Security question

I work for a top secret government facility that does lots of
engineering and cad work. And 2 of there applications need seperate
hardware acceleration settings in windows in order for them to work.
unfortunatly we can not give the end users admin rights for various
legal reasons. Due to this they can not change the settings. Is there
a way to change user rights so that normal domain users can change the
hardware acceleration settings w/out giving them elevated permissions
to the system?

I'm totally stumped and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

windows xp. were just do government work, and have a RD department
that has access to top secret stuff. were not a real governmetn
facility :) heh.

Use tax money and hire someone! lol

All kidding aside, it would help if you stated os? I'm assuming unix,
but I could be wrong...

drstrangenorm@gmail.com wrote:
> I work for a top secret government facility that does lots of
> engineering and cad work. And 2 of there applications need seperate
> hardware acceleration settings in windows in order for them to work.
> unfortunatly we can not give the end users admin rights for various
> legal reasons. Due to this they can not change the settings. Is there
> a way to change user rights so that normal domain users can change the
> hardware acceleration settings w/out giving them elevated permissions
> to the system?
>
> I'm totally stumped and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

What sort of servers are you running?

John

<drstrangenorm@gmail.com> wrote in message
> windows xp. were just do government work, and have a RD department
> that has access to top secret stuff. were not a real governmetn
> facility :) heh.

It might be worth a call to Microsoft as to the best way. There may be a way
ro do it with Group policy.

> windows 2000 sp 4

drstrangenorm@gmail.com wrote:
> I work for a top secret government facility that does lots of
> engineering and cad work. And 2 of there applications need seperate
> hardware acceleration settings in windows in order for them to work.
> unfortunatly we can not give the end users admin rights for various
> legal reasons. Due to this they can not change the settings. Is
> there a way to change user rights so that normal domain users can
> change the hardware acceleration settings w/out giving them elevated
> permissions to the system?

Talk to your MCSE. He'll be able to write a script in about 2 minutes.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:29:36 -0700, "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com>
wrote:

>drstrangenorm@gmail.com wrote:
>> I work for a top secret government facility that does lots of
>> engineering and cad work. And 2 of there applications need seperate
>> hardware acceleration settings in windows in order for them to work.
>> unfortunatly we can not give the end users admin rights for various
>> legal reasons. Due to this they can not change the settings. Is
>> there a way to change user rights so that normal domain users can
>> change the hardware acceleration settings w/out giving them elevated
>> permissions to the system?
>
>Talk to your MCSE. He'll be able to write a script in about 2 minutes.

Better yet, the OP had better talk to his Facility Security Officer
first. Mucking about with with workstations set up to handle TS material
without getting the blessing of the FSO and DISCO first is a good way to
(a) have the facility's clearance pulled, (b) have one's personal
clearance terminated, and (c) become unemployed.

Since any real "top secret government facility that does lots of
engineering and cad work" wil have procedures in place for this and
ANYONE with access to those machines should be very aware of the
correct procedures, the OP's question seems... rather odd.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

drstrangenorm@gmail.com wrote:

> I work for a top secret government facility that does lots of
> engineering and cad work. And 2 of there applications need seperate
> hardware acceleration settings in windows in order for them to work.
> unfortunatly we can not give the end users admin rights for various
> legal reasons. Due to this they can not change the settings. Is there
> a way to change user rights so that normal domain users can change the
> hardware acceleration settings w/out giving them elevated permissions
> to the system?
>
> I'm totally stumped and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

This is one of those situations in which one digs deep into the registry,
finds any keys that need to be altered, grant the user permission to those
keys (it's not generally realized that individual keys in the registry have
security settings) and write a script that alters just those keys. If you
have a Novell server and Zenworks it can help in figuring this out. System
Management Server might have similar capabilities--I've never played with
it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

How about having two hardware profiles?

DaveL

>I work for a top secret government facility that does lots of
> engineering and cad work. And 2 of there applications need seperate
> hardware acceleration settings in windows in order for them to work.
> unfortunatly we can not give the end users admin rights for various
> legal reasons. Due to this they can not change the settings. Is there
> a way to change user rights so that normal domain users can change the
> hardware acceleration settings w/out giving them elevated permissions
> to the system?
>
> I'm totally stumped and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The nVidia driver panels have a "profile manager", which allows you to use
application-specific settings for each executable you define. You will have
to know what settings you want for each app ahead of time, though. The user
will have no control of the settings; the settings only change with the
launch and closing of each app.