What's my bottleneck?

Hi all,

Here are my specs:

P4 2.4 533 FSB
1 gig of 2100PC SDRAM Memory
Geforce 4ti 4800 (128)
250 Gig of HD 7200 RPM

Nothing has been overclocked, and I want to spend about $300 in
upgrades. I've been playing HL 2, and it's been stalling on me as well
as crashing at times. Where do you guys think my bottleneck is? Where
should I spend the money so I could play more 3D intensive graphics game
without crashing or stalling?

And you might consider yer OS/drivers ... HL2 for example does not run well
on my win98/nvidia drivers but runs great on my winXP/nvidia drivers.

"Superlifer" <superlifer@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> P4 2.4 533 FSB
> 1 gig of 2100PC SDRAM Memory
> Geforce 4ti 4800 (128)
> 250 Gig of HD 7200 RPM
>
> Nothing has been overclocked, and I want to spend about $300 in
> upgrades. I've been playing HL 2, and it's been stalling on me as well
> as crashing at times. Where do you guys think my bottleneck is? Where
> should I spend the money so I could play more 3D intensive graphics game
> without crashing or stalling?

"Superlifer" <superlifer@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> P4 2.4 533 FSB
> 1 gig of 2100PC SDRAM Memory
> Geforce 4ti 4800 (128)
> 250 Gig of HD 7200 RPM
>
> Nothing has been overclocked, and I want to spend about $300 in upgrades.
> I've been playing HL 2, and it's been stalling on me as well as crashing
> at times. Where do you guys think my bottleneck is? Where should I spend
> the money so I could play more 3D intensive graphics game without crashing
> or stalling?

The memory is quite slow, and the graphics card isnt too up to date.
Why its crashing is a different matter, and could easily be dodgy memory.
I dont know what prices are like over there, but generally a £1=$1
comparison is reasonable for electronics prices, which is unfair seeing as
£1 is actually about $2
Anyway, this is what i would spend £300 on the above system

Item one - good cpu cooler, such as an arctic cooling freezer, thermalright
xp-120 etc. Then overclock it, you should get about 3.0ghz out of it which
is pretty reasonable. But your memory will need to be up to the job so..
Item two - 1gb of quality (Geil, Crucial, OCZ..) memory, PC3200 speed,
CAS2.5 latency, preferably with heatspreaders
Item three - Not being aware of prices, get prices for the two above then
spend whatever you can on a graphics card. A 6600GT would be a good bet, or
something from the 6800 range if you can afford it.

BigJim

I have basically the same system except the video card. I have a ti4200 gs
which runs hl2 fine. My memory is 2700. BTW I have the chip OC to 2.6.