GameStop Pulls PC Version of Deus Ex: HR Off Shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuke

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Wow, there's always rumors of GameStop's unethical practices, but this seems pretty undeniable. Very scummy.

I won't be buying from Gamestop anytime soon or even ever!! This is just wrong! Even their "can't return opened packages" crap that they used to pull was one thing, but this is just crap!

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]this is blatant theft by GameStop against their customers; robbing them of something they paid for and expected to get.[/citation]

would you complain if best buy started removing the trial versions of Norton from their HP pcs before sale too?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
If i was one of the people who purchased the game and did not receive the coupon I would be asking for a full refund or a $50 credit based on me not getting what was supposed to get. They woud have to give you at least a refund as they would not be able to prove that you opened the box because they opened it first lol.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Surprisingly enough, Square Enix is backing this.

http://release.square-enix.com/na/2011/08/24_01.html

“As part of DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION's boxed offering on PC, Square Enix included a third party coupon. GameStop was not made aware of this inclusion and Square Enix respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance with their policies.

Square Enix invites gamers who want to purchase the PC version of DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION without additional coupons to buy the game at any one of over 4000 GameStop stores in North America or purchase a digital download copy online from www.gamestop.com.”

oneshott

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]this is blatant theft by GameStop against their customers; robbing them of something they paid for and expected to get.[/citation]

Not really because they give you PLENTY of warning.

sieged

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
IndignantSkeptic :

this is blatant theft by GameStop against their customers; robbing them of something they paid for and expected to get.

would you complain if best buy started removing the trial versions of Norton from their HP pcs before sale too?

Best Buy can remove all of their Bloatware and it would make 90% of us happy.

G

"While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new."

Funny how if I tried to RETURN something at Gamestop with the exact same bullshit promise they wouldn't accept it...

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]sieged[/nom]Best Buy can remove all of their Bloatware and it would make 90% of us happy.[/citation]

Seconded.

[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]Surprisingly enough, Square Enix is backing this.[/citation]

That's not surprising. Square Enix is the nice guy of the gaming industry. And they can afford to be. They've had years of profit on several highly reviewed fantasy RPG series' and they publish in-house. This is the company that is STILL offering Final Fantasy XIV free (free as in with no monthly subscription), and will continue to not until Square Enix decides the game is up to snuff, but until THE CUSTOMERS tell them that it's up to snuff. I'd be surprised if they reacted badly to anything... somebody could blow a hole in the side of their building and they'd be like "Hey, we can build that new wing now."

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
This was one of the last purchases my little bro planned to buy at Gamestop (he pre-ordered it) and got the Onlive code the first day. However since Gamestop doesn't like to advertise competing products I wonder how they feel about games that require you to activate it on Steam or are made by Valve (come to think of it I haven't seen Portal 2 or L4D2 in a while on the store shelf).

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
As a customer, you have every right to be upset, imho. And as much as I dislike gamestop, it really remains to be seen who effed up here. As the article said, there are contracts in place between GS Square Enix Onlive, and whatever they contain will determine, who is going to tuck in their tail.
On a related note though, isn't that what a lot of OnLive opponents have been demanding: Onlive game full pass with a retail copy? Granted the first point of purchase is the retail store, but would that not be a model that EVERYONE can get behind? Some people get shiny boxes and can play on their little basement Cray, and others can play the game on a streaming service if it's more convenient to them.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Who the phuc buys PC games from GameStop anyway?!?!?!? Steam, D2D, GoG, hell even Origin are available with better deals. GameStop is console only. And please stop the "I need the actualy DVD" crap. Its 2011, thats like saying I need my analogue TV, I love lead based paints, we need child labor. Its called progress, get on the digital band wagon, sooner rather than later the DVD will be gone and you with your relic DVD's are a dinosaur and you just don't realize it.

drktyger

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
sorry guys, you dont offer free products of a competitor through a company that already promotes and sells your products. you wouldnt put coupons for free walmart paper towels in paper towels sold at target. thats business 101. i know gamestop can be shady, but they are in the right on this one.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]drktyger[/nom]sorry guys, you dont offer free products of a competitor through a company that already promotes and sells your products. you wouldnt put coupons for free walmart paper towels in paper towels sold at target. thats business 101. i know gamestop can be shady, but they are in the right on this one.[/citation]

I'm sorry but your analogy is wrong. Gamestop does not produce games, they sell them.

If you were to buy Bounty paper towels (from target) that came with a coupon for free paper towels by mailing away or going to a website, and then (target) took that out because they don't want you getting free paper towels, regardless of where you are going to get them.

bobolibob

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
You also wouldn't buy a roll of paper towels that had already been opened. Even if the store "guaranteed the condition of the towels to be new".

I'm on GameStop's side for this one. Well, actually, I'm on everyone's side. If GameStop knew in advance they'd have OnLive coupons included, they wouldn't even have made the order, or accepted it.

They were duped or left out of the loop.

That puts the responsibility on Square Enix. If Square Enix did a better job of taking care of their customers (GameStop) and business associates (GameStop / OnLive) this wouldn't have happened.

I just hope that the GameStop customers do understand exactly why the pc box is open when they're standing up at the register. At that point, if the customers are not informed, then, and only then, would GameStop look bad.

I can't blame GameStop for wanting to protect themselves from helping the competition.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]I'm on GameStop's side for this one. Well, actually, I'm on everyone's side. If GameStop knew in advance they'd have OnLive coupons included, they wouldn't even have made the order, or accepted it. They were duped or left out of the loop. That puts the responsibility on Square Enix. If Square Enix did a better job of taking care of their customers (GameStop) and business associates (GameStop / OnLive) this wouldn't have happened.I just hope that the GameStop customers do understand exactly why the pc box is open when they're standing up at the register. At that point, if the customers are not informed, then, and only then, would GameStop look bad.I can't blame GameStop for wanting to protect themselves from helping the competition.[/citation]

How is this protecting themselves?

It in no way protects them from anything. And if it did in the first place then why do they sell new games at all?

New game sales are far more of a threat to there business model then ripping out free coupons for a game that was already purchased at Gamestop.

Its corporate asshatery at its finest.

And who cares what it actually was that they removed, it is irrelevant. I could of been an anything that gamestop sold.

They opened a manufacture's sealed product, removed something and then resold it as new.

It's the same as them removing the controller that comes with the system, throwing it in the trash so you have to buy one from them. I have never heard of a company doing *** like this other than gamestop, and quite frankly it is inexcusable for any major retailer to think that this is acceptable practice towards their customers.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]oneshott[/nom]Not really because they give you PLENTY of warning.[/citation]

You are incorrect. They did not make it known until they were found out to be doing such. What they were doing is opening the boxes up and then resealing them in the back with their own machine. So the people who went in and bought the game right away had no idea this was happened, and had no idea they were buying a open boxed game or that content was removed from the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.