PC S-Video Out to Receiver = Horrible Buzz...Please Help?

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.video (More info?)

I just recently tried to hook up my PC video card (old GeForce2 MX) to
my receiver (Outlaw 1050) using the S-Video out.

Whenever I plug the S-Video cable from my PC video card to my receiver
(using the "Video 1" input (entirely inactive, including the RCAs)), I
get a horrible and very loud buzzing sound through my speakers.

The buzz is on all channels: AUX, Video-1, Video-2, DVD, etc. It's at a
constant volume no matter how I adjust the knob unless I turn it to
zero, at which point it disappears altogether.

The picture works fine--I get Windows 2000 on the TV screen. I already
have my PC sound card hooked up to the receiver using a digital
coax-to-digital optical converter, assigning the digital input to the
AUX channel. This has worked well for a couple of years now.

My cables are short with no coils.

Why the buzz? Any help would be appreciated here.

MMM
3 answers Last reply
More about video receiver horrible buzz please help
  1. Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.video (More info?)

    It sounds like you have a "ground loop" now in your system caused by the PC
    system and your HiFi system being at different relative ground levels. You
    may need to install a 'ground isolation transformer' in the circuit.

    --
    DaveW

    "Magna Mater" <mothermisericordiae@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I just recently tried to hook up my PC video card (old GeForce2 MX) to my
    >receiver (Outlaw 1050) using the S-Video out.
    >
    > Whenever I plug the S-Video cable from my PC video card to my receiver
    > (using the "Video 1" input (entirely inactive, including the RCAs)), I get
    > a horrible and very loud buzzing sound through my speakers.
    >
    > The buzz is on all channels: AUX, Video-1, Video-2, DVD, etc. It's at a
    > constant volume no matter how I adjust the knob unless I turn it to zero,
    > at which point it disappears altogether.
    >
    > The picture works fine--I get Windows 2000 on the TV screen. I already
    > have my PC sound card hooked up to the receiver using a digital
    > coax-to-digital optical converter, assigning the digital input to the AUX
    > channel. This has worked well for a couple of years now.
    >
    > My cables are short with no coils.
    >
    > Why the buzz? Any help would be appreciated here.
    >
    > MMM
  2. Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.video (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 04:26:02 -0500, Magna Mater
    <mothermisericordiae@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I just recently tried to hook up my PC video card (old GeForce2 MX) to
    >my receiver (Outlaw 1050) using the S-Video out.
    >
    >Whenever I plug the S-Video cable from my PC video card to my receiver
    >(using the "Video 1" input (entirely inactive, including the RCAs)), I
    >get a horrible and very loud buzzing sound through my speakers.

    Not surprising, since your PC video card has no audio circuitry, only
    video. Apparently you are feeding video signal to your receiver and
    your are hearing the frame-rate buzz. You need a separate audio card
    ( or motherboard audio ) in your PC from which you feed the audio to
    the receiver...as you have done already.

    John Lewis

    >The buzz is on all channels: AUX, Video-1, Video-2, DVD, etc. It's at a
    >constant volume no matter how I adjust the knob unless I turn it to
    >zero, at which point it disappears altogether.
    >
    >The picture works fine--I get Windows 2000 on the TV screen. I already
    >have my PC sound card hooked up to the receiver using a digital
    >coax-to-digital optical converter, assigning the digital input to the
    >AUX channel. This has worked well for a couple of years now.
    >
    >My cables are short with no coils.
    >
    >Why the buzz? Any help would be appreciated here.
    >
    >MMM
  3. Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.video (More info?)

    DaveW wrote:

    >It sounds like you have a "ground loop" now in your system caused by the PC
    >system and your HiFi system being at different relative ground levels. You
    >may need to install a 'ground isolation transformer' in the circuit.

    Thanks...you nailed it! I did have a ground loop problem which I managed
    to pinpoint to the cable antenna. I built an easy antenna cable isolator
    with a pair of 75 to 300 ohm transformers. Cost under eight bucks at
    Radio Shack to fix the problem and better yet, since I have digital
    cable--no signal loss!

    MMM

Nvidia Home Theatre Graphics Cards Video Graphics