Final Fantasy XI Players - How is 6800 Ultra?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2005 8:40:57 AM

My shitty GeForce FX 5600XT is about to come out of my PC. This is a
shitty graphics card and I'm going to replace it with the top of the line
current generation GeForce FX 6800 Ultra (or is the GT technically better?)

Anyway, the information for Final Fantasy XI says that the new 6800 line
isn't specifically supported, but it doesn't say it won't work. I wondered
if anybody here plays that game. How is it with the 6800?

Thanks,
Damaeus
February 7, 2005 12:00:09 PM

Before you consider purchasing a 6800GT or Ultra, you need to first see if
the rest of your hardware is up to speed. Another consideration is whether
to go AGP or PCI-E. Why spend big bucks on an AGP card when PCI-E is taking
over?

DaveL

"Damaeus" <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote in message
news:D 4vd015tc7a04r6aib9afs51dolhbppcg3@4ax.com...
> My shitty GeForce FX 5600XT is about to come out of my PC. This is a
> shitty graphics card and I'm going to replace it with the top of the line
> current generation GeForce FX 6800 Ultra (or is the GT technically
> better?)
>
> Anyway, the information for Final Fantasy XI says that the new 6800 line
> isn't specifically supported, but it doesn't say it won't work. I
> wondered
> if anybody here plays that game. How is it with the 6800?
>
> Thanks,
> Damaeus
February 7, 2005 9:16:03 PM

IF your card support direct3d latest version eg directx 9c or whatever it is
now, then u can play almost any games eg old or new.

Ultra usually have 50 mhz cpu clock higher then GT version therefore ultra
will always be better then GT.,.,.,however u can buy GT overclock it to
ultra speeds both got same 16 pipelines.

"Damaeus" <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote in message
news:D 4vd015tc7a04r6aib9afs51dolhbppcg3@4ax.com...
> My shitty GeForce FX 5600XT is about to come out of my PC. This is a
> shitty graphics card and I'm going to replace it with the top of the line
> current generation GeForce FX 6800 Ultra (or is the GT technically
> better?)
>
> Anyway, the information for Final Fantasy XI says that the new 6800 line
> isn't specifically supported, but it doesn't say it won't work. I
> wondered
> if anybody here plays that game. How is it with the 6800?
>
> Thanks,
> Damaeus
Related resources
February 8, 2005 12:03:20 AM

i ran the benchmark for FF11 using a 2.8GHz P4 with 1GB ram and a 6800GT and
i got 6700 in the score chart which aint too bad

hope this helps
sp
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:58:16 AM

sp wrote:
> i ran the benchmark for FF11 using a 2.8GHz P4 with 1GB ram and a 6800GT and
> i got 6700 in the score chart which aint too bad
>
> hope this helps
> sp

I ran this on a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 GB DDR266 and a 6600 GT and got 3081.
FYI. Was jerky at times, but the demo ran perfectly.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 9:55:25 AM

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "sp"
<die.all.spammers@bloodbath.com> posted on Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:03:20 GMT:

> i ran the benchmark for FF11 using a 2.8GHz P4 with 1GB ram and a 6800GT and
> i got 6700 in the score chart which aint too bad

Benchmark, huh? Well, I'll see if I can figure out how to run it and I'll
post the results here.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 9:55:27 AM

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
posted on Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:00:09 -0800:

> Before you consider purchasing a 6800GT or Ultra, you need to first see if
> the rest of your hardware is up to speed. Another consideration is whether
> to go AGP or PCI-E. Why spend big bucks on an AGP card when PCI-E is taking
> over?

Because I'll be happy with an AGP card for at least a year. And I just
bought an Athlon XP 3200+ last week.

However... since you brought it up, it would be nice to know what graphics
card would be good for this CPU -- something that's a good match so neither
the CPU nor the graphics card becomes a bottleneck that constricts the
datastream.

Is there some formula I can use to figure this out?

In the past I've just bought whatever I could afford while keeping future
upgrades in mind. For example, my previous motherboard was an Abit
KT7A-RAID w/ Athlon TBird 1200 and a GeForce 2 Ultra graphics card. Well,
I came home one day with a black screen and an inability to boot. So I
went shopping for a motherboard, CPU and RAM. Well, I didn't have much
money to spend, but I knew I'd want to upgrade later on. I decided on the
Abit NF7, which is what I have now, and since cash was short, I got an
Athlon TBird 1333, and 256MB of DDR400. I got the NF7 because I knew it
would take the Athlon XP processors, and I got DDR400 because that matches
the FSB of the motherboard.

The fan went out on my GeForce 2 Ultra, plus I was figuring that ANY FX
card would be better than a GeForce 2 Ultra, so I decided to go ahead and
just buy something. I figure the 5600XT is about equivalent to a GeForce 2
Ultra. I mean, I'm seeing the same performance here.

I didn't get my CPU upgrade as quickly as I wanted due to a series of
unfortunate vehicular catastrophies, but I did, just last week, put this XP
3200+ in here. So I'm not going to be shopping for a new CPU for a while.
I am, however, going to get either two 512 or two 1024 sticks of DDR400.

Yes, I'll eventually have to make the leap to PCIe. But if the 6800GT or
Ultra is good enough, then I'm sure it'll provide dazzling gameplay for the
next twelve months, which is really all I'm looking for at this point.

Then again, after I purchase one more AGP graphics card, my next one
probably will be PCIe, which means a new motherboard and CPU again...
probably RAM, too, now that DDR2 is here.

So now I'll ask the obvious... what nVidia card is the best match for an
Abit NF7 with an Athlon XP 3200+ w/400 FSB? Perhaps the GeForce FX5950
Ultra? It doesn't make sense for my last AGP card to have extra overhead
that never gets used due to CPU limitations, and the same goes in reverse
for the CPU overhead not being used due to graphics card limitations, which
is what I have now with the 5600XT.

Damaeus
February 8, 2005 10:20:59 AM

do it on low res and then compare it to this chart. just to remind anyone
this is from the actual site and not me

Cannot run - 999: "Too Weak" PC
Unfortunately, we assume that the specifications of your computer do not
meet requirements to run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows. If you have this
score even though your computer meets the minimum system requirements,
please adjust the software resident on your PC.
If your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements, please
consider upgrading your machine.

1000 to 1499: "Easy Prey" PC
We assume that your computer can run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows.
However, your frame rate may drop when in a party with lots of effects or in
crowded cities.
You should set the game settings (such as resolution and texture) as low as
possible.
In addition, if these symptoms bother you, you may consider upgrading your
computer (such as increasing the amount of memory or upgrading your graphics
card, etc).

1500 to 1999: "Decent Challenge" PC
We assume that your computer can easily run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows
with the default settings. If the frame rate bothers you when you run FINAL
FANTASY XI for Windows, you may change the game settings (resolution or
texture settings, etc) or adjust the display of weather effects.

2000 to 2499: "Even Match" PC
We assume that your computer can run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows enjoyably
with the default settings. You should be able to play easily with weather
effects on.

2500 to 2999: "Tough" PC
We assume that your computer can run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows enjoyably
with the default settings. If your video card exceeds the recommended system
requirements, we recommend that you increase the resolution of FINAL FANTASY
XI for Windows. FINAL FANTASY XI might run just as smoothly as in low
resolution mode.

3000 to 3999: "Very tough" PC
We assume that your computer can run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows enjoyably
with the default settings. If your video card exceeds the recommended system
requirements, it may be possible to run "FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows"
easily even in high resolution mode.

4000 or above: "Incredibly tough" PC
We assume that your computer can run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows incredibly
well with the default settings. If your video card exceeds the recommended
system requirements, it may be possible to run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows
easily even in high resolution mode or with bump mapping enabled.

7000 or above: "Impossible to gauge"
We assume that your computer can run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows
excellently with the default settings. If your video card exceeds the
recommended system requirements, we recommend that you try out various
configuration settings of FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows.

mine got the 2nd highest score on this so i am quite pleased. to get it go
to www.squaresoft.com (this will then take you thru the motions) just go to
games then ff11 and find the benchmark. it is 78MB big so make sure u got
broadband otherwise your gonna be a while

hope this helps

sp
February 8, 2005 11:27:41 AM

This review discusses cpu scaling of 6600GT and 6800x cards. If you get a
6800GT or Ultra, you will not see the full potential of the card with your
current cpu. It's something to consider.

> [...]
> I am, however, going to get either two 512 or two 1024 sticks of DDR400.
>
> Yes, I'll eventually have to make the leap to PCIe. But if the 6800GT or
> Ultra is good enough, then I'm sure it'll provide dazzling gameplay for
> the
> next twelve months, which is really all I'm looking for at this point.
>
> Then again, after I purchase one more AGP graphics card, my next one
> probably will be PCIe, which means a new motherboard and CPU again...
> probably RAM, too, now that DDR2 is here.
>
> So now I'll ask the obvious... what nVidia card is the best match for an
> Abit NF7 with an Athlon XP 3200+ w/400 FSB? Perhaps the GeForce FX5950
> Ultra? It doesn't make sense for my last AGP card to have extra overhead
> that never gets used due to CPU limitations, and the same goes in reverse
> for the CPU overhead not being used due to graphics card limitations,

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 6:46:22 PM

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Sharanga Dayananda
<sharanga@gmail.com> posted on Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:58:16 GMT:

> I ran this on a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 GB DDR266 and a 6600 GT and got 3081.
> FYI. Was jerky at times, but the demo ran perfectly.

Was that score on low or high res?

I got a 3067 on low res with a 2.19GHz Athlon XP, 512MB DDR400 and GeForce
FX5600XT. High res was almost as good at 3059. At low res, the demo ran
perfectly. At high res, it also ran perfectly except right toward the end
when they layed on a bunch of special effects with the crystals and all.

Damaeus
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:24:30 AM

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
posted on Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:27:41 -0800:

> This review discusses cpu scaling of 6600GT and 6800x cards. If you get a
> 6800GT or Ultra, you will not see the full potential of the card with your
> current cpu. It's something to consider.

This review?

Damaeus
February 9, 2005 12:11:00 PM

Ha ha. Sorry. Somehow I spaced off posting the link. Here you go:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=233...

> In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
> posted on Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:27:41 -0800:
>
>> This review discusses cpu scaling of 6600GT and 6800x cards. If you get
>> 6800GT or Ultra, you will not see the full potential of the card with
>> your
>> current cpu. It's something to consider.
>
> This review?
>
> Damaeus
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 9:34:18 AM

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
posted on Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:11:00 -0800:

> Ha ha. Sorry. Somehow I spaced off posting the link. Here you go:
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=233...

Here's an article which I think explains it even better:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/136/

Okay... And I knew there would be a certain point where extra GPU potential
would go unused. You'd think that someone would come up with a chart that
goes something like this:

CPU Don't buy anything better than:
Athlon 1.2 GHz - GeForce 2 Ultra
Athlon 1.5 GHz - GeForce 4 Ti4200
Athlon 2.2 GHz - GeForce FX 5950 Ultra

I wish someone would... like Tom's Hardware or something. There has to be
some formula we could use to figure out exactly which graphics card would
be best for our CPUs.

Damaeus
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 9:39:20 AM

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
posted on Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:11:00 -0800:

> Ha ha. Sorry. Somehow I spaced off posting the link. Here you go:
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=233...

Hmm. I've read some articles that say that SOME overkill is actually good
in the case of graphics cards. It allows you to run at higher resolutions
which aren't CPU dependent, and you can turn on more of the eye candy, I
guess so the GPU has something to keep it busy while waiting for the CPU to
handle the physics of it all.

So while a 6800GT might not be used to its fullest potential, I would be
sure to get the best I could possibly squeeze out of my hardware.

If there's not much price difference between a 5950 Ultra and a 6800GT,
I'll probably go with the latter and also put another 512MB of DDR400 for
dual memory pipeline.

Damaeus
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:46:28 AM

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
posted on Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:11:00 -0800:

> Ha ha. Sorry. Somehow I spaced off posting the link. Here you go:
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=233...

Oh, to hell with all of it. I just ordered a 6800GT from NewEgg.com for
$417.35, including overnight shipping and same-day order processing. It
should be in my hot little hands sometime Friday if indeed the order is
procesed today (Thursday). The actual price of the card was $388 for the
eVGA brand.

Yes, this card may be overkill for an Athlon XP 3200+, but I've always
liked a little overkill. Either way, it should be damned beautiful. Plus,
PCIe might be the new big thing, but just like AGP and PCI, I'm sure AGP
cards will be around for the next generation, just like for a time we could
find PCI and AGP versions of various cards.

Damaeus
February 10, 2005 6:55:32 PM

Great. I sure you will be happy. And like you said in the other post, even
if you can't max it out with cpu power, you should be able to run in hi res
and higher AA settings.

> In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
> posted on Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:11:00 -0800:
>
>> Ha ha. Sorry. Somehow I spaced off posting the link. Here you go:
>> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=233...
>
> Oh, to hell with all of it. I just ordered a 6800GT from NewEgg.com for
> $417.35, including overnight shipping and same-day order processing. It
> should be in my hot little hands sometime Friday if indeed the order is
> procesed today (Thursday). The actual price of the card was $388 for the
> eVGA brand.
>
> Yes, this card may be overkill for an Athlon XP 3200+, but I've always
> liked a little overkill. Either way, it should be damned beautiful.
> Plus,
> PCIe might be the new big thing, but just like AGP and PCI, I'm sure AGP
> cards will be around for the next generation, just like for a time we
> could
> find PCI and AGP versions of various cards.
>
> Damaeus
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:47:07 AM

Damaeus wrote:
> In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Sharanga Dayananda
> <sharanga@gmail.com> posted on Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:58:16 GMT:
>

>>I ran this on a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 GB DDR266 and a 6600 GT and got 3081.
>>FYI. Was jerky at times, but the demo ran perfectly.
>

> Was that score on low or high res?
>
> I got a 3067 on low res with a 2.19GHz Athlon XP, 512MB DDR400 and GeForce
> FX5600XT. High res was almost as good at 3059. At low res, the demo ran
> perfectly. At high res, it also ran perfectly except right toward the end
> when they layed on a bunch of special effects with the crystals and all.
>
> Damaeus
High Res.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 11:41:20 PM

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Sharanga Dayananda
<sharanga@gmail.com> posted on Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:47:07 GMT:

> High Res.

I'm planning on running the demo again now that I have the 6800GT in here,
but I only have an hour before work. Heh. I can't stand it when I'm not
playing this damned game.
!