Any 256MB 6600GT cards around?

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Hello all

Going to plump for a 6600 card but have noticed that there don't seem to be
any 256MB GT cards around (plenty of vanilla 256MB 6600's around). I'm well
aware of the arguments that 256MB isn't neccessary for most games etc and
that the GT cards are faster but wouldn't a 256MB 6600GT be more
*future-proof*?

BillL

"BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> Going to plump for a 6600 card but have noticed that there don't seem to
> be any 256MB GT cards around (plenty of vanilla 256MB 6600's around). I'm
> well aware of the arguments that 256MB isn't neccessary for most games etc
> and that the GT cards are faster but wouldn't a 256MB 6600GT be more
> *future-proof*?

As a mid range card, the 6600GT isnt going to be futureproof anyway so dont
waste your time!

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
> "BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Hello all
>>
>>Going to plump for a 6600 card but have noticed that there don't seem to
>>be any 256MB GT cards around (plenty of vanilla 256MB 6600's around). I'm
>>well aware of the arguments that 256MB isn't neccessary for most games etc
>>and that the GT cards are faster but wouldn't a 256MB 6600GT be more
>>*future-proof*?
>

> As a mid range card, the 6600GT isnt going to be futureproof anyway so dont
> waste your time!
>

>>BillL

Don't agree totally. Get a 6600GT with an SLI board and in a few months
throw in another 6600GT and bingo, you've got 256 megs plus the added
horsepower!

Ron

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"Freedom55" <"joinertake this out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Iain Dingsdale wrote:
>> "BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello all
>>>
>>>Going to plump for a 6600 card but have noticed that there don't seem to
>>>be any 256MB GT cards around (plenty of vanilla 256MB 6600's around). I'm
>>>well aware of the arguments that 256MB isn't neccessary for most games
>>>etc and that the GT cards are faster but wouldn't a 256MB 6600GT be more
>>>*future-proof*?
>>

>> As a mid range card, the 6600GT isnt going to be futureproof anyway so
>> dont waste your time!
>>

>>>BillL
>>>

> Don't agree totally. Get a 6600GT with an SLI board and in a few months
> throw in another 6600GT and bingo, you've got 256 megs plus the added
> horsepower!
>
> Ron

Thanks Ron, had been thinking about going the extra mile and getting a SLI
mobo. A couple of 6600GT cards should fly!

BillL

Be careful there. For SLI to kick in, the drivers must contain settings for
each individual game. Unless the game you play is one of these:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_hardware_sliapps.html

The 2nd card will just be sitting idle.

"Freedom55" <"joinertake this out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Don't agree totally. Get a 6600GT with an SLI board and in a few months
> throw in another 6600GT and bingo, you've got 256 megs plus the added
> horsepower!
>
> Ron

Or this one: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzEx

It should be possible to force SLI in unsupported games, if not now then
very soon, though the results will vary. nVidia's SLI solution certainly
isn't as universally compatible as 3dfx's.

You'd think with Gary Tarolli (the "T" in T-buffer) and some 100 ex-3dfx
employees now working at nVidia, they'd come up with something a bit more
robust. It's not like nVidia's single-chip cards are faltering.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/geforce6600gt-sli/index.x?pg=1