Need video card suggestion (semi-long):

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 25, 2005 6:40:39 PM

Hi all,

The system specs (a homebuilt, but it runs smooth as glass for me):
ASUS P4PE Mainboard (4x AGP)
P4 2.4 Ghz
512 MB PC2700 / DDR-333
MSI GeForce4 Ti4800 SE (8x AGP)
400W PSU that came with my Raidmax case.
(A pair of optical drives, a couple of hard drives, SB Live, etc. etc)
Viewsonic VE500 (15" LCD)

The Games (I really don't play a wide variety):
===================================
Neverwinter Nights
Counter-strike
GTA: Vice City
Halflife2 (and thus Counter-strike Source) - recently purchased, and pushing
me to upgrade :)

The Situation:
===========
I'm upgrading to 1024 MB of system RAM (doing some video editing with a DV
cam, figure the RAM can't hurt), and will have approx $300 (and maybe a tad
more) left over that I'd like to use on a new video card.

I'm not a bench-marker, or an over-clocking freak (I bow in respect to your
coolness if you are), but I do like what few games I play to look as
pristine and beautiful as possible. While Halflife2 and CS: Source are
playable on 'medium' settings with the Ti4800 SE, I would ideally like to
play both with most (if not all) of the details and eye candy set to max. By
playable, I mean I get around 30-50 fps fairly regularly. I play all my
games in the native resolution of my monitor (1024x768) and I generally don't
use Anti-aliasing or Anisotropic filtering - though that is because it
always seems to affect performance negatively. If the card could handle it,
that'd be sweet.

I've been looking at a few chipsets:

6600GT - seem to be around $210.00+
6800 - "non-ultra?" - I see these for about $275.00+
6800GT - seem to be around $350.00+ though I've seen an ASUS for $297.00;
however it had only 128MB onboard, and from what I've read is slower than
other 6800GTs

I do value the opinion of those with more experience in these matters. Given
my needs/wants/system specs, what would you suggest as my next video card
purchase? Will the 6600GT blow me away? Will the extra money for a basic
6800 be well spent? Should I just scrape together the extra cash for the
6800GT and risk the wrath of the spouse... (muuwaha) or should I be looking
at something entirely different?

Thanks in advance. If you have any questions about my expectations or system
setup, please let me know. I'll check back soon.

Sincerely,

Michael (Darius)
"There can be only one."
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2005 1:41:59 AM

Just buy a 6800 Ultra and forget the long winded post.

"DARIUS" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message
news:D VzJd.35$8y3.12992@news.uswest.net...
> Hi all,
>
> The system specs (a homebuilt, but it runs smooth as glass for me):
> ASUS P4PE Mainboard (4x AGP)
> P4 2.4 Ghz
> 512 MB PC2700 / DDR-333
> MSI GeForce4 Ti4800 SE (8x AGP)
> 400W PSU that came with my Raidmax case.
> (A pair of optical drives, a couple of hard drives, SB Live, etc. etc)
> Viewsonic VE500 (15" LCD)
>

> The Games (I really don't play a wide variety):
> ===================================
> Neverwinter Nights
> Counter-strike
> GTA: Vice City
> Halflife2 (and thus Counter-strike Source) - recently purchased, and
> pushing me to upgrade :)
>

> The Situation:
> ===========
> I'm upgrading to 1024 MB of system RAM (doing some video editing with a DV
> cam, figure the RAM can't hurt), and will have approx $300 (and maybe a
> tad more) left over that I'd like to use on a new video card.
>
> I'm not a bench-marker, or an over-clocking freak (I bow in respect to
> your coolness if you are), but I do like what few games I play to look as
> pristine and beautiful as possible. While Halflife2 and CS: Source are
> playable on 'medium' settings with the Ti4800 SE, I would ideally like to
> play both with most (if not all) of the details and eye candy set to max.
> By playable, I mean I get around 30-50 fps fairly regularly. I play all my
> games in the native resolution of my monitor (1024x768) and I generally
> don't use Anti-aliasing or Anisotropic filtering - though that is because
> it always seems to affect performance negatively. If the card could handle
> it, that'd be sweet.
>
> I've been looking at a few chipsets:
>
> 6600GT - seem to be around $210.00+
> 6800 - "non-ultra?" - I see these for about $275.00+
> 6800GT - seem to be around $350.00+ though I've seen an ASUS for $297.00;
> however it had only 128MB onboard, and from what I've read is slower than
> other 6800GTs
>
> I do value the opinion of those with more experience in these matters.
> Given my needs/wants/system specs, what would you suggest as my next video
> card purchase? Will the 6600GT blow me away? Will the extra money for a
> basic 6800 be well spent? Should I just scrape together the extra cash for
> the 6800GT and risk the wrath of the spouse... (muuwaha) or should I be
> looking at something entirely different?
>
> Thanks in advance. If you have any questions about my expectations or
> system setup, please let me know. I'll check back soon.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Michael (Darius)
> "There can be only one."

January 26, 2005 1:42:00 AM

>> "DARIUS" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message
>> news:D VzJd.35$8y3.12992@news.uswest.net...
>>
>{snipped my long winded post}
>>

>"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just buy a 6800 Ultra and forget the long winded post.

As much as I'd LOVE to be able to purchase that beast, I fear that pushing
the $500 mark would, in fact, be beyond my current hardware budget. :(

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Michael (Darius)
"There can be only one."
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2005 2:21:53 AM

>>> "DARIUS" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D VzJd.35$8y3.12992@news.uswest.net...
>>>
>>{snipped my long winded post}
>>>

>>"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just buy a 6800 Ultra and forget the long winded post.
>
> As much as I'd LOVE to be able to purchase that beast, I fear that pushing
> the $500 mark would, in fact, be beyond my current hardware budget. :(
>
> Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ok then, 6800GT.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2005 2:45:54 AM

I know this has nothing to do with your question,
but what raidmax case are you using.

Would advise you, but tightwads like me just dream about 3 figure gfx cards.

But if you want my opinion, save some cash and get a 6600GT that should run
most things just fine, although i hear you folks in the states have a slight
shortage.

Personally i got HL2 to run "alright" on my system which has a gfx card of
whose name i've been told not to mention as this is an nvidia newsgroup.
"DARIUS" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message
news:D VzJd.35$8y3.12992@news.uswest.net...
> Hi all,
>
> The system specs (a homebuilt, but it runs smooth as glass for me):
> ASUS P4PE Mainboard (4x AGP)
> P4 2.4 Ghz
> 512 MB PC2700 / DDR-333
> MSI GeForce4 Ti4800 SE (8x AGP)
> 400W PSU that came with my Raidmax case.
> (A pair of optical drives, a couple of hard drives, SB Live, etc. etc)
> Viewsonic VE500 (15" LCD)
>

> The Games (I really don't play a wide variety):
> ===================================
> Neverwinter Nights
> Counter-strike
> GTA: Vice City
> Halflife2 (and thus Counter-strike Source) - recently purchased, and
> pushing me to upgrade :)
>

> The Situation:
> ===========
> I'm upgrading to 1024 MB of system RAM (doing some video editing with a DV
> cam, figure the RAM can't hurt), and will have approx $300 (and maybe a
> tad more) left over that I'd like to use on a new video card.
>
> I'm not a bench-marker, or an over-clocking freak (I bow in respect to
> your coolness if you are), but I do like what few games I play to look as
> pristine and beautiful as possible. While Halflife2 and CS: Source are
> playable on 'medium' settings with the Ti4800 SE, I would ideally like to
> play both with most (if not all) of the details and eye candy set to max.
> By playable, I mean I get around 30-50 fps fairly regularly. I play all my
> games in the native resolution of my monitor (1024x768) and I generally
> don't use Anti-aliasing or Anisotropic filtering - though that is because
> it always seems to affect performance negatively. If the card could handle
> it, that'd be sweet.
>
> I've been looking at a few chipsets:
>
> 6600GT - seem to be around $210.00+
> 6800 - "non-ultra?" - I see these for about $275.00+
> 6800GT - seem to be around $350.00+ though I've seen an ASUS for $297.00;
> however it had only 128MB onboard, and from what I've read is slower than
> other 6800GTs
>
> I do value the opinion of those with more experience in these matters.
> Given my needs/wants/system specs, what would you suggest as my next video
> card purchase? Will the 6600GT blow me away? Will the extra money for a
> basic 6800 be well spent? Should I just scrape together the extra cash for
> the 6800GT and risk the wrath of the spouse... (muuwaha) or should I be
> looking at something entirely different?
>
> Thanks in advance. If you have any questions about my expectations or
> system setup, please let me know. I'll check back soon.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Michael (Darius)
> "There can be only one."

January 26, 2005 2:45:55 AM

"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I know this has nothing to do with your question,
> but what raidmax case are you using.

Nothing fancy, just the basic Diamond 228 beige case. And though I said my
PSU 'came with' my case, I should point out that it isn't the normal one. It
is a Sparkle brand.. don't ask me why but that's what the fellow at the shop
packed with the box. *shrug* It seems to do the job. I also have a nifty
blue LED sidefan, just so I can say I have something custom. *smiles*

> Would advise you, but tightwads like me just dream about 3 figure gfx
> cards.
>
> But if you want my opinion, save some cash and get a 6600GT that should
> run most things just fine, although i hear you folks in the states have a
> slight shortage.

Certainly an option, and one I'm considering. You're right about the
shortage - many of the resellers I've checked seem to be out of stock on
their various 6600GT cards.

> Personally i got HL2 to run "alright" on my system which has a gfx card of
> whose name i've been told not to mention as this is an nvidia newsgroup.

Heh.. If another brand will suit my needs better, I'm all ears. My last
three cards have been nVidia (prior to that I was using Diamond Monster
3D... lol), but loyalties can shift if the product is worthwhile.

Thanks for your input.

Michael (Darius)
"There can be only one."
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2005 3:36:39 AM

"DARIUS" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message
news:D VzJd.35$8y3.12992@news.uswest.net...
> Hi all,
>
> The system specs (a homebuilt, but it runs smooth as glass for me):
> ASUS P4PE Mainboard (4x AGP)
> P4 2.4 Ghz
> 512 MB PC2700 / DDR-333
> MSI GeForce4 Ti4800 SE (8x AGP)
> 400W PSU that came with my Raidmax case.
> (A pair of optical drives, a couple of hard drives, SB Live, etc. etc)
> Viewsonic VE500 (15" LCD)
>

> The Games (I really don't play a wide variety):
> ===================================
> Neverwinter Nights
> Counter-strike
> GTA: Vice City
> Halflife2 (and thus Counter-strike Source) - recently purchased, and
> pushing me to upgrade :)

Ok i dont know prices as im in the UK so im going on what youve given me.

6600 GT is a good mid level card and comes in well under budget for you -
maybe treat yourself to a few new games or something with what you save.
Dont listen to the borks who say that all 6600GTs are broken, they are
wrong. Just because some people are having problems and making the problems
known, doesnt mean everyone has problems. I dont post daily saying "my
6800GT works perfectly!!" and neither do most people. The one downside to
the 6600GT, which probably wont bother you, is that you are stuck with what
you've got.
The 6800nu(non ultra) performs better than the 6600GT by a considerable
amount for not much more money. I dont know if you know about this kinda
stuff, but basically the 3 main factors affecting graphics card performance
are clock speeds, pipelines and memory bandwidth. The memory bandwidth is
essential for good AA/AF performance and performance at higher resolutions.
in the 6800 line you have:

the 6800nu with 12 pipelines and DDR1 - usually 128mb
the 6800gt with 16 pipelines and DDR3 (much faster) and a higher clock than
the nu - usually 256
and the 6800ultra which just has higher clock speeds than the gt.

The 128mb asus is a funny one, as it has the slower 128mb memory of the nu,
but with the pipelines and clock of the gt, and because of this it sits
comfortably between the nu and gt in most applications.

Now, onto what i was saying about being stuck with what youve got with the
6600GT. If you get a 6800nu you have the chance of unlocking the extra
pipelines, giving you basically what the 128mb asus has.

My personal reccomendation - go all out and get a 6800gt. Put it off for a
few weeks and set some money aside each week. you wont regret it. Im not an
overclocker either, but my leadtek 6800gt is running comfortably at ultra
speeds, so i basically have a 6800ultra and these things are king of the
pile, silly speeds. My LCD will only go up to 1280x1024 but I can play HL2,
doom 3, far cry all at that res with all the details turned to max, AA and
AF set to max and it doesnt drop a frame.

So its entirely up to how much you are really prepared to spend, and how
future proof you want it to be. You could do a whole lot worse than a
6600gt, but think about spending a bit more and getting something in the
6800 series. Just be thankfull things are so cheap over there, by the time
you take postage into account, i spent close to 300ukp on my 6800gt ($559!)
and a 6800ultra costs at least 350ukp which is $653.
January 26, 2005 3:57:30 AM

"Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "DARIUS" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message
> news:D VzJd.35$8y3.12992@news.uswest.net...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The system specs (a homebuilt, but it runs smooth as glass for me):
>> ASUS P4PE Mainboard (4x AGP)
>> P4 2.4 Ghz
>> 512 MB PC2700 / DDR-333
>> MSI GeForce4 Ti4800 SE (8x AGP)
>> 400W PSU that came with my Raidmax case.
>> (A pair of optical drives, a couple of hard drives, SB Live, etc. etc)
>> Viewsonic VE500 (15" LCD)
>>

>> The Games (I really don't play a wide variety):
>> ===================================
>> Neverwinter Nights
>> Counter-strike
>> GTA: Vice City
>> Halflife2 (and thus Counter-strike Source) - recently purchased, and
>> pushing me to upgrade :)
>>

> Ok i dont know prices as im in the UK so im going on what youve given me.
>
> 6600 GT is a good mid level card and comes in well under budget for you -
> maybe treat yourself to a few new games or something with what you save.
> Dont listen to the borks who say that all 6600GTs are broken, they are
> wrong. Just because some people are having problems and making the
> problems known, doesnt mean everyone has problems.

*nods* Squeaky wheel syndrome.

> I dont post daily saying "my 6800GT works perfectly!!" and neither do most
> people. The one downside to the 6600GT, which probably wont bother you, is
> that you are stuck with what you've got.
> The 6800nu(non ultra) performs better than the 6600GT by a considerable
> amount for not much more money. I dont know if you know about this kinda
> stuff, but basically the 3 main factors affecting graphics card
> performance are clock speeds, pipelines and memory bandwidth. The memory
> bandwidth is essential for good AA/AF performance and performance at
> higher resolutions. in the 6800 line you have:

Alot of this is still foreign, but I'm learning :)

> the 6800nu with 12 pipelines and DDR1 - usually 128mb
> the 6800gt with 16 pipelines and DDR3 (much faster) and a higher clock
> than the nu - usually 256
> and the 6800ultra which just has higher clock speeds than the gt.
>
> The 128mb asus is a funny one, as it has the slower 128mb memory of the
> nu, but with the pipelines and clock of the gt, and because of this it
> sits comfortably between the nu and gt in most applications.

Since I won't be running higher than 1024x768, that might be something to
consider. I wonder how well it can handle AF/AA at that resolution.

> Now, onto what i was saying about being stuck with what youve got with the
> 6600GT. If you get a 6800nu you have the chance of unlocking the extra
> pipelines, giving you basically what the 128mb asus has.

I've read about this recently as well, but it sorta scares me - I wouldn't
want to ruin anything. If I go this route, it sounds like it would be
smarter to pay a little extra for the ASUS, rather than chance failure on a
6800nu.

> My personal reccomendation - go all out and get a 6800gt. Put it off for a
> few weeks and set some money aside each week. you wont regret it. Im not
> an overclocker either, but my leadtek 6800gt is running comfortably at
> ultra speeds, so i basically have a 6800ultra and these things are king of
> the pile, silly speeds. My LCD will only go up to 1280x1024 but I can play
> HL2, doom 3, far cry all at that res with all the details turned to max,
> AA and AF set to max and it doesnt drop a frame.
> So its entirely up to how much you are really prepared to spend, and how
> future proof you want it to be. You could do a whole lot worse than a
> 6600gt, but think about spending a bit more and getting something in the
> 6800 series. Just be thankfull things are so cheap over there, by the time
> you take postage into account, i spent close to 300ukp on my 6800gt
> ($559!) and a 6800ultra costs at least 350ukp which is $653.

The more I read, the more I am leaning toward the 6800GT. I would really
love being able to run some solid AF/AA settings for my games, so I think
I'll definitely stay within the 6800 family. That being said, the 6800GT
seems the best value overall. I may have to save a bit (we'll see if I can
get a steal on RAM lol) but I think it will be worth it.

On a side note, I've been reading a little about the supposedly 'failed'
VPU/Video Processor on the 6800 series cards. As I mentioned, I'm still
fairly new to DV editing (took me nearly all day to learn how to burn an
SVCD). Any word on if it is truly a hardware defect or just something that
is unimplemented within the driver software? Again, this isn't the major
thrust of the upgrade, but the more information I have the better.

Thanks again.

Michael (Darius)
"There can be only one."
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2005 5:51:35 AM

Have to agree on the 6800 GT. Just bought an EVGA brand and have it OC to
6800 Ultra specs - 410/1110 with no problems..

> "DARIUS" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>>{snipped my long winded post}
>>>>

>>>"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Just buy a 6800 Ultra and forget the long winded post.
>>
>> As much as I'd LOVE to be able to purchase that beast, I fear that
>> pushing the $500 mark would, in fact, be beyond my current hardware
>> budget. :(
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion though.
>
> Ok then, 6800GT.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2005 1:22:21 PM

> The more I read, the more I am leaning toward the 6800GT. I would really
> love being able to run some solid AF/AA settings for my games, so I think
> I'll definitely stay within the 6800 family. That being said, the 6800GT
> seems the best value overall. I may have to save a bit (we'll see if I can
> get a steal on RAM lol) but I think it will be worth it.
>
> On a side note, I've been reading a little about the supposedly 'failed'
> VPU/Video Processor on the 6800 series cards. As I mentioned, I'm still
> fairly new to DV editing (took me nearly all day to learn how to burn an
> SVCD). Any word on if it is truly a hardware defect or just something that
> is unimplemented within the driver software? Again, this isn't the major
> thrust of the upgrade, but the more information I have the better.

I havent read anything about that, and certainly havent had a problem with
mine. As i said with the 6600gt, there will always be bad batches and the
people who get them will speak out. At the end of the day, if its faulty
send it back :)

> Thanks again.
>
> Michael (Darius)
> "There can be only one."

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2005 6:24:54 PM

"DARIUS" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message
news:D VzJd.35$8y3.12992@news.uswest.net...

<snippedidoodah>

> I do value the opinion of those with more experience in these matters.
> Given my needs/wants/system specs, what would you suggest as my next video
> card purchase? Will the 6600GT blow me away? Will the extra money for a
> basic 6800 be well spent? Should I just scrape together the extra cash for
> the 6800GT and risk the wrath of the spouse... (muuwaha) or should I be
> looking at something entirely different?
>
> Thanks in advance. If you have any questions about my expectations or
> system setup, please let me know. I'll check back soon.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Michael (Darius)
> "There can be only one."

Here's a comparo between a handful of 6600GT cards... I'm happy to note that
my BFG came out pretty good(heh-heh):

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600...

!bungle
!