Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ti-4200 drivers test AND test of overlay / games color bugs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 30, 2005 9:32:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

OK, I spent half the weekend testing drivers for my Ti-4200 card to
find the fastest driver AND to try to find a driver that loaded
overlay color settings and games profiles color setting after reboot
(without having to apply again).

Not a success as you can see. None of the drivers in the 6x.xx and
7x.xx series work well on a 4200 card (some feedback I got is that it
works on 6x.xx cards though).

The other settings for games profiles work (quality etc) but not
colors profiles after boot (they work just after jo apply them in the
control panel as long as you don't boot, that's tru for the overlay
color setting as well). Only thing that works is that the desktop
color settings are restored at boottime (I guess they couldn't have
missed if this disn't work :-)

So it would seem that no one cares about us that bought 42xx series
cards anymore :-(
I have not managed to get any comment or feedback from Nvidia either
:-(

Well the test results might be interesting for all 4xxx cards owners
anyway, right :-)
Any if anyone else can confirm the problem OR have a solution then
please tell me!

(this table might look best with Courier or other fixed width font)

Driver Overlay Games 3dMark 3dMark 3dMark
version color profile 2000 2001 03
restored colors
after work
boot after
boot

44.03 Yes n/a 12182 11082 1473
45.23 Yes n/a 12056 10472 1460
56.64 Yes n/a 11702 10078 1434
56.72 Yes n/a 11723 10012 1430
61.77 No No 11467 10013 1596
66.93 No No 11309 9856 1603
67.03 No No 11277 9824 1602
67.66 No No 11301 9816 1599
71.21 No No 11326 9781 1606

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 31, 2005 4:03:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

You have not said which motherboard, BIOS, chipset drivers, and OS is in
use. Without that information, your results don't mean much to others.

However, it looks like there is little significant difference in speed
and slower results with newer drivers is probably offset by better
graphics quality.

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> OK, I spent half the weekend testing drivers for my Ti-4200 card to
> find the fastest driver AND to try to find a driver that loaded
> overlay color settings and games profiles color setting after reboot
> (without having to apply again).
>
> Not a success as you can see. None of the drivers in the 6x.xx and
> 7x.xx series work well on a 4200 card (some feedback I got is that it
> works on 6x.xx cards though).
>
> The other settings for games profiles work (quality etc) but not
> colors profiles after boot (they work just after jo apply them in the
> control panel as long as you don't boot, that's tru for the overlay
> color setting as well). Only thing that works is that the desktop
> color settings are restored at boottime (I guess they couldn't have
> missed if this disn't work :-)
>
> So it would seem that no one cares about us that bought 42xx series
> cards anymore :-(
> I have not managed to get any comment or feedback from Nvidia either
> :-(
>
> Well the test results might be interesting for all 4xxx cards owners
> anyway, right :-)
> Any if anyone else can confirm the problem OR have a solution then
> please tell me!
>
> (this table might look best with Courier or other fixed width font)
>
> Driver Overlay Games 3dMark 3dMark 3dMark
> version color profile 2000 2001 03
> restored colors
> after work
> boot after
> boot
>
> 44.03 Yes n/a 12182 11082 1473
> 45.23 Yes n/a 12056 10472 1460
> 56.64 Yes n/a 11702 10078 1434
> 56.72 Yes n/a 11723 10012 1430
> 61.77 No No 11467 10013 1596
> 66.93 No No 11309 9856 1603
> 67.03 No No 11277 9824 1602
> 67.66 No No 11301 9816 1599
> 71.21 No No 11326 9781 1606
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 31, 2005 1:58:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
news:cT8Ld.814$Mw3.38@amstwist00...
> OK, I spent half the weekend testing drivers for my Ti-4200 card to
> find the fastest driver AND to try to find a driver that loaded
> overlay color settings and games profiles color setting after reboot
> (without having to apply again).
>
> Not a success as you can see. None of the drivers in the 6x.xx and
> 7x.xx series work well on a 4200 card (some feedback I got is that it
> works on 6x.xx cards though).
>
> The other settings for games profiles work (quality etc) but not
> colors profiles after boot (they work just after jo apply them in the
> control panel as long as you don't boot, that's tru for the overlay
> color setting as well). Only thing that works is that the desktop
> color settings are restored at boottime (I guess they couldn't have
> missed if this disn't work :-)
>
> So it would seem that no one cares about us that bought 42xx series
> cards anymore :-(
> I have not managed to get any comment or feedback from Nvidia either
> :-(
>
> Well the test results might be interesting for all 4xxx cards owners
> anyway, right :-)
> Any if anyone else can confirm the problem OR have a solution then
> please tell me!
>
> (this table might look best with Courier or other fixed width font)
>
> Driver Overlay Games 3dMark 3dMark 3dMark
> version color profile 2000 2001 03
> restored colors
> after work
> boot after
> boot
>
> 44.03 Yes n/a 12182 11082 1473
> 45.23 Yes n/a 12056 10472 1460
> 56.64 Yes n/a 11702 10078 1434
> 56.72 Yes n/a 11723 10012 1430
> 61.77 No No 11467 10013 1596
> 66.93 No No 11309 9856 1603
> 67.03 No No 11277 9824 1602
> 67.66 No No 11301 9816 1599
> 71.21 No No 11326 9781 1606
>
> --

FWIW - I used to use 45.23 drivers on my Ti4800 - no problem. Needed to
rebuild PC, so new XP Pro & SP2, then added lastest whql drivers at the time
6177 -again no problems - plays most gamed medium detail @ 1024 x 768.
Then bought HL2 & noticed it was a bit jerky so had to crank resolution down
to 800 x 600.
Recently got NeedforSpeed Underground 2 - ran terrible jerky & isolated
grphic glitches on the car details.

So, tried downgrding to 45.23 - speeding up NFSU2 & HL (CS:Source actually
tested) noticeably even to the eye.
HTH JonMaC
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 31, 2005 6:59:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Robert Gault skrev:

> You have not said which motherboard, BIOS, chipset drivers, and OS is in
> use. Without that information, your results don't mean much to others.

Read the signature: Asus P4PE, XP, P4 2.54, 512MB (done have the
rest). The test was mainly to compare between the drivers versions

> However, it looks like there is little significant difference in speed
> and slower results with newer drivers is probably offset by better

And the new drivers ARE faster with 3dMark 03 (which reflects new
games better). The old games (2000 and 2001) is fast enough anyway.

So I'd use 66.93 if it hadn't been for the "overlay settings bug" :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 31, 2005 7:42:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

JonMaC skrev:

> Then bought HL2 & noticed it was a bit jerky so had to crank resolution down
> to 800 x 600.

Have always used 800x600 (to get 85hz, only gets 75 at 1024x768)

> Recently got NeedforSpeed Underground 2 - ran terrible jerky & isolated
> grphic glitches on the car details.
>
> So, tried downgrding to 45.23 - speeding up NFSU2 & HL (CS:Source actually
> tested) noticeably even to the eye.

One thing I noticed was the "carousel test" in one of the 3dMarks's.
The 2nd one with "8 light sources". It's quite smooth with the 4x.xx
drivers, but with the new 6x.xx and 7x.xx it's terribly jerkey :-(

To bad 45.23 is much slower that 44.03 and poor on new games.
But 44.03 crashes in Half-Life 2, so. It's 45.23 or 66.93

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
!