Voodoo 3 3000 vs. GeForce 2 MX 400?

mo

For old games, is one of those video cards better than the other?
(Specifically, Dance, Dance Rev. freeware clone called Step Mania).
Thanks!
Mo

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Well if they support glide as native API then you should go for voodoo3 and
if they don't you can still go for voodoo in old games. However voodoo card
in old games that support glide ROCKS no doubt about it...

"Mo" <mo@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> For old games, is one of those video cards better than the other?
> (Specifically, Dance, Dance Rev. freeware clone called Step Mania).
> Thanks!
> Mo

Mo:

> For old games, is one of those video cards better than the other?
> (Specifically, Dance, Dance Rev. freeware clone called Step Mania).

MX400. Chingy has a good point about Glide but any game old enough to use
glide should be quite speedy on an MX400 which is based on the Geforce2
core if I remember correctly.
--
Mac Cool

On 31 Jan 2005 05:09:08 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>Mo:
>
>> For old games, is one of those video cards better than the other?
>> (Specifically, Dance, Dance Rev. freeware clone called Step Mania).
>
>MX400. Chingy has a good point about Glide but any game old enough to use
>glide should be quite speedy on an MX400 which is based on the Geforce2
>core if I remember correctly.

While the MX400 would be able to handle any game (speed wise)
that the Voodoo 3 would, when Glide is in the equation, the Voodoo
looks better. If I where the original poster, I'd go with a Voodoo 5
though as this would give him the Glide support + power to push any of
those older games.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

The OP said Voodoo3, not Voodoo5. And the MX will smoke the Voodoo3.

DaveL

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> On 31 Jan 2005 05:09:08 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:
>
>>Mo:
>>
>>> For old games, is one of those video cards better than the other?
>>> (Specifically, Dance, Dance Rev. freeware clone called Step Mania).
>>
>>MX400. Chingy has a good point about Glide but any game old enough to use
>>glide should be quite speedy on an MX400 which is based on the Geforce2
>>core if I remember correctly.
>

> While the MX400 would be able to handle any game (speed wise)
> that the Voodoo 3 would, when Glide is in the equation, the Voodoo
> looks better. If I where the original poster, I'd go with a Voodoo 5
> though as this would give him the Glide support + power to push any of
> those older games.

mo

Okay- from what you've all said, the bottom line is that the GeForce 2(32MB)
is a faster card (even for open GL?)
compared to the Voodoo3(16MB), right?

I just found a TNT2 w/32MB in the pile, would that be better than the
Voodoo3?
Would it be equal (or close) to the GeForce2?

(I'm trying to use the other cards (Voodoo3 or TNT2) for his old-games PC,
so I can save the GeForce2 card for my PC; in case you were wondering.)

Thanks for all your help!
Mo

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The OP said Voodoo3, not Voodoo5. And the MX will smoke the Voodoo3.
>
> DaveL

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

TNT2 is roughly equal to the Voodoo3. The TNT2 has one thing the Voodoo3
does not, 32 bit color. And the Nvidia cards specialize in OpenGL.

DaveL

> Okay- from what you've all said, the bottom line is that the GeForce
> 2(32MB)
> is a faster card (even for open GL?)
> compared to the Voodoo3(16MB), right?
>
> I just found a TNT2 w/32MB in the pile, would that be better than the
> Voodoo3?
> Would it be equal (or close) to the GeForce2?
>
> (I'm trying to use the other cards (Voodoo3 or TNT2) for his old-games PC,
> so I can save the GeForce2 card for my PC; in case you were wondering.)
>
> Thanks for all your help!
> Mo
>
> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> The OP said Voodoo3, not Voodoo5. And the MX will smoke the Voodoo3.
>>
>> DaveL

Man, the old debates are flaring up again...

Take a look here:

http://www.stepmania.com/stepmania/wiki.php?pagename=FrequentlyAskedQuestions

The game requires DirectX 8-compatible drivers (just compatible, need not
support all functions in hardware). If you are using Windows XP, D3D driver
support for the Voodoo will be spotty. Get the MX400, which can use the
latest nVidia drivers (shared with the 6800, etc.)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:12:21 GMT, "Mo" <mo@somewhere.com> wrote:

>Okay- from what you've all said, the bottom line is that the GeForce 2(32MB)
>is a faster card (even for open GL?)
>compared to the Voodoo3(16MB), right?
>
>I just found a TNT2 w/32MB in the pile, would that be better than the
>Voodoo3?
>Would it be equal (or close) to the GeForce2?
>
>(I'm trying to use the other cards (Voodoo3 or TNT2) for his old-games PC,
>so I can save the GeForce2 card for my PC; in case you were wondering.)

The GF2 is definitely the better card. It has transform and lighting
(T&L), and more processing power. The TNT is slightly better than the
Voodoo3 technically. The TNT would probably work with the new nVidia
drivers, whereas the Voodoo is no longer supported.

Sig:
Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire,
philosopher (1694-1778)