5900XT BIOS Upgrade

Just bought an XFX GeForce FX 5900XT. On the product web page on XFX's
site it says there is a BIOS upgrade that puts the core clock speed up
by 100Mhz to 800Mhz.

Would i be right in assuming this is the same thing as the BIOS that
makes a 5900XT think its a 5950? Or is this something else?

Any info on this or the other BIOS upgrade would be great, thanks all

Matt

--
The poster previously known as PYRO-Maniak
Gamertag: GLY7CH

[GLY7CH] wrote:
> Just bought an XFX GeForce FX 5900XT. On the product web page on XFX's
> site it says there is a BIOS upgrade that puts the core clock speed up
> by 100Mhz to 800Mhz.
>
> Would i be right in assuming this is the same thing as the BIOS that
> makes a 5900XT think its a 5950? Or is this something else?
>
> Any info on this or the other BIOS upgrade would be great, thanks all
>
> Matt

No-one have any info??

--
The poster previously known as PYRO-Maniak
Gamertag: GLY7CH
Live Games: Amped 2 | Halo 2 | Links | MotoGP 2 | Ninja Gaiden | PGR2 |
Rallisport 2 | SC: PT | Top Spin

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:21:27 +0000, "[GLY7CH]"
<GLYTCH.SPAMTRAP@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Just bought an XFX GeForce FX 5900XT. On the product web page on XFX's
>site it says there is a BIOS upgrade that puts the core clock speed up
>by 100Mhz to 800Mhz.
>
>Would i be right in assuming this is the same thing as the BIOS that
>makes a 5900XT think its a 5950? Or is this something else?
>
>Any info on this or the other BIOS upgrade would be great, thanks all
>
>Matt

Have you tried using Coolbits.reg (see google) ?

That is the normal (software) way of changing clock speeds.
Adds the Clock Speed entry to the UI-screen.

However, your XT uses sloppier-timing parts than the non-XT,
so don't expect much spped-increase at all before you get
picture artifacts.

Is this BIOS upgrade downloadable from XFX..?
It probably raises the GPU core voltage to give it a bit more
speed. If it an "unauthorized" 3rd-party mod, or does not
apply to your <specific model> of board, do not attempt to
install it.... the very best way of making your video card into
a useless door-stop.

John Lewis

> [GLY7CH] wrote:
> > Just bought an XFX GeForce FX 5900XT. On the product web page on XFX's
> > site it says there is a BIOS upgrade that puts the core clock speed up
> > by 100Mhz to 800Mhz.
> >
> > Would i be right in assuming this is the same thing as the BIOS that
> > makes a 5900XT think its a 5950? Or is this something else?
> >
> > Any info on this or the other BIOS upgrade would be great, thanks all
> >
> > Matt
>
> No-one have any info??

Normally a 5900XT@5900 or 5900XT@5950 bios flash doesn´t make the graphics
card run faster due to larger graphics memory timings.

Try Google..

..

John Lewis wrote:
> Have you tried using Coolbits.reg (see google) ?
>
> That is the normal (software) way of changing clock speeds.
> Adds the Clock Speed entry to the UI-screen.
>
> However, your XT uses sloppier-timing parts than the non-XT,
> so don't expect much spped-increase at all before you get
> picture artifacts.
>
> Is this BIOS upgrade downloadable from XFX..?
> It probably raises the GPU core voltage to give it a bit more
> speed. If it an "unauthorized" 3rd-party mod, or does not
> apply to your <specific model> of board, do not attempt to
> install it.... the very best way of making your video card into
> a useless door-stop.
>
> John Lewis

Yes dont worry i know all about coolbits and the OC capabilities of the
5900XT, thanks anyway.

As far as i know its available from XFX (therefore official) as its
mentioned on the product spec.
http://www.xfxforce.co.uk/product_view.php?sku=PVT35LNA see under
performance.

From what ive read about the card it seams that the XFX 5900XT is one
of the best of the 5900XT's and has an excellent overclocking
capability. Seams that with this BIOS as well it could easily perform as
well as a standard 5900 or even a 5950 at a push. I also heard that XFX
used better memory components on the card than other manufacturers have
done.

So anyway, does anyone else have any experiance with this model and/or
the discussed BIOS upgrade?

--

"[GLY7CH]" wrote:
> John Lewis wrote:
> > Have you tried using Coolbits.reg (see google) ?
> >
> > That is the normal (software) way of changing clock speeds.
> > Adds the Clock Speed entry to the UI-screen.
> >
> > However, your XT uses sloppier-timing parts than the non-XT,
>
> > so don't expect much spped-increase at all before you get
> > picture artifacts.
> >
> > Is this BIOS upgrade downloadable from XFX..?
> > It probably raises the GPU core voltage to give it a bit
> more
> > speed. If it an "unauthorized" 3rd-party mod, or does not
> > apply to your <specific model> of board, do not
> attempt to
> > install it.... the very best way of making your video card
> into
> > a useless door-stop.
> >
> > John Lewis
>
> Yes dont worry i know all about coolbits and the OC
> capabilities of the
> 5900XT, thanks anyway.
>
> As far as i know its available from XFX (therefore official)
> as its
> mentioned on the product spec.
> http://www.xfxforce.co.uk/product_view.php?sku=PVT35LNA see
> under
> performance.
>
> From what ive read about the card it seams that the XFX
> 5900XT is one
> of the best of the 5900XT's and has an excellent overclocking
> capability. Seams that with this BIOS as well it could easily
> perform as
> well as a standard 5900 or even a 5950 at a push. I also heard
> that XFX
> used better memory components on the card than other
> manufacturers have
> done.
>
> So anyway, does anyone else have any experiance with this
> model and/or
> the discussed BIOS upgrade?
>

> --
> The poster previously known as PYRO-Maniak
> Gamertag: GLY7CH
> Live Games: Amped 2 | Halo 2 | Links | MotoGP 2 | Ninja Gaiden
> | PGR2 |
> Rallisport 2 | SC: PT | Top Spin

Hey Gly7ch. I’ve got the same card and have been looking for the
mystical bios for three months now. What I do know is that the upgrade
of the 5900 to 5950 is workable. I have got it to work on two of my
friends’ machines. However, they did not have the XFXforce 5900XT.
They had some strange branded 5900.
What I have managed to do is use leadteks 5950 bios to flash my 5900XT
up to a 5950 ultra. It showed up everywhere as being a 5950 ultra but
as I didn’t get anywhere near the performance increase quoted I re
flashed it back down. I am guessing but if I can get XFX’x own 5950
ultra bios it will work better, but once again I can’t even find that
anywhere.
Anyway try this link, it may or may help you out.

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/guides/5900_Flash_Mod/

Good luck
Bison

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-5900XT-BIOS-Upgrade-ftopict48036.html