new hard drive won't boot

I posted earlier about putting a bigger hard drive into my GP6-400. I'm
running Win98FE with the Powerleap 1.4 Ghz processor. BIOS is
4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14, which I believe is the last one available for this
system.

I bought a WD 80GB drive and used WD's Data Lifeguard Tools to set it up
and copy my old drive. As a slave I can access files just fine.

The problem comes when I jumper it as the master (or single). It won't
boot to Windows; it just hangs. CMOS detects it as 64GB, not 80.

Barring a newer BIOS upgrade, is my only other option to get an ATA
controller card?

Thanks, Dee
1 answer Last reply
More about hard drive boot

    Get an ATA controller card. AFAIK, there is no BIOS upgrade that will help.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 10 May 2005 10:54:49 -0400, Dee <d@d.d> wrote:

    >I posted earlier about putting a bigger hard drive into my GP6-400. I'm
    >running Win98FE with the Powerleap 1.4 Ghz processor. BIOS is
    >4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14, which I believe is the last one available for this
    >system.
    >
    >I bought a WD 80GB drive and used WD's Data Lifeguard Tools to set it up
    >and copy my old drive. As a slave I can access files just fine.
    >
    >The problem comes when I jumper it as the master (or single). It won't
    >boot to Windows; it just hangs. CMOS detects it as 64GB, not 80.
    >
    >Barring a newer BIOS upgrade, is my only other option to get an ATA
    >controller card?
    >
    >Thanks, Dee

Gateway Western Digital Hard Drives Computers