2 6600 Gts in SLI on a Nforce 4 board worth it ??

Just a thought i had. Was thinking of adding a socket 939 3500 cpu as
well :)

My old pc3200 ram would be ok with it still right? Not need for DDR2
ram ??

Thanks.

In order for SLI to work, the nVidia drivers must have been programmed for
each specific game. If the games you wish to play are not among the *15*
listed here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_sli_scalableapps.html

Then the 2nd card sits idle. Still as enthusiastic about SLI?

"Helllo" <scampy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Just a thought i had. Was thinking of adding a socket 939 3500 cpu as
> well :)
>
> My old pc3200 ram would be ok with it still right? Not need for DDR2
> ram ??
>
> Thanks.

1 6800 ultra beats twoo 6600's in SLI.

>Just a thought i had. Was thinking of adding a socket 939 3500 cpu as
>well :)
>
>My old pc3200 ram would be ok with it still right? Not need for DDR2
>ram ??

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

2 SLI still slower than single 6800 GT card according to benchmark @the toms
hardware.

So it's not worth it unless you SLI 6800 cards..

"Helllo" <scampy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Just a thought i had. Was thinking of adding a socket 939 3500 cpu as
> well :)
>
> My old pc3200 ram would be ok with it still right? Not need for DDR2
> ram ??
>
> Thanks.

Not from the reviews ive been reading ??

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:02:00 +1100, "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote:

>2 SLI still slower than single 6800 GT card according to benchmark @the toms
>hardware.
>
>So it's not worth it unless you SLI 6800 cards..
>
>"Helllo" <scampy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Just a thought i had. Was thinking of adding a socket 939 3500 cpu as
>> well :)
>>
>> My old pc3200 ram would be ok with it still right? Not need for DDR2
>> ram ??
>>
>> Thanks.

<Not from the reviews ive been reading ??

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:02:00 +1100, "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote:

>2 SLI still slower than single 6800 GT card according to benchmark @the toms
>hardware.
>
>So it's not worth it unless you SLI 6800 cards..
>
>"Helllo" <scampy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Just a thought i had. Was thinking of adding a socket 939 3500 cpu as
>> well :)
>>
>> My old pc3200 ram would be ok with it still right? Not need for DDR2
>> ram ??
>>
>> Thanks.

2 6600 GT's are faster than the 6800 and is much cheaper. 1 6600 GT is faster
than the ATI 9800 XT. You can alwys upgrade to 6800's when they drop to a
reasonable price.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

You people are wrong. It does not make sense to buy two 6600GTs at once for
sli. It would be better to buy one 6800GT. But for the enthusiast on a
budget it does make sense to buy a sli mobo and one pci-e card today and
another down the road when,

a) you can afford to buy another card.
b) the price for a matching card comes down
c) the matching card is going for cheap on ebay

Now for the gamer with a sky's the limit budget, go for two 6800GTs or
Ultras and make sure you have the fastest AMD FX you can buy.

DaveL

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message

> <Not from the reviews ive been reading ??
>

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:02:00 +1100, "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote:
>
>>2 SLI still slower than single 6800 GT card according to benchmark @the
>>toms
>>hardware.
>>
>>So it's not worth it unless you SLI 6800 cards..
>>
>>"Helllo" <scampy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Just a thought i had. Was thinking of adding a socket 939 3500 cpu as
>>> well :)
>>>
>>> My old pc3200 ram would be ok with it still right? Not need for DDR2
>>> ram ??
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

> 2 6600 GT's are faster than the 6800 and is much cheaper. 1 6600 GT is
> faster
> than the ATI 9800 XT. You can alwys upgrade to 6800's when they drop to a
> reasonable price.

> 2 6600 GT's are faster than the 6800 and is much cheaper. 1 6600 GT is
> faster
> than the ATI 9800 XT. You can alwys upgrade to 6800's when they drop to a
> reasonable price.

Two 6600 GT's are cheaper than one 6800? Faster, maybe. Not cheaper.

I just got a BFG 6800 GT OC for $330. 6600 GT's are still around $200 each.
I've seen the 6800 Ultras go for a little over $400. I'm sure someone will
offer different pricing, but.......

Current socket 939 boards and CPU's don't support DDR2. AMD will probably
adopt DDR2 later this year.

"Helllo" <scampy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Just a thought i had. Was thinking of adding a socket 939 3500 cpu as
> well :)
>
> My old pc3200 ram would be ok with it still right? Not need for DDR2
> ram ??
>
> Thanks.

In order for SLI to work, the nVidia drivers must have been programmed for
>each specific game. If the games you wish to play are not among the *15*
listed here:

>http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_sli_scalableapps.html

>Then the 2nd card sits idle. Still as enthusiastic about SLI?

Are you stupid or what?

> In order for SLI to work, the nVidia drivers must have been programmed for
> each specific game. If the games you wish to play are not among the *15*
> listed here:
>
> http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_sli_scalableapps.html
>
> Then the 2nd card sits idle. Still as enthusiastic about SLI?

"NVIDIA® SLIT is a breakthrough technology that allows many applications to
see large increases in performance and playability. The following is an
example list of apps that scale using NVIDIA's SLI technology."

note "The following is an EXAMPLE list of apps that scale using NVIDIA's SLI
technology"

Indeed, I am stupid, as are the guys at HardOCP:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzEx

and the guys at the Tech Report:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/geforce6600gt-sli/index.x?pg=1

Then again, the same guys also bash boring eMachines PCs and AOL users, so
maybe there is something here...

> Are you stupid or what?

If an application doesn't yet have a profile, it will generally default to
single-GPU rendering, although NVIDIA allows one to choose "multi-GPU
rendering" as a global default in the driver. In this case, apps without
profiles appear to default to SFR mode.

If you force multi-GPU rendering, does it actually show a performance gain
at high resolutions? Any visual artifacts?

First of One wrote:
> If you force multi-GPU rendering, does it actually show a performance gain
> at high resolutions? Any visual artifacts?

There is no need to force multi-GPU in UT2004, it's one of the games
that defaults to SLI in the driver using split-frame rendering and works
fine..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada