I checked my voltage is this good or bad?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 29, 2005 3:40:07 PM

+5 = 4.87
3.3v = 3.18 used
+12v= 11.84 used
-5v= -3.70 used
-12v= 8.29 used

Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help out.
Hmmm any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2005 6:36:44 PM

5 and 3.3 should be within +/- 5%. I think 12 can be within 10% The minus
voltages look like maybe they're reading from the wrong sensors. Otherwise
they're way off.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
> +5 = 4.87
> 3.3v = 3.18 used
> +12v= 11.84 used
> -5v= -3.70 used
> -12v= 8.29 used
>

> Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
> out. Hmmm any suggestions?

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2005 7:44:20 PM

It looks to me like the voltage readings of an inexpensive, unstable power
supply. I would recommend looking at the Antec power supply units as being
very conservatively rated and stable.

--
DaveW

"Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
> +5 = 4.87
> 3.3v = 3.18 used
> +12v= 11.84 used
> -5v= -3.70 used
> -12v= 8.29 used
>

> Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
> out. Hmmm any suggestions?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2005 10:18:46 PM

I think those numbers are fine for the +12, +5 and + 3.3. They are
fairly close to what I get with my Antec TruePower 330.
Another thing to consider is the accuracy of the voltage sensors, which
can be slightly off. I have close to those same readings, but measuring
at the ATX connector I found my voltages to be right on the money.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2005 1:08:09 AM

"Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
> +5 = 4.87
> 3.3v = 3.18 used
> +12v= 11.84 used
> -5v= -3.70 used
> -12v= 8.29 used
>

> Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
> out. Hmmm any suggestions?

What is your current supply?

January 30, 2005 2:50:46 AM

Current use an antec 380watt

> It looks to me like the voltage readings of an inexpensive, unstable power
> supply. I would recommend looking at the Antec power supply units as
> being very conservatively rated and stable.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
>> +5 = 4.87
>> 3.3v = 3.18 used
>> +12v= 11.84 used
>> -5v= -3.70 used
>> -12v= 8.29 used
>>

>> Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
>> out. Hmmm any suggestions?

January 30, 2005 3:55:44 AM

what program did you use to check the readings?

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:44:20 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>It looks to me like the voltage readings of an inexpensive, unstable power
>supply. I would recommend looking at the Antec power supply units as being
>very conservatively rated and stable.
January 30, 2005 4:05:38 AM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:40:07 -0600, "Anthony"
<aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote:

>+5 = 4.87
>3.3v = 3.18 used
>+12v= 11.84 used
>-5v= -3.70 used
>-12v= 8.29 used
>

>Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help out.
>Hmmm any suggestions?

with an antec, mine are

+1.5=1.441
Vccp=1.329
+3.3=3.29
+5Vin=5.078
+12=11.937
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2005 1:48:49 PM

Are those read from the BIOS or a program such as speedfan or MBM?
What mobo is that?
Are you having any stability issues?
my +12v reads 8 in Speedfan but in the BIOS it hangs around 12?
Motherboard volt and temp monitors aren't the most accurate of measures so
don't take them for granted.

"Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
> +5 = 4.87
> 3.3v = 3.18 used
> +12v= 11.84 used
> -5v= -3.70 used
> -12v= 8.29 used
>

> Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
> out. Hmmm any suggestions?

January 30, 2005 1:48:50 PM

Using MbprobeNT and yup having stability problems since I got my new video
card so I am guessing its the power supply checked everything else out ram
is okay hard drives are okay dvd-rw is okay cpui is okay so after rulling
out everytrhing else figured it was the power supply.
"ragamuffin" <ragamuffin@ed.com> wrote in message
> Are those read from the BIOS or a program such as speedfan or MBM?
> What mobo is that?
> Are you having any stability issues?
> my +12v reads 8 in Speedfan but in the BIOS it hangs around 12?
> Motherboard volt and temp monitors aren't the most accurate of measures so
> don't take them for granted.
>

> "Anthony" <aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote in message
>> +5 = 4.87
>> 3.3v = 3.18 used
>> +12v= 11.84 used
>> -5v= -3.70 used
>> -12v= 8.29 used
>>

>> Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help
>> out. Hmmm any suggestions?

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2005 1:48:50 PM

Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:

+3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
+5 v ...> +4.17 v
+12 v ...> +11.67 v
-12 v ...> -9.32 v
-5 v ...> -4.55 v

I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
these values now?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2005 7:19:38 PM

Not at all, those values are close to my 330 TruePower. The sensors are
not all that accurate that's why we have almost the same value's. I
measured mine with a meter and they were exact.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2005 9:24:50 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:40:07 -0600, "Anthony"
<aevansjr3@nospan.cox.net> wrote:

>+5 = 4.87
>3.3v = 3.18 used
>+12v= 11.84 used
>-5v= -3.70 used
>-12v= 8.29 used
>

>Looks like I am cutting it close. Maybe a better power supply will help out.
>Hmmm any suggestions?

I can tell you what BAD voltages are all about in a PC... Because I
had been suffering from a bad/f**ked/defective/useless (call it what
you will) power supply and it troubled me for a very long time before
I finally caught it out and replaced it...

5v was around 4.4v
3.3v was around 3.1v
12v was around 11.2v

Although the PC performed reasonably well, I can remember for the past
2 years since I had this Hyena 350 watt power supply, I had some
unexplainable errors, all of which resulted in hangs, the odd reboot
here and there, and read/write errors to IDE drives. AND, when I tried
to track the source of these intermittent problems, I could never find
it. It would simply happen for a while, maybe half an hour or so, then
after I turned it off or just let it sit for a while, it would go away
for another for a day, a week, or a month or so,, then happen again...

Now, the funny thing was I once bought a new power supply which was in
a stock clearnce sale at the local PC shop, a 400 watt unit,, but
after I installed it, the damned PC wouldn't boot up successfully so I
checked the voltages in BIOS and they were all low, as follows...
2.95v
10.8v
4.2v
so I took it back and told 'em to stick where the sun doesn't shine
and simply went back to my original 350 watt Hyena unit.

The problem persisted for the next 12 or more months and it seemed to
only happen while playing games, then once it happened, it didn't
matter what game or app I was into,, it simply went on for a while
then up and disappeared,, until next time... Then, just a few months
ago, it happened bigtime and I couldn't get my PC to boot up for more
than a minute or two before it locked up or rebooted. I got that
pissed off at replacing bits and pieces to try to fix it, that I left
the b*stard thing sitting there and used my newly bought laptop, but
who can use a laptop for more than a month or so without going nuts?
Over the Xmas/new year period, I decided to give it one last shot and
I fired the PC up and went into BIOS to see if there was anything I
could tweak or mess with before I put a hammer through it...

Well, I'll be the son of a gun... There was the answer... As I checked
the VCore voltage, in BIG RED letters was the word "FAILED"...

I immediately went and bought a 420 watt power supply and it's as if
by magic - All is well, all of a sudden... All of the voltages are
near or exactly as they should be... Not only that, but the PC is
running noticably better that it has for the past year or two, no
matter what new bits I added to it... The performance leap was like
buying a whole new updated system...

The hint to this episode is - Voltages can obviously vary from system
to system and by quite some margin too and yet things may run well,,
but once a threshold is crossed, you may wind up having small niggling
problems which wont give you an exact symptom so you could spend
forever looking for an answer... I wonder how many of us have problems
which are blamed on Windows or drivers,, and are really a similar
problem to what I had...

If you can truly say that you PC is running ok with your current
voltages ("current voltages" = funny play on words given the
circumstanes), then worry no longer, BUT, a new and hopefully better
PSU would never go astray... It could be titled "cheap insurance"...

I swear that PC's were invented solely to annoy the human race...!!!
January 31, 2005 4:02:41 AM

Were in sandra soft u go to see this?

"Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
>
> +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
> +5 v ...> +4.17 v
> +12 v ...> +11.67 v
> -12 v ...> -9.32 v
> -5 v ...> -4.55 v
>
> I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
> these values now?

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2005 9:53:38 AM

There are newer versions of it. But I am still using SiSoft Sandra
Standard 2003.7.9.73.

Readings for Voltage Sensors are generally under Information Modules /
Mainboard Information.

Anthony wrote:
> Were in sandra soft u go to see this?
>

> "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
> >
> > +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
> > +5 v ...> +4.17 v
> > +12 v ...> +11.67 v
> > -12 v ...> -9.32 v
> > -5 v ...> -4.55 v
> >
> > I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
> > these values now?

January 31, 2005 12:47:00 PM

ahh I am using 2005 version guess I better dig through it lol

> There are newer versions of it. But I am still using SiSoft Sandra
> Standard 2003.7.9.73.
>
> Readings for Voltage Sensors are generally under Information Modules /
> Mainboard Information.
>

> Anthony wrote:
>> Were in sandra soft u go to see this?
>>

>> "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
>> >
>> > +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
>> > +5 v ...> +4.17 v
>> > +12 v ...> +11.67 v
>> > -12 v ...> -9.32 v
>> > -5 v ...> -4.55 v
>> >
>> > I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
>> > these values now?

January 31, 2005 1:42:09 PM

If those are accurate readings, I don't see how your computer stays running.
4.17 on the 5 volt line? I'm surprized it boots. If I were you I'd check
it with a volt meter.

DaveL

"Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
>
> +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
> +5 v ...> +4.17 v
> +12 v ...> +11.67 v
> -12 v ...> -9.32 v
> -5 v ...> -4.55 v
>
> I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
> these values now?

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2005 2:26:29 PM

I'm surprized too. When I began to run my current system, I've had Disk
Boot Failure at startup. I entered 6 secs for HDD Delay in BIOS to
solve this symptom. This was nearly 18 months ago and I've never had
any problems.

The BIOS displays no voltage values. It only says "OK" for them.
However, if I could I would want to measure the voltages.

DaveL wrote:
> If those are accurate readings, I don't see how your computer stays
running.
> 4.17 on the 5 volt line? I'm surprized it boots. If I were you I'd
check
> it with a volt meter.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Orhan" <oooglu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Using SiSoft Sandra with my Antec TruePower 380:
> >
> > +3.3 v ...> +3.26 v
> > +5 v ...> +4.17 v
> > +12 v ...> +11.67 v
> > -12 v ...> -9.32 v
> > -5 v ...> -4.55 v
> >
> > I don't have any problems with my system. Should I be worried about
> > these values now?

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2005 2:41:45 PM

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote

> 4.17 on the 5 volt line? I'm surprized it boots. If I were you I'd check
> it with a volt meter.

Got a url on how to do that?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
January 31, 2005 2:52:39 PM

No url but easy enough to do. Use any of the power supply drive connectors.
Hook the ground of the meter to a black wire and the other lead to the red
wire (+5). The yellow is for +12 volt. The other voltages need to be read
from the main power supply connector that goes to the motherboard.

DaveL

!