AMD64 or P4?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi have have tought upgrading from:

P4 2.4GHz
1 x 512 DDR 333MHz (pc2700)
GA-8IPE1000 Rev1.0 5PCI AGP8X Dual Channel DDR400+ (4DDR Slots)

AMD64 3000+ 2GHz (I'ma gonna overclock it)
2 x 256MB Samsung 400MHz (PC3200) 2 time to benecite of the Dual
Channel

GA-KV8000 5PCI AGP 8X Dual Channel DDR 400MHz+ (3DDR Slots)

There's probably not much difference between these 2 configs but since
I'm gonna sell my parts and by the news with the money I earned with
the parts I don't mind at all so I just want to know if the AMD64
config somehow better in general and to run games with my 6600GT.
Thanks

John wrote:

> Hi have have tought upgrading from:
>
> P4 2.4GHz
> 1 x 512 DDR 333MHz (pc2700)
> GA-8IPE1000 Rev1.0 5PCI AGP8X Dual Channel DDR400+ (4DDR Slots)

> AMD64 3000+ 2GHz (I'ma gonna overclock it)
> 2 x 256MB Samsung 400MHz (PC3200) 2 time to benecite of the Dual
> Channel
>
> GA-KV8000 5PCI AGP 8X Dual Channel DDR 400MHz+ (3DDR Slots)

Are you sure that's the right number?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hey thanks for replying guys. You're about the mobo's number. It's not
KV8000 but K8VT800. Lain your right too I should jut get a 1 x 512 so I
can put some more later.
Oh yea and the AMD64 3000 is a good one to overclock right?

"John" <beretta92fs_inox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi have have tought upgrading from:
>
> P4 2.4GHz
> 1 x 512 DDR 333MHz (pc2700)
> GA-8IPE1000 Rev1.0 5PCI AGP8X Dual Channel DDR400+ (4DDR Slots)

> AMD64 3000+ 2GHz (I'ma gonna overclock it)
> 2 x 256MB Samsung 400MHz (PC3200) 2 time to benecite of the Dual
> Channel

Dont do it this way, get 1x512mb for now. Dual channel doesnt increase
performance that much, maybe 5%ish which you wouldnt even notice. This way
you can get another 512mb when you can afford it and have 1gb dual channel.
getting 2x256 doesnt leave you any room to upgrade if you want dual channel.
To be honest 512mb is an absolute minimum for most new games anyway

> GA-KV8000 5PCI AGP 8X Dual Channel DDR 400MHz+ (3DDR Slots)
>
> There's probably not much difference between these 2 configs but since
> I'm gonna sell my parts and by the news with the money I earned with
> the parts I don't mind at all so I just want to know if the AMD64
> config somehow better in general and to run games with my 6600GT.
> Thanks

As everyone says, AMD for games, intel for apps. Sounds like you're going to
be running games so yes the A64 would be better. A mate of mine has a very
similar setup to mine - 6800GT, 1gb ram but he has a 3.2Ghz P4 and I have a
3400+ A64. We were arsing around last night in half life 2 "garrys mod"
multiplayer (google it, its fun) and i was quite happily launching hundreds
of melons at him, throwing cars around etc without dropping a frame. His
seemed to be chugging along at about 5fps!
Most benchmarks show the same, when it comes to games the a64 completely
embarrases the intel, and levels with it in other stuff.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Oh yea and the AMD64 3000 is a good one to overclock right?

Yes just make sure you get the winchester 90nm core. I read a review where
it was overclocked to 2.4ghz on the standard stock cooler. Sorry I can't
remeber the link.

Dan