Nvidia Power Supply Requirement?

My friend has a Asus MB (P3/700). He tried to upgrade his video card today
with a fx 5700le and a fx 5500 OC. Neither would boot in windows in normal
rez modes. Tech support said he needs a minimum 15 amps on the 12 volt side
of the power supply and he only has 8.

Is this true?

thx

bob

Aye, 8 Amps is a bit low, sounds like a 250W power supply. got an old 250W
power supply in the bottom of my cupboard, had a wee look at it the 12v rail
and it is rated at 8 Amps. Time for a new power supply, but.

Another problem could be that motherboard, being a P3 @ 700MHz I imagine the
motherboard is a bit old. Is the motherboard compatible with the card.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/10,63.html

What model is the board? and what makes of video card? .A bit more info
about the hardware of the PC would help, can only guess what the problem is
at the moment.
Have a look on the Asus and video cards web sites for more info