MSI 6800 GT DOT

I just got one of these cards. When I use the CD to install the driver it
installs DOT facility which works very well. I did a clean reinstall and
this time used the latest drivers off the MSI site (71.22), but I seemed to
have lost the DOT facility. I tried to load the drivers off the CD hoping
it would just install the DOT facility, but it came up with a message saying
my current driver is newer than the one on the CD.

Anyone know how I can get this feature working using the latest drivers off
MSI's site?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The DOT stays if you just install the later drivers (even Nvidia's reference
drivers) on top of the drivers you originally installed that had DOT.

In other words, install the drivers with DOT. Then install any drivers you
want (MSI's own or Nvidia's) without doing an uninstall. No need to run
uninstall first. The drivers these days know how to take care of everything
on an install.

It works fine that way.

"Mick Vause" <michael.vause@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I just got one of these cards. When I use the CD to install the driver it
> installs DOT facility which works very well. I did a clean reinstall and
> this time used the latest drivers off the MSI site (71.22), but I seemed
> have lost the DOT facility. I tried to load the drivers off the CD hoping
> it would just install the DOT facility, but it came up with a message
saying
> my current driver is newer than the one on the CD.
>
> Anyone know how I can get this feature working using the latest drivers
off
> MSI's site?

Si

You really should use the nVidea drivers as these are the people that make
them and not MSI. Having said that, if you choose to go sdown that path you
probably won't be able to use the DOT facility.......whatever that is??

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
"Mick Vause" <michael.vause@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I just got one of these cards. When I use the CD to install the driver it
>installs DOT facility which works very well. I did a clean reinstall and
>this time used the latest drivers off the MSI site (71.22), but I seemed to
>have lost the DOT facility. I tried to load the drivers off the CD hoping
>it would just install the DOT facility, but it came up with a message
>saying my current driver is newer than the one on the CD.
>
> Anyone know how I can get this feature working using the latest drivers
> off MSI's site?

alex

Mick Vause wrote:

> I just got one of these cards. When I use the CD to install the driver it
> installs DOT facility which works very well. I did a clean reinstall and
> this time used the latest drivers off the MSI site (71.22), but I seemed to
> have lost the DOT facility. I tried to load the drivers off the CD hoping
> it would just install the DOT facility, but it came up with a message saying
> my current driver is newer than the one on the CD.
>
> Anyone know how I can get this feature working using the latest drivers off
> MSI's site?

What is the DOT facility?? Thanks.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dynamic Overclocking Technology.

Basically it allow you to choose from a 1 to 10% overclock -- in 1%
increments. However, unlike other overclocking utilities, this one only
becomes effective during a 3D game. In other words, while I'm typing this
post, my card is not oveclocked. However, when I play a game, it is
overclocked at my setting of 9% (core and memory). I can see this by
quickly looking at the card settings after exiting a game. A few seconds
later, the card settings are back to the default.

This is considered better for hardware health and longevity and heat, etc.

"Alex" <alexchh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mick Vause wrote:
>
> > I just got one of these cards. When I use the CD to install the driver
it
> > installs DOT facility which works very well. I did a clean reinstall and
> > this time used the latest drivers off the MSI site (71.22), but I seemed
> > have lost the DOT facility. I tried to load the drivers off the CD
hoping
> > it would just install the DOT facility, but it came up with a message
saying
> > my current driver is newer than the one on the CD.
> >
> > Anyone know how I can get this feature working using the latest drivers
off
> > MSI's site?
> >

> What is the DOT facility?? Thanks.

mb

"Alex" <alexchh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mick Vause wrote:
>
> > I just got one of these cards. When I use the CD to install the driver
it
> > installs DOT facility which works very well. I did a clean reinstall and
> > this time used the latest drivers off the MSI site (71.22), but I seemed
> > have lost the DOT facility. I tried to load the drivers off the CD
hoping
> > it would just install the DOT facility, but it came up with a message
saying
> > my current driver is newer than the one on the CD.
> >
> > Anyone know how I can get this feature working using the latest drivers
off
> > MSI's site?
> >

> What is the DOT facility?? Thanks.

Its a MSI feature...I think it stands for Dynamic Overclocking Technology.
It works by increasing the clock speed when it detects a rise in temperature
i.e when the card is under load, and drops it back when card is at idle.
Its supposed to only OC the card to a level that is within a decent safety
margin and it works quite well for me, but it just seems a little
risky having the card control the oc'ing. I'm probably just being paranoid
about that though.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You actually control it by :

A. enabling D.O.T.
B. selecting how high you want to overclock by selecting one of the 6
settings (from "private" to "commander") within D.O.T.

The highest setting overclocks by 10%. So you can't really do much damage.

"mb" <.> wrote in message

> Its supposed to only OC the card to a level that is within a decent
safety
> margin and it works quite well for me, but it just seems a little
> risky having the card control the oc'ing. I'm probably just being paranoid
> about that though.

mb

"Eric" <eric@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Dynamic Overclocking Technology.
>
> Basically it allow you to choose from a 1 to 10% overclock -- in 1%
> increments. However, unlike other overclocking utilities, this one only
> becomes effective during a 3D game. In other words, while I'm typing this
> post, my card is not oveclocked. However, when I play a game, it is
> overclocked at my setting of 9% (core and memory). I can see this by
> quickly looking at the card settings after exiting a game. A few seconds
> later, the card settings are back to the default.
>
> This is considered better for hardware health and longevity and heat, etc.

I have to learn to type faster :)
Have you tried the real time graph in riva tuner? That shows the temps and
speeds in a graph form.