Suddenly no DVD decoder :-(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2005 7:33:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.

BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (>week ago).

But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?

Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?

BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

More about : suddenly dvd decoder

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 3:48:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Some video cards come with DVD player software, some DVDs come with
appropriate software! Can you not remember what either came with? PowerDVD,
WinDVD, nvDVD or something else?

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
> as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
> 44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.
>
> BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
> Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (>week ago).
>
> But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
> system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
> driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?
>
> Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
> did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?
>
> BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:24:45 AM

Reckless skrev:

> Some video cards come with DVD player software, some DVDs come with
> appropriate software! Can you not remember what either came with? PowerDVD,
> WinDVD, nvDVD or something else?

Can't remember anything special. Had WinDVD on a CD, but never
installed it (came with my motherboard). Have not installed any DVD
decoder after upgrading to XP (from Win98se), and I dodn't have a DVD
player earlier either (bougth it after I upgraded to XP).

So either something was installed with my original video-card drivers,
or when I installed the DVD player/writer first time. Really strange.

Anyway, I installed WinDVD (as I had a CD with that) and that
installed a decoder (Media Player complained about something, but it
does work, so...)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
January 27, 2005 12:22:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I hear ya,

Luckily I found out that WMP10 doesn't come with DVD functionality on
someone elses pc. You now gotta buy the DVD part as a plug-in.

Andy

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
> as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
> 44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.
>
> BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
> Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (>week ago).
>
> But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
> system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
> driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?
>
> Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
> did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?
>
> BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:55:25 AM

"pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message

> "!bungle" <stratosrally@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D eYJd.69778$Ta2.65582@fe2.texas.rr.com...

<snipped>

>> I wanted to gripe about something else that really pissed me off- but I
>> can't remember the name of the player... it seemed that everything I was
>> renting was trying to install and use a player that I personally did not
>> care for. I was having a hell of a time getting stuff to play with my
> other
>> software during this, too.
>>
>> I finally managed to get it to go away, but I still have to close that
> damn
>> window that pops up on some rentals.
>>
>> (hell, I don't know if the problem is confined to rentals or not- I just
>> don't recall seeing it on a disc that I own...)
>>

> Think you're just getting the Autoplay feature on the cd working asking to
> install "Interact's" (think that's the name) DVD player. I've always just
> assumed it's put on the dvd so novice pc owners don't have to wonder "how
> do
> I watch this" if they just put the dvd in their drive.
>
> It's no problem to simply cancel the install and use your own player
> (WinDVD, PowerDVD or whatever) instead. If that's not enough, just hold
> down the "Shift" key (maybe Ctrl instead?) so Window's Autioplay feature
> doesn't kick in when you put the dvd in.

doh!

(I recently did a clean install of XP SP2 and never set "Autoplay" to "off",
which is the way I've always set it in the past)

makes sense..... and yeah, it was "Interactual" or somethin' similar.

thnx again,

!bungle
!