Using Nvidias or manufactures drivers?

Hi,

Is there any benefits in using manufactures drivers as opposed to nvidias
drivers? Will nvidias drivers allow me to see the temperature on the card,
control fan speed according to temperature, and overclock? Specifically I'm
interested if I should use Leadteks driver + WinFox2 or Forceware 67.66 -
wouldn't like forceware if it means that the fan goes at full speed all the
time:)

/Mikael

Mikael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any benefits in using manufactures drivers as opposed to nvidias
> drivers? Will nvidias drivers allow me to see the temperature on the card,
> control fan speed according to temperature, and overclock? Specifically I'm
> interested if I should use Leadteks driver + WinFox2 or Forceware 67.66 -
> wouldn't like forceware if it means that the fan goes at full speed all the
> time:)
>
> /Mikael

No real benefit. Normally they're just rebranded copies of newer driver
sets released through the developer program. Or in some cases versions
of the same driver that later is WHQL certified.

A few manufacturers have overclocking utilities bundled with them (like
Leadtek), but otherwise they're the same. The only thing you'll want to
verify is what version your manufacturer is using. Often they have
their own version numbers, different from NVIDIA's. Sometimes you'll
get a newer set that your OEM has deemed stable before NVIDIA.

steeda

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"Mikael" <none> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there any benefits in using manufactures drivers as opposed to nvidias
> drivers? Will nvidias drivers allow me to see the temperature on the card,
> control fan speed according to temperature, and overclock? Specifically
> I'm
> interested if I should use Leadteks driver + WinFox2 or Forceware 67.66 -
> wouldn't like forceware if it means that the fan goes at full speed all
> the
> time:)
>
> /Mikael

Manufacturers don't write drivers. They take NVIDIA's driver and add "utils"
and logo them.

If your video card supports this feature, nvidia's drivers allow you to
see the temperature. You could also enable the clock frequency settings
via the Coolbits registry entry, even when Winfox not installed.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the fan speed via Winfox II with my
Leadtek cards using nvidia's drivers (FX5600 before and A6600 GT TDH
now).

There is another utility called NVTweak which I didn't use yet. I don't
know if this utility has a display option for fan speed.