GeForce2 MX200 to a Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I recently bought a new video card for my computer and decided to put my old
card in my son's computer. He had a GeForce2 MX 200 in his computer, an AMD
Athlon 1100 with Win98 SE and 512MB of DDR ram. I had an Xtasy GeForce4 MX
420 PCI that I had just taken out of mine and figured it should be better
than his (I was actually quite happy with it in my machine).

I started by deleting his old card from his computer (drivers, software,
etc.,) and putting my GeForce 4 in an open PCI slot. I fired his machine up.
I had downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and installed them after the
computer booted up. It said to reboot again, so I did. But it kept
restarting before finally going into safe mode. I eventually got that
problem solved by switching PCI slots on the mobo. Now to my main concern.

After getting everything loaded and the display settings set to the way I
wanted, I decided to test out some of his games already loaded on his
machine to see how much better they would look. To my surprise, the two
games I tested out looked horrible with the MX 420 in and his computer
actually seems like it is running slower now. The mouse is really lagging on
the screen (moves and stops, moves and stops) and when I move the cursor
over a menu, it takes the cursor way longer to move to what I clicked on or
to what I am pointing to. Star Wars Battlefront looked alot worse than it
did on his GeForce 2 (the nice blue skies are now just black screen and when
I tried to detect best configuration in the video options, it set everything
to low details). GTA 3 was also very "smeary" looking (the colours on the
screen were all washed out and blended together - could hardly see the
pictures on the screen while it loaded).

Did I do something wrong when changing over the card or something to cause
this? Do the games need to be deleted and reloaded with the new card in now
to take advantage of the new card( I tried configuring the options in each
game, but to no avail)? Or is the GeForce2 MX 200 just a better card than
the GeForce4 MX 420 for his machine?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the length of
this post.

TIA,
Mike

Archived from groups: alt.computer,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Mike, <mikpower71@hotmail.com>, the docile, froward bugbane, and dealer in
hides and mule driver, exhaled:

> I recently bought a new video card for my computer and decided to put
> my old card in my son's computer. He had a GeForce2 MX 200 in his
> computer, an AMD Athlon 1100 with Win98 SE and 512MB of DDR ram. I
> had an Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420 PCI that I had just taken out of mine
> and figured it should be better than his (I was actually quite happy
> with it in my machine).
>
> I started by deleting his old card from his computer (drivers,
> software, etc.,) and putting my GeForce 4 in an open PCI slot. I
> fired his machine up. I had downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia
> and installed them after the computer booted up. It said to reboot
> again, so I did. But it kept restarting before finally going into
> safe mode. I eventually got that problem solved by switching PCI
> slots on the mobo. Now to my main concern.
>
> After getting everything loaded and the display settings set to the
> way I wanted, I decided to test out some of his games already loaded
> on his machine to see how much better they would look. To my
> surprise, the two games I tested out looked horrible with the MX 420
> in and his computer actually seems like it is running slower now. The
> mouse is really lagging on the screen (moves and stops, moves and
> stops) and when I move the cursor over a menu, it takes the cursor
> way longer to move to what I clicked on or to what I am pointing to.
> Star Wars Battlefront looked alot worse than it did on his GeForce 2
> (the nice blue skies are now just black screen and when I tried to
> detect best configuration in the video options, it set everything to
> low details). GTA 3 was also very

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I recently bought a new video card for my computer and decided to put
> my old card in my son's computer. He had a GeForce2 MX 200 in his
> computer, an AMD Athlon 1100 with Win98 SE and 512MB of DDR ram. I had
> an Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420 PCI that I had just taken out of mine and
> figured it should be better than his (I was actually quite happy with
> it in my machine).
>
> I started by deleting his old card from his computer (drivers,
> software, etc.,) and putting my GeForce 4 in an open PCI slot. I fired
> his machine up. I had downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and
> installed them after the computer booted up. It said to reboot again,
> so I did. But it kept restarting before finally going into safe mode.
> I eventually got that problem solved by switching PCI slots on the
> mobo. Now to my main concern.
>
> After getting everything loaded and the display settings set to the
> way I wanted, I decided to test out some of his games already loaded
> on his machine to see how much better they would look. To my surprise,
> the two games I tested out looked horrible with the MX 420 in and his
> computer actually seems like it is running slower now. The mouse is
> really lagging on the screen (moves and stops, moves and stops) and
> when I move the cursor over a menu, it takes the cursor way longer to
> move to what I clicked on or to what I am pointing to. Star Wars
> Battlefront looked alot worse than it did on his GeForce 2 (the nice
> blue skies are now just black screen and when I tried to detect best
> configuration in the video options, it set everything to low details).
> GTA 3 was also very "smeary" looking (the colours on the screen were
> all washed out and blended together - could hardly see the pictures on
> the screen while it loaded).
>
> Did I do something wrong when changing over the card or something to
> cause this? Do the games need to be deleted and reloaded with the new
> card in now to take advantage of the new card( I tried configuring the
> options in each game, but to no avail)? Or is the GeForce2 MX 200 just
> a better card than the GeForce4 MX 420 for his machine?
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the length
> of this post.
>
> TIA,
> Mike

The GF4 model should perform a little better. Your problem is more than
likely the new NV drivers. I suggest you return to an older version
closer to the one supplied with the card. I personally have found the
56.nn version to be the best for the older GF4 models I deal with.
Otherwise, a quick check in the BIOS settings may reveal some optimum
performance problems as well.

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Thanks Thagor. Was thinking of rolling back the drivers as my last resort
(nothing else has improved the performance up to now), will definitely give
that a try right now.

Mike