Diff between 6800 and 6800 ultra?

Probably gonna get the vanilla 6800 but would still like to know any
differences besides clock speed.Thanks

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

The 6800 has 12 pipes. The 6800 Ultra and GT have 16 pipes.

DaveL

"YanquiDawg" <yanquidawg@aol.com> wrote in message
> Probably gonna get the vanilla 6800 but would still like to know any
> differences besides clock speed.Thanks

The 6800 has 12 pixel pipelines, 5 vertex pipelines, and uses DDR memory.

The 6800 Ultra has 16 pixel pipelines, 6 vertex pipelines, and uses GDDR3
memory.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The 6800 has 12 pipes. The 6800 Ultra and GT have 16 pipes.
>
> DaveL
>

> "YanquiDawg" <yanquidawg@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Probably gonna get the vanilla 6800 but would still like to know any
>> differences besides clock speed.Thanks

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

how about the core speed and memory speed?

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:39:45 +1100, Chingy wrote:

> how about the core speed and memory speed?
>
> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> The 6800 has 12 pipes. The 6800 Ultra and GT have 16 pipes.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "YanquiDawg" <yanquidawg@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Probably gonna get the vanilla 6800 but would still like to know any
>>> differences besides clock speed.Thanks

if memory serves, the non ultras are 300mhz gts are 350 and ultras are
400mhz

i should add the gt's and ultras have a broken video processor which means
they cant hardware decode mpeg4 like the nonultra and 6600 can

"ewan" <epaton@null.org> wrote in message

> i should add the gt's and ultras have a broken video processor which means
> they cant hardware decode mpeg4 like the nonultra and 6600 can

Says Who?

6800's have a problem with VMR9, not MPEG4.
Silvertip
"ewan" <epaton@null.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:39:45 +1100, Chingy wrote:
>
> > how about the core speed and memory speed?
> >
> > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> The 6800 has 12 pipes. The 6800 Ultra and GT have 16 pipes.
> >>
> >> DaveL
> >>

> >> "YanquiDawg" <yanquidawg@aol.com> wrote in message
> >>

> if memory serves, the non ultras are 300mhz gts are 350 and ultras are
> 400mhz
>
> i should add the gt's and ultras have a broken video processor which means
> they cant hardware decode mpeg4 like the nonultra and 6600 can

"ewan" <epaton@null.org> wrote in message

> i should add the gt's and ultras have a broken video processor which means
> they cant hardware decode mpeg4 like the nonultra and 6600 can

Here's an interesting link on the subject, I'm not sure how I feel about the
whole issue, though I sense NV40 owners are in for some payback.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2305

Is there a hacked bios to turn on the extrao pipelines?

YanquiDawg wrote:
> Is there a hacked bios to turn on the extrao pipelines?

There are tools for that, but you get no guarantees that the pipelines
you unlock actually work. Plus the fact you get slower memory with the
vanilla, so you won't get it's memory clock as high as a GT/Ultra.

RJT wrote:

> YanquiDawg wrote:
>> Is there a hacked bios to turn on the extrao pipelines?
>
> There are tools for that, but you get no guarantees that the pipelines
> you unlock actually work. Plus the fact you get slower memory with the
> vanilla, so you won't get it's memory clock as high as a GT/Ultra.

My Asus V9999 is a plain FX6800 but does come with 256 MB of DDR3. Perhaps
it's the exception, I don't know. It's base speeds are 325/700, but it
easily overclocks to 375/1020 with stock cooling.

--
dvus