Quiet 6800 Ultra/GT?

Need opinions on quiet brand of nvidia 6800 PCI-E card for a HT/gaming PC.
Thanks in advance.

Noise won't be a deciding factor if you decide to install a Arctic Cooling
NVSilencer in place of the stock heat sink/fan. The extra $30 is small
compared to the cost of the card.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:55:15 +0000, Erin O'Connor wrote:

> Need opinions on quiet brand of nvidia 6800 PCI-E card for a HT/gaming PC.
> Thanks in advance.

gigabyte do a passively cooled 6800nu which seems like the best solution,
it realy depends upon how much noise bothers you, i had an msi rated at
28dba and it was loud enough to piss me off. i only have 2 fans in my rig,
a psu and a cpu cooler which may be getting replaced if i can find a
heatpipe type cooler that will work.

i may be a bit of a noise freak but i watch a lot of tv and movies on my
rig (the benifits of a 28" crt monitor) and fan noise is a big pain, if
you are just after a gaming rig its probably not going to be as big a deal.

I bought the NVsilencer for my BFG 6800 GT OC and yes it is quieter and
cooler.
I like how it expels the warm air out the back of the case.
Be sure you have a slot empty next to your video card.

> Noise won't be a deciding factor if you decide to install a Arctic Cooling
> NVSilencer in place of the stock heat sink/fan. The extra $30 is small
> compared to the cost of the card.

> "Erin O'Connor" <graerin@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> Need opinions on quiet brand of nvidia 6800 PCI-E card for a HT/gaming
>> PC.
>> Thanks in advance.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> Noise won't be a deciding factor if you decide to install a Arctic Cooling
> NVSilencer in place of the stock heat sink/fan. The extra $30 is small
> compared to the cost of the card.

This is all true (in fact I have a VGA Silencer myself). *However*, I would
point out two things:

1. The stock cooler on a GT is really pretty quiet anyway. The fan is
fairly noisy when it speeds up to full speed at boot time, but it then
quietens down once windows is up. Whilst surfing etc, you are unlikely to
be bothered by the stock fan unless your rig is *extremely* quiet. All this
worry over fan noise is unwarranted, imho. For example, my GT with stock
fan was certainly quiter than my old ATI 9700 pro, and no-one complained
about the fan noise on that.

In my current rig I have 2 120mm Vantec **Stealth** case fans and these are
way more noisy than my GT reference fan!

2. You will almost certainly invalidate the warranty by replacing the stock
fan with a VGA Silencer. Yes, you can try to carefully put the stock fan
back, but in reality it will likely show that you have messed with it. So
if your card develops a fault of any kind, then you are probably stuffed.
So think carefully before embarking down this route. $30 may not be a lot
for a VGA Silencer, but if it means trashing a $300 card then that could
hurt.

My advice to you (the OP) would be to get a GT (nVidia reference design) and
see how you get on with it. I doubt it will be a problem for you as is. If
it is, then yes, consider a VGA Silencer, but bear in mind point 2 above.

Chip

> *extremely* quiet. All this worry over fan noise is unwarranted,
> imho. For example, my GT with stock fan was certainly quiter than my
Worry over fan noise is warranted. The real problem is that so many
(including those who design these things) believe it is unwarranted.

> old ATI 9700 pro, and no-one complained about the fan noise on that.
Many have complained. Otherwise Arctic Cooling would have never felt the
need to produce the original ATI Silencer.

> In my current rig I have 2 120mm Vantec **Stealth** case fans and
> these are way more noisy than my GT reference fan!
"Stealth", "whisper", etc. are terms that have been abused by marketing
departments to describe non-quiet parts.

See http://www.silentpcreview.com/ for the true info on quiet stuff.

FYI, the NVSilenver products have been found to not satisfy the truly noise
concious. I think the favorites now are the VF-700 HSF from Zalman and the
various heat pipe solutions out there.

tq96 wrote:

> "Stealth", "whisper", etc. are terms that have been abused by marketing
> departments to describe non-quiet parts.
>
> See http://www.silentpcreview.com/ for the true info on quiet stuff.
>
> FYI, the NVSilenver products have been found to not satisfy the truly noise
> concious. I think the favorites now are the VF-700 HSF from Zalman and the
> various heat pipe solutions out there.

I have to agree on that one.