Device to quiet down PC?

I have a Gateway G6-450 desktop PC, purchased in Jan. 1999. It's a
decent old machine, but the fans, or something inside of it, is rather
noisy. While shopping at Circuit City recently, I came upon this little
item:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-PC-Noise-Killer-Kit-75006-/sem/rpsm/oid/80206/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Anyone care to speculate if this would work with my Gateway and if it
would make a noticeable difference in the noise emanating from the computer?
5 answers Last reply
More about device quiet

    I just read the customer reviews for this Noise-Killer kit. Apparently
    it doesn't do a very good job, and one guy complained his computer was
    running 10 degrees hotter now.

    "History Fan" <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Gateway G6-450 desktop PC, purchased in Jan. 1999. It's a
    > decent old machine, but the fans, or something inside of it, is rather
    > noisy. While shopping at Circuit City recently, I came upon this little
    > item:
    >
    > http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-PC-Noise-Killer-Kit-75006-/sem/rpsm/oid/80206/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    >
    > Anyone care to speculate if this would work with my Gateway and if it
    > would make a noticeable difference in the noise emanating from the
    > computer?

    not sure how adding a gasket or two will raise the temp 10 degrees. i
    wouldn't put that much faith in his report.

    you need to isolate the cause of the noise. after that, we can talk
    solutions.

    > I just read the customer reviews for this Noise-Killer kit.
    Apparently
    > it doesn't do a very good job, and one guy complained his computer was
    > running 10 degrees hotter now.
    >
    > "History Fan" <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a Gateway G6-450 desktop PC, purchased in Jan. 1999. It's a
    > > decent old machine, but the fans, or something inside of it, is rather
    > > noisy. While shopping at Circuit City recently, I came upon this little
    > > item:

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-PC-Noise-Killer-Kit-75006-/sem/rpsm/oid/80206/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    > > Anyone care to speculate if this would work with my Gateway and if
    it
    > > would make a noticeable difference in the noise emanating from the
    > > computer?

    The most likely culprits are the PSU fan, Case fan (if you have one),
    CPU fan, HDD. in that order. The easiest to fix are Case fan, CPU fan, PSU
    fan (by replacing the PSU), HDD (by replacing it as well. An alternative is
    to locate the entire PC so that the case (CPU, Drives, etc.) is isolated
    from your work area. DO NOT place them in an enclosed space unless it has
    it's own fan to ensure that there is sufficient airflow cool the entire
    system.

    Just by luck my desk is deep enough to let my case set far enough back
    that the desk it's self blocks out much of the noise. It also puts the
    intake vents about 3 inches from the A/C-Heating vent so I know it's going
    to stay cool inside during the summer. Come winter I'll move it over a
    little to distance it a bit more from the then heat vent.

    KC

    "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com> wrote in message
    > not sure how adding a gasket or two will raise the temp 10 degrees. i
    > wouldn't put that much faith in his report.
    >
    > you need to isolate the cause of the noise. after that, we can talk
    > solutions.
    >
    > "History Fan" <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > I just read the customer reviews for this Noise-Killer kit.
    > Apparently
    > > it doesn't do a very good job, and one guy complained his computer was
    > > running 10 degrees hotter now.
    > >
    > > "History Fan" <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a Gateway G6-450 desktop PC, purchased in Jan. 1999. It's
    > > > decent old machine, but the fans, or something inside of it, is rather
    > > > noisy. While shopping at Circuit City recently, I came upon this
    little
    > > > item:

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-PC-Noise-Killer-Kit-75006-/sem/rpsm/oid/80206/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    > > > Anyone care to speculate if this would work with my Gateway and if
    > it
    > > > would make a noticeable difference in the noise emanating from the
    > > > computer?

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 10:51:56 -0400, "History Fan"
    <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote:

    > I have a Gateway G6-450 desktop PC, purchased in Jan. 1999. It's a
    >decent old machine, but the fans, or something inside of it, is rather
    >noisy. While shopping at Circuit City recently, I came upon this little
    >item:
    >http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-PC-Noise-Killer-Kit-75006-/sem/rpsm/oid/80206/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    You didn't really mention what type of noise (fan flow noise or
    vibrational noise). However, since you are looking at those
    "Gaskets", I assume you are talking about vibrational noise.

    My experience over the years has been that some fans, especially the
    ones that come with the conglomerate mass produced boxes will and do
    become noisier both in flow noise and in vibrational noise as they get
    older. They are wearing out. Cheap fans, like the ones already in
    there, are a dime a dozen to replace usually or one can replace them
    with ultra quiet fans that run around $10-$20 each which have blade
    configurations that do not lend to making the usual air flow noise
    associated with cheaper fans plus they have better bearing
    configurations on the shafts lending to longer life and less apt to
    getting shaft wobble which lends to vibrational noise. They also
    supply a lot more CFM for the buck than the cheap ones that are in the
    mass produced boxes.

    I remember my last GW desktop which was from 1999. It had a fan
    blowing into the PS and a fan blowing out of the PS into a cone that
    directed the hot PS air onto the Processor Chip. Some genius in
    Taiwanese thought that blowing heated up air from the PS onto the
    processor would be enough to cool it. My white boxes since getting
    away from Taiwanese boxes with Gateway painted on them has been to run
    many fans. My latest has a fan cooling the PS which, by the way, does
    not spill its hot into the case. It is vented outside the case. Then
    there is a fan on the Processor and a smaller one on the video card's
    processor. Then there are 4 case fans, one blowing in at the front,
    one blowing in at the side and two blowing out at the back.

    Okay, everyone says that this must be a noisy system with all those
    fans but it isn't because they are "quiet" fans plus high CFM models
    to boot and only cost an average of $12 each (the CPU fan came with
    the CPU). Also, the case fans and processor fan run at different RPMs
    according to what the CPU and inside case temp is. So, most of the
    time, they are only running about half their normal RPM.

    Kevin is also right in that one should never put a system in those
    computer desk enclosures because you cut down on air flow. My
    computer desk has one of these and if I were to put any of my boxes it
    there, I would have no more than 1" on each side and not more than 2"
    at the back if the box is pulled all the way to the front where it
    touches the door when it closes. Another design by total imbeciles
    without a reasonable facsimile of a clue.

    Don't spend money on gaskets, spend it on "Quiet" blade, High CFM,
    enhanced bearing fans. They don't cost all that much and give you
    tons more performance for the buck than the cheapo base line junk fans
    that came with the system. I think a Google search on "ultra quiet
    computer fans" should get you going.....

    Regards,

    There are four primary causes of noise inside a computer:
    1. Power supply fan (replace power supply, or maybe clean it out with compressed
    air)
    2. Processor cooling fan, if any (replace or clean with compressed air)
    3. Cooling fan mounted on chassis, if any (replace or clean with compressed air)
    4. Hard drive (run diagnostics to see if drive is failing. If drive is making a
    whining noise, the bearings are starting to go, so replace, even if diagnostics
    indicate no problems.)

    Some brands of computers, notably IBM and Dell, mount both chassis cooling fans
    and/or hard drive on rubber grommets, rather than screws, to dampen vibration
    induced in the computer chassis... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 10:51:56 -0400, "History Fan"
    <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote:

    > I have a Gateway G6-450 desktop PC, purchased in Jan. 1999. It's a
    >decent old machine, but the fans, or something inside of it, is rather
    >noisy. While shopping at Circuit City recently, I came upon this little
    >item:
    >
    >http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-PC-Noise-Killer-Kit-75006-/sem/rpsm/oid/80206/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    >
    > Anyone care to speculate if this would work with my Gateway and if it
    >would make a noticeable difference in the noise emanating from the computer?

Gateway Devices Computers