Completed the story missions today

Last response: in Video Games
August 8, 2005 2:03:44 AM

Now I'm on about 75% of the game completed according to the stats. I have no
intention of trying for 100% but want to carry on playing for a while.
What "non-storyline" bits are worth going for?

I want to go for all of the gang territories for the challenge and buy all
the properties for the sake of it.
What else should I do?
What unlocks the cooler features?

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:03:45 AM

Depending on if you are a racing type of persons, I think the LS races
and aircraft checkpoint courses (found in the LV airport) are pretty
cool. I hate the Chiliad challenges though.

Actually, I found out of the "non-mandatory" story missions, Zeros are
the funniest (though hated by many gamers). But I think @ 75% upon
completion you have probably done that.

I actually spent (quite some) time finishing the export of all 3 lists,
even before I finish the story just for the good money, and the fun is
just about driving around, checking out cars.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:03:45 AM

Yeah there is lots and lots to do.

The story missions prob. comprise 2/3 of SA and I'm being generous.

Have you dated all the women? Done the triathalons? Air races? Dirt
bike races? Quarry? Truckers?

Some are downright boring. I have no problems doing the HotRing and car
races but dating women is the most zero cost/benefit thing in the game.

T.
August 8, 2005 1:51:47 PM

In message <3lnb9vF136jn0U1@individual.net>
"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

> What unlocks the cooler features?

The reward for 100% completion (Infinite ammo) is worth it alone I'd
say. My favourite weapon (The minigun) chews up a LOT of ammo, and I
find it quite a time consuming PITA to go round collecting all these
rounds again.

Cheers,
Rob
August 8, 2005 1:56:08 PM

In message <1123470732.629144.43950@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
tlai909@visto.com wrote:

> Have you dated all the women? Done the triathalons? Air races? Dirt
> bike races? Quarry? Truckers?

The Quarry missions got me REALLY pissed off on occasions. There's one
particular with the dead cop and his bike on the back of a Dumper I
could only pass by driving backwards.

It was frustrating doing this over and over again, but I blame the
games physics (Objects, especially vehicles don't have any "friction"
and slide off).

> Some are downright boring. I have no problems doing the HotRing and car
> races but dating women is the most zero cost/benefit thing in the game.

I left maxing out all the girlfriend progress to the end. Just the
reward for dating them, Katie and Michelle, is good enough for me.

Cheers,
Rob
August 8, 2005 3:28:35 PM

In article <aa3121974d.Rob@aqus02.dsl.pipex.com>,
Rob White <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>The Quarry missions got me REALLY pissed off on occasions. There's one
>particular with the dead cop and his bike on the back of a Dumper I
>could only pass by driving backwards.

The Quarry missions feel like "Friday afternoon" missions to me, as in they
give the impression that they were implemented on a Friday afternoon when
someone was keen to get out to the pub. The "storyline" that they follow
seems to lack attention to detail, and the missions are irritatingly
constrained (silly justifications for having to use various vehicles, do
various stunts, etc.).
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:02:42 PM

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> In message <1123470732.629144.43950@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
> tlai909@visto.com wrote:
>
>> Have you dated all the women? Done the triathalons? Air races? Dirt
>> bike races? Quarry? Truckers?
>
> The Quarry missions got me REALLY pissed off on occasions. There's one
> particular with the dead cop and his bike on the back of a Dumper I
> could only pass by driving backwards.
>
> It was frustrating doing this over and over again, but I blame the
> games physics (Objects, especially vehicles don't have any "friction"
> and slide off).

I found that one difficult first go through the game, but for me the problem
was getting the cop and bike into the truck using the crane, which didn't
seem to work as expected. The secret with the dumper is not to hit anything,
which is what makes the things in the back slide off. Driving fast up the
slopes seems to be no problem, as long as you don't hit anything.

I got a bizzarre insane stunt bonus while doing the mission where you drive
the explosive barrels to the airstrip. I was driving along the bit of desert
south of the runway and knocked over a cactus, didn't leave the ground or
get knocked off course or anything, but I got the message "Double Insane
Stunt Bonus $1739 - 6263ft, height 76ft, Flips 0, Rotation 738 degrees",
which I have been unable to repeat, so must be some sort of one-off glitch.

I did enjoy playing about with the quarry vehicles after finishing the
missions. The bulldozer is particularly good for pushing cop bikes over
cliffs and into the sea, and the dumper can be very destructive.

Rob
August 8, 2005 9:59:13 PM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:02:42 +0000, Rob Lancaster wrote:

> I got a bizzarre insane stunt bonus while doing the mission where you
> drive the explosive barrels to the airstrip. I was driving along the bit
> of desert south of the runway and knocked over a cactus, didn't leave the
> ground or get knocked off course or anything, but I got the message
> "Double Insane Stunt Bonus $1739 - 6263ft, height 76ft, Flips 0, Rotation
> 738 degrees", which I have been unable to repeat, so must be some sort of
> one-off glitch.

the same thing happened to me but it was when i actually dumped the
explosive drums on the airfield... the dumper truck started shaking
violently and i thought the drums were going to explode.

i got a bonus instead :-)

Maximum INSANE Jump distance 6263.33ft
Maximum INSANE Jump height 28
Maximum INSANE Jump flips 0
Maximum INSANE Jump rotation 1136ยบ

http://www.thegtaplace.com/sastats/index.php?user=bryan...
August 10, 2005 5:07:39 AM

bryan wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:02:42 +0000, Rob Lancaster wrote:
>

>>I got a bizzarre insane stunt bonus while doing the mission where you
>>drive the explosive barrels to the airstrip. I was driving along the bit
>>of desert south of the runway and knocked over a cactus, didn't leave the
>>ground or get knocked off course or anything, but I got the message
>>"Double Insane Stunt Bonus $1739 - 6263ft, height 76ft, Flips 0, Rotation
>>738 degrees", which I have been unable to repeat, so must be some sort of
>>one-off glitch.
> the same thing happened to me but it was when i actually dumped the
> explosive drums on the airfield... the dumper truck started shaking
> violently and i thought the drums were going to explode.

Is there a list anywhere of the stupid stuff you can do in SA (not the
in-game bits such as the jumps etc.)? The walkthroughs I've found just
list the missions etc. What is a fun but pointless/stupid things to do
in the SA universe? What is a good way to die?

Cheers
Jimbo
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:03:40 PM

In message <ddbk0r$2rs$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
Jimbo <jimbo@notexist.domain.com> wrote:

> Is there a list anywhere of the stupid stuff you can do in SA (not the
> in-game bits such as the jumps etc.)? The walkthroughs I've found just
> list the missions etc. What is a fun but pointless/stupid things to do
> in the SA universe? What is a good way to die?

The secrets FAQ on gamefaqs.com is a near-exhaustive list of fun things
and glitches and things to do in SA.

One of my favourite ways to make CJ bite the dust is to jump of Mt.
Chiliad on an FCR-900 bike. Or, try doing a unique jump to get the
cinematic slow-mo camera mode and corkscrew the air like James Bond.

Cheers,
Rob
August 15, 2005 11:10:13 AM

I died first time when I tried that on the PC, I thought they had
changed the falling physics. Seems I was just unlucky, as I have tried
again since then.

The most annoying thing about the tallest building in LS is that it has
a helipad on top that only contains a helicopter when CJ flies up to
it... IN a helicopter.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:33:40 PM

> Is there a list anywhere of the stupid stuff you can do in SA (not the
> in-game bits such as the jumps etc.)? The walkthroughs I've found just
> list the missions etc. What is a fun but pointless/stupid things to do in
> the SA universe? What is a good way to die?

I like bringing a motorbike (or even better, a bicycle) on top of that tall
building in Los Santos and jumping off--no parachute, and you don't die.
Mildly amusing for about 5 minutes. :-)
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:35:46 PM

The tallest building in LS can take a bike (motor or pedal) onto the
roof. Just ride onto the entry arrow.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:17:40 PM

> > Is there a list anywhere of the stupid stuff you can do in SA (not the
> > in-game bits such as the jumps etc.)? The walkthroughs I've found just
> > list the missions etc. What is a fun but pointless/stupid things to do
in
> > the SA universe? What is a good way to die?
>
> I like bringing a motorbike (or even better, a bicycle) on top of that
tall
> building in Los Santos and jumping off--no parachute, and you don't die.
> Mildly amusing for about 5 minutes. :-)

I'll have to try that. I was slightly amused at "doing an ET" off Mt Chiliad
(riding a BMX in thin air). Took about 20 seconds to get to the ground
because I hit two paths on the way down (probably needed a bigger run up).

But yep - Bike was unaffected (not even buckled wheels) and didn't lose any
health. Weird.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:30:23 PM

In message <BMOdnYpZZcAkBJ3eRVn-2A@magma.ca>
"Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> I like bringing a motorbike (or even better, a bicycle) on top of that tall
> building in Los Santos and jumping off--no parachute, and you don't die.
> Mildly amusing for about 5 minutes. :-)

Cool! Which tall building though? I don't seem to remember being able
to take a bike into a yellow entry arrow.

Cheers,
Rob