LG Working on a Mouse/Scanner Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
Why the ad only shows that is not wireless at the end? Not cool... How I am supposed to spin that like it's shown with the wire?

And finally, good point jacobdrj...

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Wireless my foot. Think about it. Because of the bright light the battery probably won't last for very long. But it is an interesting concept, though. Sure took them long enough... To be honest, I was expecting some other company to go forth with something like this. Hmph. Maybe they didn't wanna take any chances... Like those pens that used to record what was written. Those never really took off.

Oh, well. A simple camera (5mp minimum) should do the trick for OCR-ing. I even tried my Samsung mobile phone from 2007 (3 mp) by taking a pic of a test at school and the OCR went surprisingly well.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Doesn't matter. I'm sure Apple owns the patent for their technology. Que lawsuit in 3...2...[/citation]

Apple's 'Having a camera/imaging device integrated into a non-phone device' patent?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Wireless my foot. Think about it. Because of the bright light the battery probably won't last for very long. But it is an interesting concept, though. Sure took them long enough... To be honest, I was expecting some other company to go forth with something like this. Hmph. Maybe they didn't wanna take any chances... Like those pens that used to record what was written. Those never really took off.Oh, well. A simple camera (5mp minimum) should do the trick for OCR-ing. I even tried my Samsung mobile phone from 2007 (3 mp) by taking a pic of a test at school and the OCR went surprisingly well.[/citation]
If powered either by a Lithium Ion battery or by some hybrid NiMH batteries, I think the mouse will do just fine (assuming LED light and standard Bluetooth data transfer.)

Wasn't too long ago we saw similar technology in the "Design" section. Looked like a rectangular shaped piece of acrylic that used a mirror or something to reflect the image to its CCD sensor or something, allowing it scan. So similar in that its a scanner that fits into the palm of your hand. I rank it as "neat".

Hmm....Hand held scanners are nothing new. A friend of mine had one about 20 years sgo. The problem was trying to move the scanner in a perfectly straight line. If your hand was not rock steady the resulting image was not very good. I wonder if LG solved that problem.

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Hmm....Hand held scanners are nothing new. A friend of mine had one about 20 years sgo. The problem was trying to move the scanner in a perfectly straight line. If your hand was not rock steady the resulting image was not very good. I wonder if LG solved that problem.[/citation]
Thats the same thing I was going to mention. I actually had a logitech handheld scanner back in the day of parrallel ports and 386 computers. It was near impossible to keep it steady enough to scan large documents. Although I did once successfully scan a 24x36 poster. You don't want to know how many hours that took. I am definately sceptical about the advertisement. How many times have we seen art renedered commercials for products that couldn't live up to the claims. The depiction of scanning the book is a big "?". The depication shows it ignoring the binding of the book and perfectly rendering the image. I find that hard to believe. Although if it can live up to the claims, I'll eat my metaphorical hat and buy one just beacause I yelled bullshit. Bring on the live demo.

zagitta

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jcaulley_74[/nom]Thats the same thing I was going to mention. I actually had a logitech handheld scanner back in the day of parrallel ports and 386 computers. It was near impossible to keep it steady enough to scan large documents. Although I did once successfully scan a 24x36 poster. You don't want to know how many hours that took. I am definately sceptical about the advertisement. How many times have we seen art renedered commercials for products that couldn't live up to the claims. The depiction of scanning the book is a big "?". The depication shows it ignoring the binding of the book and perfectly rendering the image. I find that hard to believe. Although if it can live up to the claims, I'll eat my metaphorical hat and buy one just beacause I yelled bullshit. Bring on the live demo.[/citation]

Actually that's a relatively easy problem to solve when it's integrated in a mouse :) these days the sensors are so precise that it shouldn't be a problem to offset each part of the image accordingly to the previous part.
In fact how else would they know what way the scanner is moving and when you start capturing the next "line"? :)

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]We had these 15 years ago, minus the mouse part. They sucked. That's why everybody wanted flatbed scanners.[/citation]

If this was wireless and I wasn't already finished with college, I would certainly buy one of these. I can't tell you how many times I wish I could have scanned a paper, or text book pages, homework, or something similar while in class. Technology has changed, your smart phones today are more powerful than your best home PC 15 years ago. Not to mention, my smart phone can take panoramic pictures by stitching them together in real time. Something like this would be much easier on a less graphic intense process of scanning text and simple graphical pages and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.