128MB on a 4xAGP graphic card

Ale

Hi everyone,
i have a question. I own an ECS K7S5A motherboard with 4x AGP slot where I
have installed an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 with 64MB of memory. I would like
to know if exists a graphic card with at least 128MB and a 4x AGP interface.
If it does not, I wonder if it's possible to install a 8x graphic card on my
4x slot. Thanks to everybody who would like to answer.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

You can install an 8x card but it will run at 4x. You may not notice a
difference.

DaveL

"ale" <ale@ale.it> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> i have a question. I own an ECS K7S5A motherboard with 4x AGP slot where I
> have installed an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 with 64MB of memory. I would like
> to know if exists a graphic card with at least 128MB and a 4x AGP
> interface. If it does not, I wonder if it's possible to install a 8x
> graphic card on my 4x slot. Thanks to everybody who would like to answer.

"ale" <ale@ale.it> wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
> i have a question. I own an ECS K7S5A motherboard with 4x AGP slot where I
> have installed an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 with 64MB of memory. I would like
> to know if exists a graphic card with at least 128MB and a 4x AGP
interface.
> If it does not, I wonder if it's possible to install a 8x graphic card on
my
> 4x slot. Thanks to everybody who would like to answer.

If your goal is to get better video subsystem performance, ANY card on the
market today is a better performer than what you have installed.

Your criteria of 8x AGP and local video ram are on the wrong side of the
decimal point in your equation, if you get my analogy.

Perhaps the new 6200 series are appropriate for your circumstances?

Yes, you can install an 8X card and it will run at your motherboard's 4X.

--
DaveW

"ale" <ale@ale.it> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> i have a question. I own an ECS K7S5A motherboard with 4x AGP slot where I
> have installed an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 with 64MB of memory. I would like
> to know if exists a graphic card with at least 128MB and a 4x AGP
> interface. If it does not, I wonder if it's possible to install a 8x
> graphic card on my 4x slot. Thanks to everybody who would like to answer.

Ale

Thank you. I know that I would not obtain so much better performances, but
my goal is to buy a more recent g-card without changing my motherboard. I
posted this question because when I installed a 4x card on a 2x slot it
didn't work and I fear to have the same problem with an 8x card on a 4x
motherboard.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> You can install an 8x card but it will run at 4x. You may not notice a
> difference.
>
> DaveL
>

> "ale" <ale@ale.it> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone,
>> i have a question. I own an ECS K7S5A motherboard with 4x AGP slot where
>> I have installed an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 with 64MB of memory. I would
>> like to know if exists a graphic card with at least 128MB and a 4x AGP
>> interface. If it does not, I wonder if it's possible to install a 8x
>> graphic card on my 4x slot. Thanks to everybody who would like to answer.

check the manufacturers web site for specs, but for example I
installed a radeon 9500 in a soyo dragon plus agp x4 motherboard just
fine. 8x agp is really not that important, like the other post said you
won't see a huge difference in most cases.

An 8x card will work just fine in your system. And no, there's no
performance loss running the card at AGP4x.

I have the same motherboarding, running an ATI 9800Pro.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:30:38 +0100, "ale" <ale@ale.it> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>i have a question. I own an ECS K7S5A motherboard with 4x AGP slot where I
>have installed an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 with 64MB of memory. I would like
>to know if exists a graphic card with at least 128MB and a 4x AGP interface.
>If it does not, I wonder if it's possible to install a 8x graphic card on my
>4x slot. Thanks to everybody who would like to answer.

Threre are lots of AGP 4x cards with 128MB of memory, but any
8x card will run at 4x in your mainboard.

Ale

Thank you all

ale wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> i have a question. I own an ECS K7S5A motherboard with 4x AGP slot where I
> have installed an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 with 64MB of memory. I would like
> to know if exists a graphic card with at least 128MB and a 4x AGP
> interface. If it does not, I wonder if it's possible to install a 8x
> graphic card on my 4x slot. Thanks to everybody who would like to answer.

i'm running an 8x nVidia fx5200 on my k7s5a as we speak. :) the 8x will run
at 4x speed, but good for future use in an 8x board.

--redpill

Ale

Thank you