Dual monitors on Dell/Nvidia Quadro FX 500?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I have here a Dell Precision 360 with a Dell/Nvidia Quadro FX 500
graphics card, running Windows XP Pro (sp1). Dell's website
(http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/video/p56496/en/intro.htm) seems
to indicate that the card is dual-head capable (and it has separate DVI
and VGA connectors), as does NVidia's (although the latter note a
disclaimer saying that if it's an OEM card you should check with the
distributor, which in this case is Dell).

Anyway, I've loaded the latest drivers from Nvidia, but the display
control panel does not show the option to enable a second monitor.
While I have not yet connected a second monitor (my main monitor is
connected to the VGA port), I can't imagine the card is waiting to
detect it, is it? Since some (older) monitors, or those connected using
a VGA->5BNC cable, will not send any signal back to the card. I can't
test connecting a second screen yet since I don't currently have a
DVI->VGA connector.
So what's going on? Anything I can do here?

Thanks,

Steve

"Steve" <swechsler@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I have here a Dell Precision 360 with a Dell/Nvidia Quadro FX 500
> graphics card, running Windows XP Pro (sp1). Dell's website
> (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/video/p56496/en/intro.htm) seems
> to indicate that the card is dual-head capable (and it has separate DVI
> and VGA connectors), as does NVidia's (although the latter note a
> disclaimer saying that if it's an OEM card you should check with the
> distributor, which in this case is Dell).
>
> Anyway, I've loaded the latest drivers from Nvidia, but the display
> control panel does not show the option to enable a second monitor.
> While I have not yet connected a second monitor (my main monitor is
> connected to the VGA port), I can't imagine the card is waiting to
> detect it, is it? Since some (older) monitors, or those connected using
> a VGA->5BNC cable, will not send any signal back to the card. I can't
> test connecting a second screen yet since I don't currently have a
> DVI->VGA connector.
> So what's going on? Anything I can do here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

I don't have your configuration, but my ATI card IS aware if a second
monitor is attached. Just a thought.

Tom

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Both my ATI and nVidia rigs detect if there's "something" attached.