I checked my voltage is this good or bad?

+5 = 4.87
3.3v = 3.18 used
+12v= 11.84 used
-5v= -3.70 used
-12v= 8.29 used

Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help out.
Hmmm any suggestions?
19 answers Last reply
More about checked voltage good

    5 and 3.3 should be within +/- 5%. I think 12 can be within 10% The minus
    voltages look like maybe they're reading from the wrong sensors. Otherwise
    they're way off.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    "Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
    > +5 = 4.87
    > 3.3v = 3.18 used
    > +12v= 11.84 used
    > -5v= -3.70 used
    > -12v= 8.29 used
    >

    > Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
    > out. Hmmm any suggestions?

    It looks to me like the voltage readings of an inexpensive, unstable power
    supply. I would recommend looking at the Antec power supply units as being
    very conservatively rated and stable.

    --
    DaveW

    "Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
    > +5 = 4.87
    > 3.3v = 3.18 used
    > +12v= 11.84 used
    > -5v= -3.70 used
    > -12v= 8.29 used
    >

    > Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
    > out. Hmmm any suggestions?

    I think those numbers are fine for the +12, +5 and + 3.3. They are
    fairly close to what I get with my Antec TruePower 330.
    Another thing to consider is the accuracy of the voltage sensors, which
    can be slightly off. I have close to those same readings, but measuring
    at the ATX connector I found my voltages to be right on the money.

    "Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
    > +5 = 4.87
    > 3.3v = 3.18 used
    > +12v= 11.84 used
    > -5v= -3.70 used
    > -12v= 8.29 used
    >

    > Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
    > out. Hmmm any suggestions?

    What is your current supply?

    Current use an antec 380watt

    > It looks to me like the voltage readings of an inexpensive, unstable power
    > supply. I would recommend looking at the Antec power supply units as
    > being very conservatively rated and stable.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
    >> +5 = 4.87
    >> 3.3v = 3.18 used
    >> +12v= 11.84 used
    >> -5v= -3.70 used
    >> -12v= 8.29 used
    >>

    >> Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
    >> out. Hmmm any suggestions?

    what program did you use to check the readings?

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:44:20 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

    >It looks to me like the voltage readings of an inexpensive, unstable power
    >supply. I would recommend looking at the Antec power supply units as being
    >very conservatively rated and stable.

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:40:07 -0600, "Anthony"
    <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote:

    >+5 = 4.87
    >3.3v = 3.18 used
    >+12v= 11.84 used
    >-5v= -3.70 used
    >-12v= 8.29 used
    >

    >Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help out.
    >Hmmm any suggestions?

    with an antec, mine are

    +1.5=1.441
    Vccp=1.329
    +3.3=3.29
    +5Vin=5.078
    +12=11.937

    Are those read from the BIOS or a program such as speedfan or MBM?
    What mobo is that?
    Are you having any stability issues?
    my +12v reads 8 in Speedfan but in the BIOS it hangs around 12?
    Motherboard volt and temp monitors aren't the most accurate of measures so
    don't take them for granted.

    "Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
    > +5 = 4.87
    > 3.3v = 3.18 used
    > +12v= 11.84 used
    > -5v= -3.70 used
    > -12v= 8.29 used
    >

    > Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
    > out. Hmmm any suggestions?

    Using MbprobeNT and yup having stability problems since I got my new video
    card so I am guessing its the power supply checked everything else out ram
    is okay hard drives are okay dvd-rw is okay cpui is okay so after rulling
    out everytrhing else figured it was the power supply.
    "ragamuffin" <ragamuffin@ed.com> wrote in message
    > Are those read from the BIOS or a program such as speedfan or MBM?
    > What mobo is that?
    > Are you having any stability issues?
    > my +12v reads 8 in Speedfan but in the BIOS it hangs around 12?
    > Motherboard volt and temp monitors aren't the most accurate of measures so
    > don't take them for granted.
    >

    > "Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
    >> +5 = 4.87
    >> 3.3v = 3.18 used
    >> +12v= 11.84 used
    >> -5v= -3.70 used
    >> -12v= 8.29 used
    >>

    >> Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
    >> out. Hmmm any suggestions?

    Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:

    +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
    +5 v ...> +4.17 v
    +12 v ...> +11.67 v
    -12 v ...> -9.32 v
    -5 v ...> -4.55 v

    I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
    these values now?

    Not at all, those values are close to my 330 TruePower. The sensors are
    not all that accurate that's why we have almost the same value's. I
    measured mine with a meter and they were exact.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:40:07 -0600, "Anthony"
    <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote:

    >+5 = 4.87
    >3.3v = 3.18 used
    >+12v= 11.84 used
    >-5v= -3.70 used
    >-12v= 8.29 used
    >

    >Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help out.
    >Hmmm any suggestions?

    I can tell you what BAD voltages are all about in a PC... Because I
    had been suffering from a bad/f**ked/defective/useless (call it what
    you will) power supply and it troubled me for a very long time before
    I finally caught it out and replaced it...

    5v was around 4.4v
    3.3v was around 3.1v
    12v was around 11.2v

    Although the PC performed reasonably well, I can remember for the past
    2 years since I had this Hyena 350 watt power supply, I had some
    unexplainable errors, all of which resulted in hangs, the odd reboot
    here and there, and read/write errors to IDE drives. AND, when I tried
    to track the source of these intermittent problems, I could never find
    it. It would simply happen for a while, maybe half an hour or so, then
    after I turned it off or just let it sit for a while, it would go away
    for another for a day, a week, or a month or so,, then happen again...

    Now, the funny thing was I once bought a new power supply which was in
    a stock clearnce sale at the local PC shop, a 400 watt unit,, but
    after I installed it, the damned PC wouldn't boot up successfully so I
    checked the voltages in BIOS and they were all low, as follows...
    2.95v
    10.8v
    4.2v
    so I took it back and told 'em to stick where the sun doesn't shine
    and simply went back to my original 350 watt Hyena unit.

    The problem persisted for the next 12 or more months and it seemed to
    only happen while playing games, then once it happened, it didn't
    matter what game or app I was into,, it simply went on for a while
    then up and disappeared,, until next time... Then, just a few months
    ago, it happened bigtime and I couldn't get my PC to boot up for more
    than a minute or two before it locked up or rebooted. I got that
    pissed off at replacing bits and pieces to try to fix it, that I left
    the b*stard thing sitting there and used my newly bought laptop, but
    who can use a laptop for more than a month or so without going nuts?
    Over the Xmas/new year period, I decided to give it one last shot and
    I fired the PC up and went into BIOS to see if there was anything I
    could tweak or mess with before I put a hammer through it...

    Well, I'll be the son of a gun... There was the answer... As I checked
    the VCore voltage, in BIG RED letters was the word "FAILED"...

    I immediately went and bought a 420 watt power supply and it's as if
    by magic - All is well, all of a sudden... All of the voltages are
    near or exactly as they should be... Not only that, but the PC is
    running noticably better that it has for the past year or two, no
    matter what new bits I added to it... The performance leap was like
    buying a whole new updated system...

    The hint to this episode is - Voltages can obviously vary from system
    to system and by quite some margin too and yet things may run well,,
    but once a threshold is crossed, you may wind up having small niggling
    problems which wont give you an exact symptom so you could spend
    forever looking for an answer... I wonder how many of us have problems
    which are blamed on Windows or drivers,, and are really a similar
    problem to what I had...

    If you can truly say that you PC is running ok with your current
    voltages ("current voltages" = funny play on words given the
    circumstanes), then worry no longer, BUT, a new and hopefully better
    PSU would never go astray... It could be titled "cheap insurance"...

    I swear that PC's were invented solely to annoy the human race...!!!
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Were in sandra soft u go to see this?

    "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
    >
    > +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
    > +5 v ...> +4.17 v
    > +12 v ...> +11.67 v
    > -12 v ...> -9.32 v
    > -5 v ...> -4.55 v
    >
    > I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
    > these values now?

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    There are newer versions of it. But I am still using SiSoft Sandra
    Standard 2003.7.9.73.

    Readings for Voltage Sensors are generally under Information Modules /
    Mainboard Information.

    Anthony wrote:
    > Were in sandra soft u go to see this?
    >

    > "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
    > >
    > > +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
    > > +5 v ...> +4.17 v
    > > +12 v ...> +11.67 v
    > > -12 v ...> -9.32 v
    > > -5 v ...> -4.55 v
    > >
    > > I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
    > > these values now?

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    ahh I am using 2005 version guess I better dig through it lol

    > There are newer versions of it. But I am still using SiSoft Sandra
    > Standard 2003.7.9.73.
    >
    > Readings for Voltage Sensors are generally under Information Modules /
    > Mainboard Information.
    >

    > Anthony wrote:
    >> Were in sandra soft u go to see this?
    >>

    >> "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
    >> >
    >> > +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
    >> > +5 v ...> +4.17 v
    >> > +12 v ...> +11.67 v
    >> > -12 v ...> -9.32 v
    >> > -5 v ...> -4.55 v
    >> >
    >> > I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
    >> > these values now?

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    If those are accurate readings, I don't see how your computer stays running.
    4.17 on the 5 volt line? I'm surprized it boots. If I were you I'd check
    it with a volt meter.

    DaveL

    "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
    >
    > +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
    > +5 v ...> +4.17 v
    > +12 v ...> +11.67 v
    > -12 v ...> -9.32 v
    > -5 v ...> -4.55 v
    >
    > I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
    > these values now?

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I'm surprized too. When I began to run my current system, I've had Disk
    Boot Failure at startup. I entered 6 secs for HDD Delay in BIOS to
    solve this symptom. This was nearly 18 months ago and I've never had
    any problems.

    The BIOS displays no voltage values. It only says "OK" for them.
    However, if I could I would want to measure the voltages.

    DaveL wrote:
    > If those are accurate readings, I don't see how your computer stays
    running.
    > 4.17 on the 5 volt line? I'm surprized it boots. If I were you I'd
    check
    > it with a volt meter.
    >
    > DaveL
    >

    > "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
    > >
    > > +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
    > > +5 v ...> +4.17 v
    > > +12 v ...> +11.67 v
    > > -12 v ...> -9.32 v
    > > -5 v ...> -4.55 v
    > >
    > > I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
    > > these values now?

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote

    > 4.17 on the 5 volt line? I'm surprized it boots. If I were you I'd check
    > it with a volt meter.

    Got a url on how to do that?

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    No url but easy enough to do. Use any of the power supply drive connectors.
    Hook the ground of the meter to a black wire and the other lead to the red
    wire (+5). The yellow is for +12 volt. The other voltages need to be read
    from the main power supply connector that goes to the motherboard.

    DaveL

    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

    > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote
    >
    >> 4.17 on the 5 volt line? I'm surprized it boots. If I were you I'd
    >> check it with a volt meter.
    >
    > Got a url on how to do that?
    >

    > --
    > Ed Light