i can kind of live with this as linux is always
>going to have probs with new hardware

I can get X operational with the NVidia 66.93 drivers under Fedora Core
3 for normal console-mode stuff under X. I have issues with the system
hard locking whenever I try any 3D stuff (Tux Racer or even glxgears). I
don't recall if the vanilla nv drivers worked (possibly not) but if your
inittab is set default to run level 3, you should be able to install the
Linux drivers from the NVidia site and then telinit to run level 5 (or
just startx). Do the usual changes to xorg.conf as outlined in NVIdia's
readme file.

If you're running a distro that uses udev on startup, you might need to
copy some of the driver files over to where udev can pick them up.
Google for it or reply here and I'll drop over to the Linux partition
where I stashed the notes.

>the real problem is the 1st install of drivers under windows xp wrecked
>the install causing it to reboot once the screen came up, after a load of
>hassle i have a win 2000 partition that doesnt crash, the probs is the
>vivo doesnt seem to sent any signal out or display anything and it only
>shows one head
>
>so far im deeply unimpressed not to mention that the performance in doom3
>wasnt really that good so im pretty tempted to just send it back and get
>a tv capture card or a geforce4600 with vivo
>
>{1} link
>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=637

Link didn't work. Is this a 6600GT AGP card? Check the several
(unfortunately) other threads that discuss problems and possible
resolutions with that card.

Mine seems a bit fragile but it's working OK at the moment. When it's
working, it's beautiful...

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

to be honest i disint do much more than check it out to see if it would
run x as i figured i would need to arse about to set it up, im a gentoo
user so i control my intit scripts and xorg isnt usualy started by
default, ive been using linux long enough to know most things are
possible if you are prepaired to do some reading and have some patience.
thats the reason i put windows to test it and make sure it was working ok
before i set up mythtv

as for the card its a bit of an odd one its a 6600 agp but with ddr3
memory and a 400mhz clock, i got it basicly because vivo cards geforce 6
cards are hard to get hold of here and liked the idea of a working mpeg4
encoder

it is just plain unacceptable that a £150 card is unable to max out a 6
month old game like doom3 and has so god damned drivers, its not like
im some computer illiterate, im begining to see why fx cards still sell
well

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:23:29 GMT, ewan <epaton@null.org> wrote:

[snip...snip...]
>it is just plain unacceptable that a £150 card is unable to max out a 6
>month old game like doom3 and has so god damned drivers, its not like
>im some computer illiterate, im begining to see why fx cards still sell
>well

I suspect that the 6600 AGPs that originated as PCI-E cards are having
more issues than NVidia expected. Perhaps not too surprising, given how
long AGP has been around and how many different permutations of
motherboards, chipsets, drivers, other peripherals, etc. there are. They
will probably figure it all out (given the huge incentive of a card with
the 6600-series capabilities at its price point) but it might shake out
that the early adapters are stuck with revs that have issues with
particular chipsets or sound cards or ...

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

geoff

Rich Webb wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:32:10 GMT, ewan <epaton@null.org> wrote:
>

>>basicly i bought a msi 6600 {1} but im having a nightmare setting it up,
>>under linux xorg cant recognise the card normaly and the nvidia drivers
>>hard lock the system. i can kind of live with this as linux is always
>>going to have probs with new hardware
>

> I can get X operational with the NVidia 66.93 drivers under Fedora Core
> 3 for normal console-mode stuff under X. I have issues with the system
> hard locking whenever I try any 3D stuff (Tux Racer or even glxgears). I
> don't recall if the vanilla nv drivers worked (possibly not) but if your
> inittab is set default to run level 3, you should be able to install the
> Linux drivers from the NVidia site and then telinit to run level 5 (or
> just startx). Do the usual changes to xorg.conf as outlined in NVIdia's
> readme file.
>
> If you're running a distro that uses udev on startup, you might need to
> copy some of the driver files over to where udev can pick them up.
> Google for it or reply here and I'll drop over to the Linux partition
> where I stashed the notes.

I'm running debian unstable and have a Leadtek 6600GT agp. I found the
machine would reliably freeze after running any opengl app after about
20 to 30 seconds. I'd had no problems previously with a FX5200.

If I disabled agp the card would run fine but obviously slower. I also
found that a seemingly random combination of rebooting and reinstalling
the drivers would get the card to work ok with agp, either nvidia agp or
agpgart, but on next reboot would be back to square one.
Currently I have an uptime of 17 days and have run intensive opengl apps
for hours without a glitch.

Something odd that I noticed, sometimes when I reinstalled the drivers
it would tell me that something about the installation had changed, even
though I hadn't changed anything, weird.

After reading your post I have uninstalled udev. I have all the drivers
compiled in so don't need it anyway (2.6.9 debian kernel). Will see what
happens next reboot.
Another thing is that I have usb, a nic and the nvidia card all on one
interrupt. Shouldn't matter but I will remove the nic if the above
doesn't fix it.
Other than that I don't have too many ideas...

Geoff

You do know that there isn't a video card on the market that can max out DOOM3?
The highest setting requires a card with at least 512M of onboard ram.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:12:14 +0000, YanquiDawg wrote:

> You do know that there isn't a video card on the market that can max out DOOM3?
> The highest setting requires a card with at least 512M of onboard ram.
>
>>>it is just plain unacceptable that a £150 card is unable to max out a 6
>>>month old game like doom3 and has so god damned drivers, its not like
>>>im some computer illiterate, im begining to see why fx cards still sell
>>>well

as i understand it the ultra settings in doom3 is just about using
uncompressed textures which will speed things up and probably benifit
future games based on the engine but i was meaning high settings at
1600x1200. not realy an issue anyway as im sending it back and just bought
an fx5600 with vivo for £41 on ebay and that will keep me going till
someone actualy produces a working card that can do mpeg4 encoding or ar
least has working drivers.

i was also slightly miffed that the once i had the card at least running
xorg in linux my glxgears score was about the same as a geforce4400

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:07:44 +1100, Geoff
<greendog@nospampacific.net.au> wrote:

>I'm running debian unstable and have a Leadtek 6600GT agp. I found the
>machine would reliably freeze after running any opengl app after about
>20 to 30 seconds. I'd had no problems previously with a FX5200.

Similar experiences here. I don't really use opengl that much under
Linux (Tux Racer is about it) and X works OK so I solved the problem by
ignoring it for now, at least until the next NVidia driver release.

[snip...snip...]
>After reading your post I have uninstalled udev. I have all the drivers
>compiled in so don't need it anyway (2.6.9 debian kernel). Will see what
>happens next reboot.

Found it again. The Fedora udev vs nvidia issue is solved by

(from http://www.wlug.org.nz/FedoraNotes)

----
Hangs at "Configuring kernel parameters"

This is because UDev hasn't loaded the nvidia devices. As root:

cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
----

which is probably moot if yours are compiled in and not modules.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

geoff

Rich Webb wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:07:44 +1100, Geoff
> <greendog@nospampacific.net.au> wrote:
>

>>I'm running debian unstable and have a Leadtek 6600GT agp. I found the
>>machine would reliably freeze after running any opengl app after about
>>20 to 30 seconds. I'd had no problems previously with a FX5200.
>

> Similar experiences here. I don't really use opengl that much under
> Linux (Tux Racer is about it) and X works OK so I solved the problem by
> ignoring it for now, at least until the next NVidia driver release.
>
> [snip...snip...]
>
>>After reading your post I have uninstalled udev. I have all the drivers
>>compiled in so don't need it anyway (2.6.9 debian kernel). Will see what
>>happens next reboot.
>

> Found it again. The Fedora udev vs nvidia issue is solved by
>
> (from http://www.wlug.org.nz/FedoraNotes)
>
> ----
> Hangs at "Configuring kernel parameters"
>
> This is because UDev hasn't loaded the nvidia devices. As root:
>
> cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
> chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
> ----
>
> which is probably moot if yours are compiled in and not modules.

Well I can eliminate udev and interupt conflicts with the nic as the
cause of my problems.
On the plus side I just plugged a Barton 2500 chip into an Asus A7V333
revision 1 motherboard which doesn't support 333 MHz fsb processors
(according to Asus) and it works fine.
6600GT working fine after a couple of reboots...??? Weird.

TRENDING THREADS