what's the difference 440, 4000, 5200

I want to buy either a fx440, 4000, or 5200. All are 8Xagp and all are 128
mb. All are about $43. What is the difference? Which should I buy?
I am using a 600 pentium 3.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"onthefrontline" <dontuwish@itsamind.thg> wrote in message
>I want to buy either a fx440, 4000, or 5200. All are 8Xagp and all are 128
>mb. All are about $43. What is the difference? Which should I buy?
> I am using a 600 pentium 3.

fx440 and 4000? surely you mean MX4400 and MX4000?
The FX5200 is the best out of them, but none of them are much good

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> 5200
>

> "onthefrontline" <dontuwish@itsamind.thg> wrote in message
>>I want to buy either a fx440, 4000, or 5200. All are 8Xagp and all are
>>128 mb. All are about $43. What is the difference? Which should I buy?
>> I am using a 600 pentium 3.

Your motherboard likely only supports 4x AGP. The GF4 4000 wasn't a
bad card, it superseded the GF4 MX-440. The FX5200 is a low-end card,
not suitable for games. I'd suggest you look at a card with at least
128 meg DDR Ram and one that supports Direct X 9.0c. The cartds you
mention are fine for playing DVD's and kids games. For real 3D with
high frame rates you need to go to a more expensive card, but I fear
the motherboard is a big limiting factor in what you can achieve.

Cheers, Peter

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:56:00 GMT, "onthefrontline"

"Peter Perros" <wspc@ozconnect.net> wrote in message
> Your motherboard likely only supports 4x AGP. The GF4 4000 wasn't a
> bad card, it superseded the GF4 MX-440. The FX5200 is a low-end card,
> not suitable for games. I'd suggest you look at a card with at least
> 128 meg DDR Ram and one that supports Direct X 9.0c. The cartds you
> mention are fine for playing DVD's and kids games. For real 3D with
> high frame rates you need to go to a more expensive card, but I fear
> the motherboard is a big limiting factor in what you can achieve.

motherboard, processor and more than likely memory and hard drive too. I
doubt he wants to play doom 3 and HL2 with a system like that

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:56:00 +0000, onthefrontline wrote:

> I want to buy either a fx440, 4000, or 5200. All are 8Xagp and all are 128
> mb. All are about $43. What is the difference? Which should I buy?
> I am using a 600 pentium 3.

i would go for a geforce 4200ti if possible, far superior card and you can
get ones with vivo cheap if you dont mind hitting ebay

using a FX5200 64 MB , runs NOLF2 and CoD just fine. I was very
surprised. The 5200 got a bad rap, but really it's not too bad a GPU for
the money. I don't plan on trying Far Cry or any such newer games with
it, but for direct x 8 games and below it is fine. Some question whether
it truly supports DX 9, I have no reason to doubt it does.