Bad Pool Header every 12 hours under Win 8 Pro

iandavid

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
OK - so I installed Win 8 pro on an existing 64 bit Win 7 platform. I've corrected most of the driver issues, but the system crashes at 11:36 am and 11:36 pm every day. Dumps are taken but win 8 won't let me look at them. I noticed the "bad_pool_header" on the BSOD screen and thought I'd track that down, but nothing yet.

I have deleted all the extraneous programs I can think of, but to no avail. Thoughts? :pt1cable:

-Run task scheduler and check to see if there is a task scheduled to run at that time. If there is, it will show up under the task scheduler library and you can disable it there.

- you might have to give yourself rights to look at the dump file. or just copy it to a location that you have rights to access on your system. file explorer -> computer local disk (c:) right mouse click to bring up properties, select security tab to get to the correct menus and give your account rights

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
"bad_pool_header"

What is happening is a program is trying to execute at that time, more likely to be a scanner for anti virus ect, or a software up dating program.
The problem is it trying to access a part of the memory that windows is using. More than likely a block of memory reserved for windows OS to use only. Or it can be a sign of a driver wanting a memory address that windows is using. The program was calling a pool of memory to write or read to but was denied access, and caused the crash.

Run memtest86+.

Whats happening is that the pool header is becoming corrupt, which points to either an OS bug (it IS a new version of windows...), a driver bug (it IS a new version of windows), or a memory bug. Of the three, RAM is the easiest for you to test.

iandavid

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

Tried that - no errors on drive.

iandavid

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

Task schedule shows nothing scheduled anywhere close to these times. Thanks, though.

RussK1

Splendid

Only times it's happened to me was due to corrupted usb drivers... an uninstall and reinstall fixed it. I have these cheap 32GB thumb drives (PNY attache) and if I do long sustained file transfers on the drives they get really hot and bug out the drivers and bam! Bad_Pool_Header BSOD. After that, constant BSOD's until the removal and install of fresh drivers... needless to say I try to keep the large file transfers at a minimum.

Did your crash dump not report the error? Sometimes the dump is not saved if the crash is in the storage system. I have seen that happen many times, logs commonly use buffered IO, when the app/system crashes the error is still in the buffer and has not been flushed to disk before the crash occurs. Sometimes you can turn the cache off on your storage (lazy writes) and catch the full log. Apps often use buffered IO in their calls also so the event could still be in the apps buffers when the system crashed.

edit:
run powershell as admin
run the command
get-ScheduledTask

that will dump the list of tasks. just in case something is hidden.