Video Card on old P5

Does any one know if a Nvidia TNT2 16MB PCI Video Card will work in an
old Gateway P5 133. I tried two different tnt2 cards, neither had video
and would not awake the monitor out of standby. One was detected by the
computer and I was able to install the drivers, the other one was not. I
have a newer Dell 17" Flat panel monitor hooked up to the computer now.
It works fine with the old Matrox Millennium but will only work in 16bit
color.....would like to find a cheap card that will support 24 or 32bit
color in higher resolutions. Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.
Brad
6 answers Last reply
More about video card

    www.newegg.com has 55 PCI cards listed ranging from $33-$159.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=48&propertycodevalue=696:9642&sortby=22&orderby=0

    In the middle of the price range:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145055

    "Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    > Does any one know if a Nvidia TNT2 16MB PCI Video Card will work in an
    > old Gateway P5 133. I tried two different tnt2 cards, neither had video
    > and would not awake the monitor out of standby. One was detected by the
    > computer and I was able to install the drivers, the other one was not. I
    > have a newer Dell 17" Flat panel monitor hooked up to the computer now.
    > It works fine with the old Matrox Millennium but will only work in 16bit
    > color.....would like to find a cheap card that will support 24 or 32bit
    > color in higher resolutions. Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.
    > Brad

    Yes, but careful! An older P5 system motherboard meets the PCI 2.0 spec. Newer
    cards are often designed for the newer PCI 2.1 spec, and to save development
    costs, they are not tested with PCI 2.0. For my money, I would go with either a
    Matrox or ATI-branded PCI card, obviously with 16MB or more memory.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:37:39 -0400, "Jess" <Jessica@Wyoming.com> wrote:

    >www.newegg.com has 55 PCI cards listed ranging from $33-$159.
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=48&propertycodevalue=696:9642&sortby=22&orderby=0
    >
    >In the middle of the price range:
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145055
    >

    >"Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    >> Does any one know if a Nvidia TNT2 16MB PCI Video Card will work in an
    >> old Gateway P5 133. I tried two different tnt2 cards, neither had video
    >> and would not awake the monitor out of standby. One was detected by the
    >> computer and I was able to install the drivers, the other one was not. I
    >> have a newer Dell 17" Flat panel monitor hooked up to the computer now.
    >> It works fine with the old Matrox Millennium but will only work in 16bit
    >> color.....would like to find a cheap card that will support 24 or 32bit
    >> color in higher resolutions. Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.
    >> Brad

    I dug out he old motherboard manual and it states the MB fully supports
    PCI 2.1 specifications....The only thing I cant find is the MB Model
    number. I have never updated the original 1.00.01cnot bios, and the only
    thing I can find at the Gateway site is V 1.00.03 CNOT & revision
    1.00.07 DQ0T. Is there any other bios updates I should consider?....

    Brad

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Yes, but careful! An older P5 system motherboard meets the PCI 2.0 spec. Newer
    > cards are often designed for the newer PCI 2.1 spec, and to save development
    > costs, they are not tested with PCI 2.0. For my money, I would go with either a
    > Matrox or ATI-branded PCI card, obviously with 16MB or more memory.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:37:39 -0400, "Jess" <Jessica@Wyoming.com> wrote:
    >

    >>www.newegg.com has 55 PCI cards listed ranging from $33-$159.
    >>
    >>http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=48&propertycodevalue=696:9642&sortby=22&orderby=0
    >>
    >>In the middle of the price range:
    >>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145055
    >>

    >>"Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Does any one know if a Nvidia TNT2 16MB PCI Video Card will work in an
    >>>old Gateway P5 133. I tried two different tnt2 cards, neither had video
    >>>and would not awake the monitor out of standby. One was detected by the
    >>>computer and I was able to install the drivers, the other one was not. I
    >>>have a newer Dell 17" Flat panel monitor hooked up to the computer now.
    >>>It works fine with the old Matrox Millennium but will only work in 16bit
    >>>color.....would like to find a cheap card that will support 24 or 32bit
    >>>color in higher resolutions. Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>Brad

    1.00.03 CN0T is the latest and last BIOS update. The upgrade may help, but
    compliance to a given level of PCI spec is a hardware thing. If the PCI card is
    made strictly to the PCI 2.2 spec, it simply may not work.

    The official Intel name for the motherboard is Advanced/ATX. The Intel code
    name for the board is Thor... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:43:52 -0400, Brad <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote:

    >I dug out he old motherboard manual and it states the MB fully supports
    >PCI 2.1 specifications....The only thing I cant find is the MB Model
    >number. I have never updated the original 1.00.01cnot bios, and the only
    >thing I can find at the Gateway site is V 1.00.03 CNOT & revision
    >1.00.07 DQ0T. Is there any other bios updates I should consider?....
    >
    >Brad
    >
    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Yes, but careful! An older P5 system motherboard meets the PCI 2.0 spec. Newer
    >> cards are often designed for the newer PCI 2.1 spec, and to save development
    >> costs, they are not tested with PCI 2.0. For my money, I would go with either a
    >> Matrox or ATI-branded PCI card, obviously with 16MB or more memory.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:37:39 -0400, "Jess" <Jessica@Wyoming.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>www.newegg.com has 55 PCI cards listed ranging from $33-$159.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=48&propertycodevalue=696:9642&sortby=22&orderby=0
    >>>
    >>>In the middle of the price range:
    >>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145055
    >>>

    >>>"Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message

    The MB has a 133 pentium chip on it now, an I want to pick up a cheap
    166mhz chip off of ebay, however most are MMX chips, will a MMX chip
    work with this old board? I dont think I can go with anything higher
    than a 166, can I?
    Brad

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > 1.00.03 CN0T is the latest and last BIOS update. The upgrade may help, but
    > compliance to a given level of PCI spec is a hardware thing. If the PCI card is
    > made strictly to the PCI 2.2 spec, it simply may not work.
    >
    > The official Intel name for the motherboard is Advanced/ATX. The Intel code
    > name for the board is Thor... Ben Myers

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Brad wrote:
    > The MB has a 133 pentium chip on it now, an I want to pick up a cheap
    > 166mhz chip off of ebay, however most are MMX chips, will a MMX chip
    > work with this old board? I dont think I can go with anything higher
    > than a 166, can I?
    > Brad

    No, you can't use the MMX chip. You are also not going to see much of a
    jump going from 133 to 166. You could use an Intel or Powerleap
    Overdrive to get 200mhz. But, it really isn't worth the time or money.

    Mellow

    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    >> 1.00.03 CN0T is the latest and last BIOS update. The upgrade may
    >> help, but
    >> compliance to a given level of PCI spec is a hardware thing. If the
    >> PCI card is
    >> made strictly to the PCI 2.2 spec, it simply may not work.
    >>
    >> The official Intel name for the motherboard is Advanced/ATX. The
    >> Intel code
    >> name for the board is Thor... Ben Myers

Gateway Graphics Cards Computers Product