Want to upgrade video card whats the best "I" can use?

Hello folks,

I have a question, I do a lot of gaming and I want a new video card
here. I am normal slow in upgrading but it's that time. I have 2 questions
here.

I have a P4 2.66 now

windows XP home

NVIDIA Ti-4600 8X AGP card now! (MSI)

512 Megs memory (patriot brand)

An ECS L4VXA2 motherboard (going to upgrade but I believe here an important
fact)
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?CategoryID=1&Typeid=1&detailid=343&DetailName=MANUAL&DetailDesc=L4VXA2(1.0C)&MenuID=35&LanID=0
(above link directly to ECS site to get Adobe version of manual (if anyone
cares))

Creative labs Audigy Z2 sound card.

So Question #1) What is the best video card my computer (motherboard can
handle (I am really only interested in Nvidia this is a price no object
question? )(can it take advantage of the 6800?? and / or the 256 Megs))

and Question #2) IF I had a say $200 budget what card will give me best bang
for the buck. if I had to go to say $225 It might be worth it but really
want to stay $200 or under.
(amounts are all in $USD)

I have been reading toms hardware guide and after seeing FPS ratings it
breaks my heart to see how poorly the 4600 rates now. plus I tend to think I
notice it in my FPS games when ppl run circles around me and I die. ( I need
to level the playing field a bit. :)
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-04.html
(link is to toms hardware VGA benchmarks I have been looking at.)

my motherboard will NOT handle PCI express so AGP is really only option, and
I never had any luck with ATI and always flawless performance with NVIDIA.

Thanks for your input, and time.

Kedrid

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

Ok, if you can't afford a 6800GT ($350US), a 6800 which has a good history
of enabling the extra pipelines using Rivatuner is your next choice. Which
brand to look for I couldn't say (they probably are roughly the same), check
forums in nvnews.net xtremesystems.org overclockers.com

Do not buy any flavor of 6600 or lower, 6800 or higher is the only one worth
paying money for.

rms

Thanks,

I can probably afford the $350 but was just trying to get out of a new
card cheap. I really want the 6800, and haven't ever even considered the
X800 or any ATI card. Except I wish I could get the 6800 extreme I know any
6800 card is a huge improvement for me. I am curious though you sound
certain about not getting the "6600 or lower", why? I have also read that
the 6800 can give as big as a 50 to 70% performance boost. Since this is for
game play use, that is a significant claim. wow that kind of performance
boost would really rock.

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Ok, if you can't afford a 6800GT ($350US), a 6800 which has a good history
> of enabling the extra pipelines using Rivatuner is your next choice.
> Which brand to look for I couldn't say (they probably are roughly the
> same), check forums in nvnews.net xtremesystems.org overclockers.com
>
> Do not buy any flavor of 6600 or lower, 6800 or higher is the only one
> worth paying money for.
>
> rms

Have to disagree with the above poster. The 6600GT are a fine card that
produce excellent results and regularly win awards.
For the money (£150) they are probably the best bang for buck at the moment.

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Ok, if you can't afford a 6800GT ($350US), a 6800 which has a good history
> of enabling the extra pipelines using Rivatuner is your next choice.
Which
> brand to look for I couldn't say (they probably are roughly the same),
check
> forums in nvnews.net xtremesystems.org overclockers.com
>
> Do not buy any flavor of 6600 or lower, 6800 or higher is the only one
worth
> paying money for.
>
> rms

The truth is yes, I wanted to opinions on the best video card, (bang for
the buck) but also I just wanted to be sure that IF I could afford a 6800
(and I think I can) would it even work in my system? would I be able to get
some, most or all the eye candy and features available on the card.

"Helinut" <helinut@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Have to disagree with the above poster. The 6600GT are a fine card that
> produce excellent results and regularly win awards.
> For the money (£150) they are probably the best bang for buck at the
> moment.
>
> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> Ok, if you can't afford a 6800GT ($350US), a 6800 which has a good
>> history
>> of enabling the extra pipelines using Rivatuner is your next choice.
> Which
>> brand to look for I couldn't say (they probably are roughly the same),
> check
>> forums in nvnews.net xtremesystems.org overclockers.com
>>
>> Do not buy any flavor of 6600 or lower, 6800 or higher is the only one
> worth
>> paying money for.
>>
>> rms

Kedrid:

> IF I could afford a 6800 (and I think I can) would it even work in my
> system? would I be able to get some, most or all the eye candy and
> features available on the card.

Yes, you are not CPU limited yet.
--
Mac Cool