G-6 350 mhz upgrade

I got 2 g-6 35o mhz with 10 gig hd, Pentium II mb can I upgrade the system?
Is it worth it? And if it is what will I need?

Thanks
Ray

It all depends on the MB chipset, particularly the BIOS.

KC

"WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I got 2 g-6 35o mhz with 10 gig hd, Pentium II mb can I upgrade the
system?
> Is it worth it? And if it is what will I need?
>
> Thanks
> Ray

I upgraded my g6-400 with a Powerleap 1.4GHz processor, 40GB hard disk,
512MB RAM, a CD-RW, and Windows XP a couple of years ago and I've been very
happy with it. It's not good for playing new games but it does well enough
for Word Processing, Internet, Basic Photo Editing, and other general
tasks.

If I were starting out with the stock G6-400 today I would just buy a new
PC. It cost me about:

$80 CD-RW
$80 HDD
$120 384MB RAM
$160 CPU Upgrade
$80 Windows XP Upgrade

Total > $500. You can get a much better PC than what I have for $5-600
today. The above parts are probably cheaper today with the exception of the
memory and Windows XP so if money is tight the upgrade might be better. I
think you can get the Powerleap 1.4GHz CPU for about $100. That made the
most notable performance difference in my system.

-Bill

"WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I got 2 g-6 35o mhz with 10 gig hd, Pentium II mb can I upgrade the system?
> Is it worth it? And if it is what will I need?
>
> Thanks
> Ray

The motherboard is likely an Intel-made SE440BX, for which the top CPU is 450 or
500MHz Pentium II, almost not worth the bother. If the motherboard is an
SE440BX-2, top speed is 600MHz Pentium III operating at 2.0v with 100MHz front
side bus. The latter will improve the responsiveness of the computer. So will
a memory upgrade.

PowerLeap kits take the speed up to 1.4GHz at a significant cost, more than
$100.

Is it worth it? What do the parts cost? I would not sink more than $40 or $50
into upgrades, as the computer itself has a very low resale value. The main
thing here is that you will be able to keep the computer going and use all the
programs installed on it, as well as your own personal data... Ben Myers

On Sun, 08 May 2005 16:51:24 GMT, "WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@nospam.hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I got 2 g-6 35o mhz with 10 gig hd, Pentium II mb can I upgrade the system?
>Is it worth it? And if it is what will I need?
>
>Thanks
>Ray

GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
4M4PBOX1.15A.023.P13

Ok Thanks Kevin, Bill, Ben.

"WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I got 2 g-6 35o mhz with 10 gig hd, Pentium II mb can I upgrade the
system?
> Is it worth it? And if it is what will I need?
>
> Thanks
> Ray

That's an Intel-made MP440BX motherboard. Not sure what the exact limits are.
The board was made more or less special for Gateway, but it does not differ
markedly from the generic SE440BX... Ben Myers

On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:36:05 GMT, "WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@nospam.hotmail.com>
wrote:

>GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
>PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
>4M4PBOX1.15A.023.P13
>
>Ok Thanks Kevin, Bill, Ben.
>
>"WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I got 2 g-6 35o mhz with 10 gig hd, Pentium II mb can I upgrade the
>system?
>> Is it worth it? And if it is what will I need?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ray

Thanks Ben.
So I think I'll just invest in a new sysytem then.
Ray

WackoRay wrote:
> GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
> PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
> 4M4PBOX1.15A.023.P13

We upgraded 3 of these at work to 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celerons. Made a big
difference in the apps we run. It was worth it to us, but only you can
be the judge as to whether it is worth it to you.

Hey I know this is after the fact but I have a very similar system to
the one RayWacko has. I have a Gateway G6 350 mhz manufactured in
december of 98 which I picked up for free. I would like to upgrade
the processor to a 550 mhz or a 600 mhz. The motherboard is a
MP440BX intel motherboard with a Bios Version 4M4PBOX1.15A.0018.P09.
My question is if the bios would recognize the Pentium III 550 mhz
processor model #SL3F7 or if I would need to upgrade the BIOS. I am
fairly certain, other than the BIOS, it should be compatiblity
because they both use a SLOT 1 socket for the processors. I think
that's all, what do you all think? Any special things to consider?

wacko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I kept debating and finally I settled on trying the 1.2 GHz Tualatin
Celeron.
Piece of cake to install.
I added the max memory, up to 384 & replaced that bucket of bolts Maxtor
10 gig hd with a western digital 250 gig hd.
I like it! Big improvement over what it was like. the difference is like
night & day.
Well worth the upgrade as far as I am concerned.

"gdp" <gdp416@cox.invalid> wrote in message
> WackoRay wrote:
> > GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
> > PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
> > 4M4PBOX1.15A.023.P13
> >
> We upgraded 3 of these at work to 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celerons. Made a big
> difference in the apps we run. It was worth it to us, but only you can
> be the judge as to whether it is worth it to you.

Since upgrading. Things have gone down hill fast.
It runs fine for a day or two. Then I get file corruption.
The names change to hieroglyphics. I took a snap shot of the
Lavasoft folder but can't post it here for some reason.
Could someone email me so I could send the jpeg image of the folder
so you could look at it and see if you have seen this or know what the
hell is happening. But this happens to all my folders eventually. I just
got lucky and did
a scandisk and it said the files were corrupted beyond repair in Lavasoft.
I have all up to date anti virus, The Cleaner, Zone Alarm Pro, spybot,
Ad-Aware & spyblaster. Everything comes back clean.
Thanks, my email addy is ray_wacko_foti@hotmail.com
Ray

"Vze" <vze2h26h@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi Ben,
> I just got the promise card and installed it.
> In the instructions it tells me to attach my system
> case's 2or 4 pin LED to the LED connector on the
> SATA card.
>
> I looked at the spec sheet and it shows my LED
> jumper to be a 2 prong just above my on/off cable.
> But there is no cable. Do I need it ? I mean, I am
> on that pc now and it is running?
>
> thanks
> Ray

You only need it if you want pretty lights indicating hard drive activity to
light up like a Christmas tree whenever there is hard disk access. No, you
don't need it. If you want to use it, you can use the existing cable that
runs from your hard drive LED connector on the motherboard and move it to
the one on the SATA card.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

Thank you Hurricane

Ray

"Hurricane Andrew" <hurricane_andrew@verizon_nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Vze" <vze2h26h@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Ben,
> > I just got the promise card and installed it.
> > In the instructions it tells me to attach my system
> > case's 2or 4 pin LED to the LED connector on the
> > SATA card.
> >
> > I looked at the spec sheet and it shows my LED
> > jumper to be a 2 prong just above my on/off cable.
> > But there is no cable. Do I need it ? I mean, I am
> > on that pc now and it is running?
> >
> > thanks
> > Ray
> >

> You only need it if you want pretty lights indicating hard drive activity
> light up like a Christmas tree whenever there is hard disk access. No,
you
> don't need it. If you want to use it, you can use the existing cable that
> runs from your hard drive LED connector on the motherboard and move it to
> the one on the SATA card.
>

> --
> "Hurricane" Andrew
> Milford, DE

The MP440BX is an OEM variation of the very popular SE440BX Intel board. Ispecs
is inaccurate. This is a Slot 1 board, not Socket 370. However, Ispecs is
being fooled by the PowerLeap kit CPU, which identifies itself as it truly is:
Socket 370 FC-PGA2.

IMHO, the same limitations hold for the MP440BX as for the SE440BX board. In
other words, installed memory must consist of DIMMs with low-density chips.

All I can surmise is that either the PowerLeap kit is not compatible with the
MP440BX board, or that a defect has crept into the hardware somewhere. The
system lockups running both Windows and MEMTEST-86 are not a coincidence, and
are symptomatic of a hardware problem.

What happens when you put the older slower Slot 1 CPU in the system? Lockups?
Does MEMTEST run OK? ... Ben Myers

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 05:29:09 GMT, "WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ben these are from belarc advisor and the bottom from Ispecs
>
>Board: Intel Corporation MP440BX AA698435-301
>Serial Number: IMMP82801837
>BIOS: Intel Corp. 4M4PB0X1.15A.0029.P17 08/04/199
>Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
>Model : MP440BX Rev. AA698435-301
>CPU Slot/Socket Type : Socket 370 FC-PGA2
>Chipset Vendor : Intel i440BX/ZX Rev. B1
>Bios Manufacturer : Intel Corp.
>Bios Version : 4M4PB0X1.15A.0029.P17

<BIG SNIP>

Just to pass on a confirmation of Ben's comments. Checked with the best
tech I know and he concurs the MP440BX is limited to low density (high chip
count) DIMMs.

KC